Karma is broken?

Discuss CD+G's, VCD's, song book creators, and any other karaoke related software.
How to Build a Home Karaoke System
bamarama

Post by bamarama »

With windows 8, you can do a full system install by doing some things when the computer boots. What I did was not a restore, but a full reset to factory install settings.

Here is the crazy thing. Karma worked, and worked well for a long time.
One day I was going to update things and set a new skin but was unable to do so because of the error upon the launch.

As far as other programs, I do not use any other Latshaw software. When I re installed Karma, it did ask me to upgrade the, ummm, something redistributable 2005 file. My files were up to date upon the attempt to install these files. After the second attempt to install, it installed without any errors.

Wiseguy, if I may ask, what do you use? I like karma. I think the interface was very easy to use and navigate. I am, at this point, open to any suggestions. I do, however, hate the fact that i will have to pay for another program. But I am not happy with Latshaw in the slightest.

Thanks for the links, I am checking them out now.

DanG2006

Post by DanG2006 »

I personally use JustKaraoke, very simple to use but with all the bells and whistles of the other higher costing software at a very reasonable price. plus if you run connected to the internet you can add songs to your library on the fly at your shows. the only thing it won't do is play off a disc.
mnementh

Post by mnementh »

I love Karma to bits and think it's the best program bar none for Karaoke.

Like others on here, I would also recommend JustKaraoke as a very fine second recommendation.

Unlike Wiseguy, I find Karma FAR more user friendly than anything else on the market and massively superior to JustKaraoke.

However and I have admitted this before, Karma is ridiculously power hungry and can be a pig to install.

You MUST have a network connection to install it which is quite frankly, bonkers.

If you're running XP, it doesn't check to see if you have .NET Framework or the correct runtime libraries installed, it simply re-installs them.

This is why, I suspect bam is having the problem with Win 8, in that it will probably take a full re-install of the OS to get things back the way they were.

Given what you are saying, I would not be happy with Latshaw either, as you've paid good money for software and are not getting decent support but I can only reiterate that I have had nothing but good service from them.

As for other software, there is Compuhost (overpriced) or PCDJ Karaoki (lousy user interface) or various other simple freeware hosters from Tricerasoft and even Sunfly.

Even Karafun will get the job done.

As for DanG's comment about playing from a disc, I don't know any software that DOES play direct from a disc apart from Power Karaoke's CD+G Player Pro but that, of course, ONLY plays from discs.

Sandy.
wiseguy
Site Admin

Post by wiseguy »

bamarama wrote:With windows 8, you can do a full system install by doing some things when the computer boots. What I did was not a restore, but a full reset to factory install settings.

Here is the crazy thing. Karma worked, and worked well for a long time.
One day I was going to update things and set a new skin but was unable to do so because of the error upon the launch.

As far as other programs, I do not use any other Latshaw software. When I re installed Karma, it did ask me to upgrade the, ummm, something redistributable 2005 file. My files were up to date upon the attempt to install these files. After the second attempt to install, it installed without any errors.

Wiseguy, if I may ask, what do you use? I like karma. I think the interface was very easy to use and navigate. I am, at this point, open to any suggestions. I do, however, hate the fact that i will have to pay for another program. But I am not happy with Latshaw in the slightest.

Thanks for the links, I am checking them out now.
Yes, what you did was a "reset" to factory settings but that did not remove any corrupt files that may reside on your hard drive and possibly be causing the problem. Only a full format and reinstall can do this.

I used Video Hoster for a long time and still do on occasion but for the most part I use JustKaraoke because it's light, fast, does what I need a hosting program to do, and is very stable. TriceraSoft customer support is stellar.
wiseguy
Site Admin

Post by wiseguy »

mnementh wrote:As for DanG's comment about playing from a disc, I don't know any software that DOES play direct from a disc apart from Power Karaoke's CD+G Player Pro but that, of course, ONLY plays from discs.

Sandy.
Just FYI, Power CD+G Player Pro does play MP3+G files, along with AVI and MPG files, from a hard drive.

Video Hoster plays CD+G discs and I think maybe CompuHost does also. I don't need to be able to play discs as I no longer allow people to bring their own discs to a show.
DanG2006

Post by DanG2006 »

I will verify that the new version of Compuhost does indeed play not only CD+G discs but also SuperCD+G discs.
DanG2006

Post by DanG2006 »

I will verify that the new version of Compuhost does indeed play not only CD+G discs but also SuperCD+G discs.
mnementh

Post by mnementh »

wiseguy wrote:Just FYI, Power CD+G Player Pro does play MP3+G files, along with AVI and MPG files, from a hard drive.
Ah me! Learning all the time. :oops:

To be fair, I never used it as a hoster, only to check CD+G discs that I had burned to make sure they were OK.

Sandy.
wiseguy
Site Admin

Post by wiseguy »

mnementh wrote:
wiseguy wrote:Just FYI, Power CD+G Player Pro does play MP3+G files, along with AVI and MPG files, from a hard drive.
Ah me! Learning all the time. :oops:

To be fair, I never used it as a hoster, only to check CD+G discs that I had burned to make sure they were OK.

Sandy.
I would never use Power CD+G Player Pro as a hosting application because it doesn't have hosting features. There are lots of karaoke file playing programs around but they cannot be hosting applications unless they have hosting features like song database creation, song search, singer rotation, singer history, etc..
ServalTavad

Post by ServalTavad »

I suggest using Karaoke CD+G Creator. It allows to create a CD+G karaoke song from scratch or can import CD+G or KAR (MIDI Karaoke) files (tool for searching for MIDI karaoke on the web is included).
DanG2006

Post by DanG2006 »

ServalTavad wrote:I suggest using Karaoke CD+G Creator. It allows to create a CD+G karaoke song from scratch or can import CD+G or KAR (MIDI Karaoke) files (tool for searching for MIDI karaoke on the web is included).
the original poster was asking for hosting software not creating software, although i feel that cd+g Creator is by far the easiest to use.