Karma is broken?

Discuss CD+G's, VCD's, song book creators, and any other karaoke related software.
bamarama

Karma is broken?

Post by bamarama »

I am having a fit over this and I do not know what to do.

All of a sudden, my karma has stopped working. By this I mean that when I launch it, it says "Karma has stopped working" and it gives me the option to close or check online for a solution. Of course the check online does not give a solution. When I check the "view details" this is the resut:

Description:
Stopped working

Problem signature:
Problem Event Name: CLR20r3
Problem Signature 01: karma.exe
Problem Signature 02: 2011.7.30.0
Problem Signature 03: 4e347282
Problem Signature 04: Karma
Problem Signature 05: 2011.7.30.0
Problem Signature 06: 4e347282
Problem Signature 07: 29
Problem Signature 08: c6
Problem Signature 09: System.InvalidOperationException
OS Version: 6.2.9200.2.0.0.768.101
Locale ID: 1033

Does anyone have any ideas here? I have tried to re-install it and have tried just about everything. I have gone backc to a restore point before this stopped working but still the same result.

thoughts??

bamarama

Post by bamarama »

Oh, this is running on windows 8 as it always has. I have never run it on anything else.
Unlimited MP3+G Downloads
mr.dj

Post by mr.dj »

Have you read the frequently ask questions at the Latshaw site. The very last item there reads:
I installed the latest Karma and it won't run. What now?

There is a list of things to try.
bamarama

Post by bamarama »

Thank you for the reply.

I failed to say I have already tried the suggestions on the FAQ page. The issue is there are no suggestions for windows 8 as of yet. I did try the items set for windows 7, however, but they did not work. I have also reinstalled windows 8 and set it back to the factory settings. Still no luck.

I guess I will continue to try to figure something out.

I also tried to run windows in safe mode and launch the program. Still the same result >:(
mr.dj

Post by mr.dj »

I don't have Karma myself so can't be of much help but will make one suggestion as it caused similar problem with another program I have.

Right click on the icon and select properties, then the compatibility tab.

You should see a tick box for Run this program in compatibility mode, is that box ticked ?
If it is untick it and try running it again. If it isn't try ticking it and selecting a mode like Windows 7.

Just an thought :wink:
mnementh

Post by mnementh »

What actually happens when you try to re-install Karma.

Any error messages?

Any attempt install .NET Framework? (shouldn't be with Win8, I think)

Did you actually Un-install Karma before you attempted the re-install? This is unwise as you might have residual pieces of the software that screws up the new install.

Oh, also what version of Karma are you running.

If I was attempting a complete re-install, I would do the following and I can't stress enough that I have been working with (not using) PC's for years.

1) attempt an un-install then re-install

2) if 1 fails, un-install again then run Regedit from the START, RUN option.

WARNING;
at this point, if you screw your PC up, on your own head be it. I take no responsibility for it, whatsoever.

In Regedit, select the find option and search for any instance of Karma and delete the registry keys associated with it.

If Karma is THE ONLY Latshaw program you have, also search for and delete any key for Latshaw or Latshaw systems.

Ensure you have deleted any mention of Latshaw or Karma files/folders from your program files section of your drive.

At this point, re-boot your PC and attempt a re-install.

As you have removed any trace of Karma or Latshaw from your PC, the re-install "should" proceed as if for a Virgin install.

Again and I can't be any clearer, if you go for this option, you are doing so at your own risk.

Best of luck,

Sandy.
bamarama

Post by bamarama »

Thanks sandy. I will try the regedit approach. I do have to say that Latshaw has no interest in helping me with this.

I have told them everything I did and they said, and I do quote, "You didn’t try all of them, because if you did, it would be working."

After their lack of help, and poor poor customer service, I am not sure I wish to continue using the program.

I am very familiar with registry editing so do not fear of me destroying anything..lol

Thanks for the advice, and I will post results.
mnementh

Post by mnementh »

I have to say I'm hugely surprised at your experience with Latshaw.

Every time I've had any dealings with them, they've been nothing but helpful.

Best of luck, anyway.

Sandy.
bamarama

Post by bamarama »

I was surprised as well. It seemed as if they just didn't have time to take my emails and they were inconvenienced with them. What I posted was copied and pasted right out of the email. I too was surprised at the response.

I tried the suggestions you gave and nothing worked. I am installing a visual studio to help me debug the issue. I have been reading and have seen something as silly as a font out of place can cause a crash of this nature. Hopefully VS will help me locate the root of the problem.
bamarama

Post by bamarama »

ok, so far this is all I can find with the debugger.

'Karma.exe' (CLR v2.0.50727: Karma.exe): Loaded 'C:\Program Files (x86)\Karma\Infragistics2.Win.UltraWinGrid.v9.1.dll'. Cannot find or open the PDB file.
'Karma.exe' (CLR v2.0.50727: Karma.exe): Loaded 'C:\Program Files (x86)\Karma\Latshaw.LRMeters.dll'. Module was built without symbols.
'Karma.exe' (CLR v2.0.50727: Karma.exe): Loaded 'C:\Windows\assembly\GAC_MSIL\Microsoft.VisualStudio.Debugger.Runtime\12.0.0.0__b03f5f7f11d50a3a\Microsoft.VisualStudio.Debugger.Runtime.dll'.
'Karma.exe' (CLR v2.0.50727: DefaultDomain): Loaded 'C:\Windows\assembly\GAC_32\mscorlib\2.0.0.0__b77a5c561934e089\mscorlib.dll'. Symbols loaded.

looking for more error reports
bamarama

Post by bamarama »

'Karma.exe' (CLR v2.0.50727: Karma.exe): Loaded 'C:\Program Files (x86)\Karma\Infragistics2.Win.UltraWinGrid.v9.1.dll'. Cannot find or open the PDB file.

Any idea what the PDB file is??
mr.dj

Post by mr.dj »

Wonder if the DB part is database :wink:
wiseguy
Site Admin

Post by wiseguy »

If any company ever replied to me with a snide remark like you received I would tell them where they could shove their software. You are not the first here to complain about the Latshaw customer service.

I never did care for Karma. I don't like the interface, it's a resource hog, and apparently unstable.

I really have no idea how to fix your problem, or if it can be fixed. You said you reinstalled Windows 8. Was that a full disc format and reinstall because that is the only way you can truly have a "clean" copy. Simply doing a restore will reinstall system files but will probably not get rid of what is causing the problem.
mr.dj

Post by mr.dj »

This site has a bit of info on PDB files, might give you a clue but it is a database.
http://yourfileinfo.com/extension/pdb/amnis
mnementh

Post by mnementh »