PCDJ vs Karma

Discuss CD+G's, VCD's, song book creators, and any other karaoke related software.
Fourlix

PCDJ vs Karma

Post by Fourlix »

I guess these guys used to be linked up, but have gone their separate ways. Karma is processor hungry, and I haven't heard anything good about their customer service.....How does PCDJ compare? I am converting from old school JVC triple CDG player to a Windows 7, 250 gig hardrive with 2gigs of Ram with a dual core processor and a dual output video card. This is for my restaurant, where I host. Any help would be appreciated...thank you.

mnementh

Post by mnementh »

OK, first up, welcome to the forum.

If you haven't heard anything good about Latshaw systems, then you've been talking to the wrong people.

I've had nothing but excellent service from them, with prompt replies to any query I've put forward.

As for Karma v PCDJ, there is NO comparison.

As far as I'm concerned, Karma is the BEST Karaoke software out there, bar none.

The one and only downside is indeed, the fact that it's CPU hungry but if you're using a dual core processor, you should be fine.

If you're worried, download the demo version and try it.

PCDJ in NOT, in fact a KJ hoster program of itself but there is a modified version called PCDJ Karaoki (with an i, not an e) that is used as a hoster.

I found it a pain in the butt to register files into a database and confusing to use.

If you have a concern about CPU compatability, then look rather at "Just Karaoke", a feature rich software that has "most" of Karma's capability at half the cost.

My viewpoint is known on this BBs, that Karma is "simply the best" but I accept there are other choices.

PCDJ Karaoki isn't one of them.

Sandy.
wiseguy
Site Admin

Re: PCDJ vs Karma

Post by wiseguy »

Fourlix wrote:I guess these guys used to be linked up, but have gone their separate ways. Karma is processor hungry, and I haven't heard anything good about their customer service.....How does PCDJ compare? I am converting from old school JVC triple CDG player to a Windows 7, 250 gig hardrive with 2gigs of Ram with a dual core processor and a dual output video card. This is for my restaurant, where I host. Any help would be appreciated...thank you.
Welcome to the Forum. I have also heard from others that the Karma customer service was weak. Actually I think some forum members here have mentioned it also. You can expect differing opinions on hosting applications and mine is just another one.

I don't care much for Karma's user interface. It's just clunky to me. My favorite program to date is JustKaraoke. It is very fast, requires little system resources, and has all the features you're likely to need.

I tried out PCDJ Karaoki and found it to be better than I expected it to be. One advantage it has over any other hosting software at this point is that it will allow you to connect to the Karaoke Cloud service and get an instant library of over 8,000 karaoke songs for a $99 monthly fee.
Fourlix

Post by Fourlix »

Can it run two different screens, and can I use customer's cdgs? Even if I have to copy them to the hard drive first, that would be okay. And what about a ripper to do this ? Does it come with one ? Thanks guys
DanG2006

Post by DanG2006 »

I would be leary about importing other outside discs as you might have to come up with those discs in response to SC if that is the brand they bring in. I would be leary of any brand but especially SC's as they are okay with 1:1 ratio behind ownership of discs to back up the songs being played. But with those outside discs you are better off with a switchbox and your JVC as an outside player. I use COmpuhost and if usb ports weren't limited to two on my laptop then I would be running a video capture device alonside my choice of software which is Compuhost. Compuhost 2 allows for playing outside discs in the que.
My second choice would also be JustKaraoke.
Fourlix

Post by Fourlix »

I am not following....What is SC? I have a lot of discs already, and my friends have more. I plan on putting them all on the hardrive, and then start buying individual songs that I need, or that somebody wants, one at a time. The cloud thing is unappealling and way too much money. Buying individual songs for $1.50 sounds good, and I see that on PCDJ Karaoki, which I have a trial version of. I also downloaded a trial of Karma, but I really haven't had a good run of either. they are both $99 and PCDJ karoaki comes with a ripper,,,,audiograbber. So I am still confused and very much undecided......
wiseguy
Site Admin

Post by wiseguy »

SC stands for Sound Choice a karaoke disc manufacturer.

