Cloud computing and Karaoke..questions..??

Discuss CD+G's, VCD's, song book creators, and any other karaoke related software.
Unlimited MP3+G Downloads
Leikindawg

Cloud computing and Karaoke..questions..??

Post by Leikindawg »

Hey everybody, Im relatively new to karaoke and am trying to build an elite system. I heard that subscriptions to cloud karaoke libraries can be bought. I wanted to know more about this, how much they cost , where to buy subscriptions, any criticism or praises from people who have used cloud libraries for karaoke.

DanG2006

Post by DanG2006 »

My biggest worry about the karaoke cloud is internet reliability. One buffering message and you're as out of luck as if you had stayed disc based.
Also the cost isn't worth it to me. $199 a month, $99 a month if bought a year at a time.
How to Build a Home Karaoke System
PCDJRyan

Post by PCDJRyan »

Hello Leikindawg (And everyone else! It's my first post here, nice community of KJ's you have here!)

Ryan here from PCDJ, our Karaoki software is the first to include the Karaoke Cloud Pro subscription. There seems to be some misconceptions about how the cloud service works - the major one being that you need an active internet connection to use the service and that's it's "streaming"

Please review our web page we've built to explain the service in more detail. I invite you to watch the 2 videos we have posted as well. Hopefully this can clear up many of the questions you may have:
http://www.pcdj.com/karaoki-and-karaoke-cloud-pro

Furthermore, you do not have to pay for 12 months in advance to get the $99 price, you just have to agree to a 12 month contract.

Thanks!
DanG2006

Post by DanG2006 »

my biggest problem is that I don't want to pay for another software when I have a perfectly fine software that apparently has decided not to support the cloud or is still thinking over whether to support it or not. I need the cloud to work with my present software (Compuhost V1) or I will not subscribe.
PCDJRyan

Post by PCDJRyan »

That makes sense to me Dan. I guess if you're really interested you should keep requesting CompuHost add the KCP service. So it's clear, I don't represent Digitrax or the Cloud, we're just the first to work with them to implement the service into our product Karaoki.

Thanks
wiseguy
Site Admin

Post by wiseguy »

Welcome to the forum PCDJRyan!

Thanks for clearing up a couple of issues with the karaoke cloud. I suppose it might be more accurately labeled as a semi-cloud system. The big problem I continue to have with the cloud over the KJ Media Pro system is that you never own any of the music you pay for. Lets just say that I'm not a fan of "renting" music.
PCDJRyan

Post by PCDJRyan »

Indeed, and I get that. It's probably not the optimal choice for those with catalogs already, or with the initial capital to invest in a library. However, for many new KJ's (or venues for that matter) I think it's a great option. 8000 plus quality tunes straight away, and they know they are doing things legally. We haven't had our official launch yet and have had quite a few users come aboard already.

I think ownership of music in general for the "younger generation" isn't nearly as important as was. People are used to renting their tunes ala Spotify, Rdio, etc. As CD sales and one-off download purchases plummet, these sites are exploding with new users. I think a lot of is trust in new technology.

We'll see, and thanks for the welcome!
mnementh

Post by mnementh »

What happens if you decide to give up the Cloud subsciption?

Do the songs you have already downloaded continue to play, after the subsciption lapses?

Sandy
wiseguy
Site Admin

Post by wiseguy »

mnementh wrote:What happens if you decide to give up the Cloud subsciption?

Do the songs you have already downloaded continue to play, after the subsciption lapses?

Sandy
You download the entire library and use all the songs as long as you pay the monthly fee. It's a "rental" system. When the subscription runs out you have NO songs.
mr.dj

Post by mr.dj »

If you stop paying the songs stop playing, also if digitracks fail and go belly you will be left with nothing.
wiseguy
Site Admin

Post by wiseguy »

mr.dj wrote:If you stop paying the songs stop playing, also if digitracks fail and go belly you will be left with nothing.
Another good point. Your entire business could depend on Digitrax staying in business.
mnementh

Post by mnementh »

wiseguy wrote:
mnementh wrote:What happens if you decide to give up the Cloud subsciption?

Sandy
You download the entire library and use all the songs as long as you pay the monthly fee. It's a "rental" system. When the subscription runs out you have NO songs.
In which case, as far as I'm concerned, they can stick it in their ear or any other orifice they wish.

Sandy.
DanG2006

Post by DanG2006 »

The price has come down to $99 a month. Guess they are having issues with getting people to subscribe at $199 a month. Wonder why(sarcastically said).

My only issue is that only PCDJ Karaoki will play these files.
PCDJRyan

Post by PCDJRyan »

To clear up confusion a bit, the service was always going to be $99 a month if you sign up for a 12 month contract. It's $199 if you go month to month. We also send you $300 (or more if you pay for 2 months in advance you get $500) in Karaoke Cloud (consumer edition) gift cards you can either sell or give away to patrons.

The KCP is clearly not for everyone. We're finding most of the new signups to be new KJ's or those that simply don't have the money to go out and purchase a package like the Gem Series from SC. There are quite a few seasoned KJ's using it to supplement their existing collections however.

Again, I believe we're stepping into a new age of how people aggregate and perform with their media. Kids don't buy music anymore, they "rent" it using one of the popular streaming services. (for instance, while I'm no kid I subscribe to Rdio - I haven't purchased new music in over a year). As this generation steps into the work force it's only natural for them to consider a platform such as the cloud.

I mean, it's not as if you're left with nothing after renting - you did make revenue ala your performances, no? Keep in mind new music is released monthly, and a service like this can allow manufacturers to once again start publishing new music. Digitrax is set to release a handful of new tunes a month that will instantly be available in the cloud.

As most of you know, the download stores like karaoke downloads are not legal for commercial use in the US. It's my understand that NO karaoke digital downloads in the US can be used commercially. This means that you're either buying collections like the Gem series to easily go digital or you're ripping your own CDG's 1 for 1. This Cloud makes it all easy - time = money.

I totally understand why some are skeptical or down right negative about the technology. There is validity to your remarks. Although you just have to see the forest through the cloud and understand why a service like this can solve a problem for many.
wiseguy
Site Admin

Post by wiseguy »

PCDJRyan wrote:I totally understand why some are skeptical or down right negative about the technology. There is validity to your remarks. Although you just have to see the forest through the cloud and understand why a service like this can solve a problem for many.
I can see where this system could be a "dream come true" for a start up KJ with little money to invest in music. I can also see how it could easily become their "worst nightmare" if after they establish their business Digitrax goes belly up. What kind of guarantee is offered to those who would put the fate of their business into hands of Digitrax?