Cloud computing and Karaoke..questions..??

Discuss CD+G's, VCD's, song book creators, and any other karaoke related software.
PCDJRyan

Post by PCDJRyan »

Well, businesses rely on SaaS type setups all the time - I suppose it simply comes down to faith and trust. We do things based on faith all the time - such as get into our car and drive with ample crazies on the road. I guess that also comes down to trust in one's abilities as well...so maybe a poor analogy.

I know the crew there, they're a good group and they're doing a lot in the space already (just launched their iPhone app yesterday for instance) I suppose if this did happen for some reason, you would just have to be forced to do what you originally didn't want to, buy the tunes outright.

I'm not a big "what if" guy. If I were I probably wouldn't have helped start the worlds first DJ software company to try and get DJ's to use windows 95 machines instead of their Turntables or CD players. Things change, trust is gained and we all evolve...

To each their own, choices are great.

wiseguy
Site Admin

Post by wiseguy »

So you think people should replace a guarantee with faith and trust? Like with any other venture, building a karaoke entertainment business means making sound business decisions. You would never take "trust me those speakers will last for years" as a guarantee from a store.

It's not a question of whether or not you're a "what if" guy. It's about taking steps to insure there are no surprises so big that you lose what has taken years to build up. That is exactly the chance you would take with the cloud system.

I don't know how your analogy of starting a software company fits here. What one thing could have put an end to your software business the way that losing an entire karaoke song library would end a KJs business.

In my opinion the karaoke cloud for home use... no problem, for professional use... no way.
How to Build a Home Karaoke System
PCDJRyan

Post by PCDJRyan »

The terms and conditions state the service will be for 12 months, it's a contract of sorts, so I suppose that's as close to a guarantee you'll get. Funny, the only real guarantee's I'm aware of in life are death and taxes ;)

You're absolutely entitled to this opinion, and again, I understand you points entirely. Thankfully, there is already a growing contingent of KJ's that believe otherwise. It's been a successful launch so far. I think most of the signups are newer KJ's, DJ's wanting to add karaoke to their businesses and some venues.

Thanks for the conversation wiseguy!
wiseguy
Site Admin

Post by wiseguy »

Only death and taxes? That guarantee you got with your new car wasn't real? Lets not get ridiculous. And that 12 month contract is in no way a guarantee.

Actually, it's more than just my opinion, it's an obvious fact. A new KJ could go with this cloud system and do great for a a couple years or so, building a good reputation and securing weekly gigs. Then if something happens to Digitrax (and you know as well as I that supposedly stable companies go belly up all the time) they're suddenly faced with a huge investment or lose everything they worked for.

I realize that since you have the only hosting software that supports the cloud at this time that you have much to gain from new cloud customers. So it only makes sense that you would defend the system and that's your prerogative.

I, on the other hand, am compelled to point out this type of thing to the visitors of this forum to maybe help them make more informed decisions.

And to Digitrax, if anyone there happens to read this, bring back the KJ Media Pro.
PCDJRyan

Post by PCDJRyan »

It's OK. I was joking, simply adding some levity to the discussion. I understand this is your business and you take it seriously, as you should.

Of course, one could use the cloud for a time and build their own purchased songs library while doing so. Use it for a year until your catalog is sufficient, and move on.

It's a personal decision, and as with anything it has it's pro's and con's. From our companies standpoint we wouldn't have taken the last 6 months building out the cloud infrastructure and DRM system if we didn't think Digitrax has a bright future with their platform. Again, the consumer KC side is now alive and well...

Thanks again, I'll let this thread be now.
jenstephen

Post by jenstephen »

Cloud Computing is bringing us many very cool things. . Moving desktop software to the cloud will benefit software companies and their clients.

Cloud desktop
mnementh

Post by mnementh »

jenstephen wrote:Cloud Computing is bringing us many very cool things. . Moving desktop software to the cloud will benefit software companies and their clients.

Cloud desktop
It'll benefit the software companies, definitely.

As I'm a firm believer in there being no such thing as a free lunch, all it really means is the software providers have figured out a better method of screwing the public out of even more money.

Sandy.