Best Hosting Program as of 2013?

Discuss CD+G's, VCD's, song book creators, and any other karaoke related software.
Bigdog

Best Hosting Program as of 2013?

Post by Bigdog »

OK....I might be in the market to change my hosting program from Sax & Dottys to something else.

Something simple with easy to use features without a lot of screen jumping.

S & D works with win amp.

Is this the best program or is there something better than win amp?

And is the Operating system (compatability) a factor in which programs to use....Like XP or Vista or Windows 7...

DanG2006

Post by DanG2006 »

Personally if money is a factor then I would go with JustKaraoke, If you believe that you get what you pay for then Compuhost or Video Hoster is the best since they costs the most. I prefer Compuhost over Video Hoster cause you don't have to convert your files over to hoster's data format.
Winamp has always been great for music, not so great for karaoke as it relies on thrid party plugins to play the files. Justkaraoke, Compuhost & Video hoster are standalone programs that don't rely on third party plugins.
wiseguy
Site Admin

Post by wiseguy »

If you need a lot of bells and whistles then Video Hoster is the one for you as no other hosting program has more features.

If you simply want a fast, light weight, easy to use program, that has the basic karaoke hosting features, then JustKaraoke can't be beat.

Like Dan, I've never cared for Winamp based hosting plugins like S&D.
DanG2006

Post by DanG2006 »

I happen to disagree with the assessment that video hoster has more features than Compuhost.
Video Hoster does not have the capability to play SUpercd+Gs or has a kiosk built into it. Does not have KJMedia Pro so that one does not have to be online to get new songs. AS to rippers, the outside ripper comes with COmpuhost and allows you to rip and send the file info to compuhost once ripped. AS to songlists, it is the most versatile of songlist makers as you can export the list from the database of Compuhost by either manu numbers or compuhost codes to a csv file compatable with any songbook program that can accept csv files, including excel.
wiseguy
Site Admin

Post by wiseguy »

Do a side by side comparison of ALL features offered by CompuHost and Video Hoster and you'll see which one offers the most.
mr.dj

Post by mr.dj »

DanG2006 wrote:I happen to disagree with the assessment that video hoster has more features than Compuhost.
Video Hoster does not have the capability to play SUpercd+Gs or has a kiosk built into it. Does not have KJMedia Pro so that one does not have to be online to get new songs. AS to rippers, the outside ripper comes with COmpuhost and allows you to rip and send the file info to compuhost once ripped. AS to songlists, it is the most versatile of songlist makers as you can export the list from the database of Compuhost by either manu numbers or compuhost codes to a csv file compatable with any songbook program that can accept csv files, including excel.
As a video Hoster user I would like to point out that the points you are talking about are not all included in the cost of the original program apart from the super cdg play ability.

The kiosk is only available at the extra cost of $99.95
The songbook software Fasttracks V2 songbook software is from $69.95 to 99.95 extra cost to the original program. Plus you have to pay for monthly updates of between $14.95 a month to $29.95 for 6 months. The Kj media pro is again only available at extra cost.

You can export a songbook list lists from Hoster as a rtf text file which can be converted to csv or txt format for use in any other software.

You can also produce singers data bases or complete history lists that can be exported and converted to other format to use in other database.

I'm not saying Hoster is better than Compuhost as I think it is a matter of personnel taste but I personally like the playlist layout better in Hoster.
Hoster does not employ auto rotation playlist that compuhost has but an as you see it rotaion list. An auto rotation list is in the works but I am not a fan of these types of lists which is one of the reasons I chose Hoster in the first place.

Another mistaken statement made was "I prefer Compuhost over Video Hoster cause you don't have to convert your files over to hoster's data format. "
Although direct CD's import as KMA files you can import files in almost any other karaoke format available plus you can import almost any audio or video formats available providing you have the codecs installed for the types.
mnementh

Post by mnementh »

Afraid I'm going to be my sad old self and come down firmly for Karma.

Keep your Video Hoster, etc. As far as I'm concerned, a better designed program for Karaoke has not been made to beat Karma.

The major and I DO admit it's a major hassle, is that you MUST have a network connection to download and install it PLUS it uses Microsoft's .NET Framework extensively.

Also it's CPU power hungry, so realistically, you'll need a 2 core PC or laptop to run it.

Yes, I admith these issues might be detrimental but as I say, I've tried 'em all and none are a patch on Karma as a Karaoke Hoster.

The interface is VERY user friendly. It catalogues it's database lightning quick and it's search engine is second to none.

However, I will agree that if budget, or CPU power are a consideration, Just Karaoke is king.

