Noobie here..What else do I need?

Discuss CD+G's, VCD's, song book creators, and any other karaoke related software.
scotty-s

Noobie here..What else do I need?

Post by scotty-s »

First time poster. I found this site while looking for help in what else is needed for me to have an at home karaoke system.
This is the equipment that I already have:

B52 Matrix 1000V2 active speaker system

Behringer Xenyx 1202fx Mixer

BBE 482i Maximizer

I purchased these items several months ago for an outdoor movie project for my backyard. A few weeks ago we went to our first Karaoke party and had a great time. Got me to thinking about having my own karaoke system for party's at our house.
With already having the above equipment it seems that all i need is to buy a Karaoke host software for my laptop...?? (which would connect to my mixer). I already have a 19"tv monitor that I can use to view words.
The confusing part of it for me is where do I get the music. Do I buy and download songs from internet?? or do I need to buy cdg's and then rip them into files on a hard drive? What are my options. Thank you...

mnementh

Post by mnementh »

Hi Scotty-S

Welcome to the forum.

You have various options, most of which you already seem to have covered.

Most of the major Karaoke brand names now sell downloadable Karaoke tracks as MP3+G files and that is one way to get started. However, this will cost you a pretty penny.

Alternative means could be to go on Ebay or equivalent and buy up job lots of CDG discs (there are usually loads of them) and rip to MP3+G yourself.

While much cheaper, it will still cost in time and effort.

However, one major plus point of this method is that you will have the physical discs to back up any claim that you have broken copyright regulations by having the MP3+G version.

Do NOT be put off by those who say you can't media convert!

Best of luck and have fun.

Sandy.
DanG2006

Post by DanG2006 »

As long as he is only doing private parties for no pay then downloaded songs are okay. It's when you get to the commercial application that it gets dicy in the United States as there is no single licensing agent for commercial karaoke downloads.
As long as you keep the receipts for the songs then you should be alright in my opinion.

As to sources, there are a few out there.
Some I use or used to use:
Karaoke Version
www.tricerasoft.com
www.sbikaraoke.com

Tricerasoft is an agent for various manufacturers while the other two are actual manufacturers of karaoke.