Here's the deal. Sound Choice does not allow the ripping of their songs to a computer hard drive unless you submit to an audit of your hard drive to assure that you have the original disc for every SC song.

To be legal you MUST have the original disc for every song on your hard drive. This means you cannot rip the songs from your friends discs or those of customers. If you get busted with songs on you hard drive without possessing the original disc you are in a world of trouble.

The karaoke cloud is only a good idea for someone who does not have much karaoke music and wants to start out with a good library of songs without investing thousands of dollars up front.

The Audiograbber program is freeware and is known for producing inferior rips. I prefer to use Power CD+G Burner for ripping my discs. So do many others. You didn't mention trying JustKaraoke. At the price of $49 you could also purchase Power CD+G Burner for $39 and still pay less than the $99 the other programs cost.
Fourlix

Post by Fourlix »

I downloaded the trial for JustKaraoke....And I really like the alphabetized song list with everything on it. Seems like the PCDJ has a confusing list of songs, grouped and not alphabetized. I searched for a couple of obscure songs and found them easily on JustKaraoke. It says it supports two screens also. SO.....JustKaraoke is looking pretty good, and it is cheap. Any last thoughts???? Thanks guys,,,
DanG2006

Post by DanG2006 »

You can save even more if you get cdgrip which is freeware but if you have custom discs like I do, the last ten discs I purchased have either been all star customs or Clark music customs. I only get the songs now that are requested from my singers and no longer worry about whether or not I have the latest songs that are available for karaoke. All that matters to me is if they get sung or not as to whether or not I get them or not.
CDGrip has the easiest naming function when it comes to discs not in the cddb or if they are customs. The quality of rips is almost as good as powerkaraoke. The actual thing that powerkaraoke's ripper/burner has over cdgrip is mediacloq discs that Sound Choice put out. Otherwise they are about equal. The naming of individual tracks is superior on cdgrip over powerkaraoke.

You might want to invest in Super remote request tool which allows you to rid yourself of books and slips. You set up terminals in the restaurant to enter the songs into your host computer. this requires either an Ethernet or wireless setup between the hosting computer and how ever many terminal computers you wish to setup.
wiseguy
Site Admin

Post by wiseguy »

DanG2006 wrote:The actual thing that powerkaraoke's ripper/burner has over cdgrip is mediacloq discs that Sound Choice put out. Otherwise they are about equal.
Power CD+G Burner has a few more features than that over CDGRIP. It will also...

Burn CD+G discs.
Create CD+G discs using karaoke songs downloaded from the MP3+G or ZIP formats.
Copy CD+G discs.
Create custom compilation CDG discs.
Change the key of the karaoke song before burning.
Convert between several karaoke file formats.
Supports KMA and MCG files.
Built-in label printer.
DanG2006

Post by DanG2006 »

Still if you're going digital you only need the ripping part. both will rip to either mp3+g or Mp3+g zipped depending on what you tell it to do. I have both because I needed a software to rip my two Media cloqed discs that I own. I now buy only custom discs to augment what I already have without having to buy filler music. CDGrip is better suited for this sort of importing due to the ease of naming the files. I was only referring to the ripping process. I have no need of the other features of Powerkaraoke's ripper and see no need for them if you are truly going digital.
wiseguy
Site Admin

Post by wiseguy »

A lot of KJs are still using discs. When I go to one of their shows I will make a custom disc to take with me. It's nice to have a program that will turn the ripped songs back into a CDG disc.
DanG2006

Post by DanG2006 »

Not in my neighborhood. All computer in my area. If I want to bring songs I know they don't have it has to be on zip drive and even then I don't trust them to not make a copy of the songs so that they now have some of what I have.
wiseguy
Site Admin

Post by wiseguy »

In my area I would say at least half are still using discs. It would be interesting to know the national statistics on this.