Bigdog, I started out with Sax 'n Dotty but binned it immediately on finding Karma.

Sandy.
DanG2006

Post by DanG2006 »

mr.dj wrote:
DanG2006 wrote:I happen to disagree with the assessment that video hoster has more features than Compuhost.
As a video Hoster user I would like to point out that the points you are talking about are not all included in the cost of the original program apart from the super cdg play ability.

The kiosk is only available at the extra cost of $99.95
The songbook software Fasttracks V2 songbook software is from $69.95 to 99.95 extra cost to the original program. Plus you have to pay for monthly updates of between $14.95 a month to $29.95 for 6 months. The Kj media pro is again only available at extra cost.

You can export a songbook list lists from Hoster as a rtf text file which can be converted to csv or txt format for use in any other software.

You can also produce singers data bases or complete history lists that can be exported and converted to other format to use in other database.

I'm not saying Hoster is better than Compuhost as I think it is a matter of personnel taste but I personally like the playlist layout better in Hoster.
Hoster does not employ auto rotation playlist that compuhost has but an as you see it rotaion list. An auto rotation list is in the works but I am not a fan of these types of lists which is one of the reasons I chose Hoster in the first place.

Another mistaken statement made was "I prefer Compuhost over Video Hoster cause you don't have to convert your files over to hoster's data format. "
Although direct CD's import as KMA files you can import files in almost any other karaoke format available plus you can import almost any audio or video formats available providing you have the codecs installed for the types.
Yeah but if you find a software that has all that after first trying hoster and ripping to the KMA format then to reconvert you have to buy therir converter tool. Or purchase Powerkaraoke's ripper.
So what I had to purchase the kiosk, song book program etc., Comes with the territory if you want the best. I won't use a program that does not have kiosk capability or kjmediapro capability as well. That is one thing that it doesn't cost extra for unless you count paying for the songs.
I got lucky and got grandfathered in the updates for fast tracks for life. I knda wish they'd bring that back as it was a great selling point of Fast Tracks, which I believe to be the best songbook software there is. Music book is great if you need to rename files as they have a renamer that works as long as you have a valid subscription to their updates.
DanG2006

Post by DanG2006 »

I'm for any program that can ease the life of the KJ so that they can get out and do what they really are there to do such as encourage singers to sing, set the mix right for every singer etc. I prefer the auto rotation features of Compuhost, one of them was my suggestion.
mnementh

Post by mnementh »

Here's a thought for you Bigdog.

Several years ago, I remember reading a story and I do accept it might be "Urban Myth" but the thinking still applies.

A man was looking for an electrician to wire his new house but there were so many available in his home town and he kept getting different opinions from his friends, that he couldn't make up his mind who to choose.

So he devised a simple plan.

He wrote to every electrician in town and asked them to list THEIR top 10 "sparkies" in order of general ability/skill, etc.

He then chose the electrician who came up second in the various lists most often.

Obviously the electrician who wrote the list would pick himself first but hopefully would choose his second man honestly.

Given that criterion, Just Karaoke is your program of choice as it's been most often recommended as a second choice.

Sandy. :mrgreen:
CORVETTE

Post by CORVETTE »

Why not just use Virtual DJ. Its easy to use and you can place the songs in order in a playlist and move them up and down accordingly.
wiseguy
Site Admin

Post by wiseguy »

Virtual DJ is DJ software that plays karaoke files. It is not hosting software and does not have important features like singer history, venue history, singer rotation, next singer display, etc.. A professional KJ wouldn't think of using it for hosting karaoke shows.
Bigdog

Post by Bigdog »

I'm trying to get away from Win Amp....

I would like singer history which most have now.

I hadn't considered the ability to write a song book from the program...

My song book consideration would be...it needs to do 3 columns.

So do you use a seperate song book program or can you do it from your hosting program.

Also how many have upgraded to Windows 7. Will your suggested program work with it?

Is anyone using a Mac to host?
mnementh

Post by mnementh »

CORVETTE wrote:Why not just use Virtual DJ. Its easy to use and you can place the songs in order in a playlist and move them up and down accordingly.
Without a shadow of doubt the worst Karaoke capable piece of software on the market.

Utterly useless as a hoster.

I wouldn't recommend my worst competitor to use it for Karaoke. I'd never be able to look myself in the mirror again.
wiseguy
Site Admin

Post by wiseguy »

I use KJ Pro for my song books. I still run XP on my karaoke laptops although JustKaraoke will run on Windows 7 and 8. There's too little karaoke software available for Mac computers.