Karma-good program...unless you need tech support

Discuss CD+G's, VCD's, song book creators, and any other karaoke related software.
Unlimited MP3+G Downloads
vbevans

Karma-good program...unless you need tech support

Post by vbevans »

Decided to upgrade to Windows 10, so being cautious I deactivated my Karma install figuring to reactivate after the upgrade. The Windows upgrade went off without a hitch. Not so the Karma re-activation. It refused to accept my key. I recalled a previous problem of this sort, and I recall being told to upgrade to the latest edition of Karma and it would work, so I upgraded my Karma to the latest. Activated fine, but now I had lost all my singer and media data. So I contacted Karaosoft tech support via their Facebook page as instructed on their web site. Following is the conversation thread. You be the judge as to whether I received proper attention.

Trying to activate Karma. When I enter my name and key I get the following:
Testing Connection to web service...

Connection Test Passed

Activating via web service...

The operation has timed out
18 hours ago

Make sure our web site comes up quickly. If not it's an Internet network problem and those are usually fixed within 48 hours. If you don't want to wait connect through a different internet provider.
3 hours ago

OK, that problem solved, but now I've got real issues. Upgraded from 2013.11.27 to 2016.0.07. Lost all singer info, all fill music and a fair chunk of my karaoke music. Tried updating media database, but kept getting unhandled exception errors. Thankfully was able to back up to 2013.11.27 and everything is back. Is there a fix I can apply to get the update to work?
The 2015 version and later have a new data scheme and if you have files in history that have moved location since you first put them there, yes, you will lose them in the database. So either stick with 2014 or earlier or start your data from scratch and learn to not move your files.
about an hour ago

Perhaps you could enlighten me about what files I am alleged to have moved. To my knowledge I haven't moved any of Karma's files since first I installed it. A second question comes to mind. Why are you so confrontational in your reply. I'm just a customer seeking legitimate assistance, and I don't appreciate being talked down to.

Your media files.
...and you're not supposed to "appreciate" feeling inadequate, but your self esteem problem isn't something fixed by tech support. Get a shrink for that. In the meantime, I suggest taking the advice and stop analyzing how it makes you feel, because personally I don't give a crap how it makes you feel. It's the truth and if you start listening to truth, you won't have problems like this in the future.

Nice guy, huh!

wiseguy
Site Admin

Re: Karma-good program...unless you need tech support

Post by wiseguy »

I have heard that Karma has less than stellar customer service but this is ridiculous. Did they post this openly on their Facebook page or was it through PMs?
vbevans

Post by vbevans »

It was through PM which is the only way to get tech support from Karaosoft now. I of course took issue with his (or her) hatefulness-no profanity or name calling-and they responded by blocking me on Facebook, so I guess in the future if I need support for my legally purchased software I'm just SOL. Word to the wise.
wiseguy
Site Admin

Post by wiseguy »

You could post a screenshot of the conversation here to show everyone what they're like. Maybe they'll experience a little karma.
Paradigm Karaoke

Post by Paradigm Karaoke »

yeah, unfortunately Bob is like that (the person you talked to there was Bob Latshaw, the owner of the company) there are threads all over the place on KS about his horrible customer service and he has called most of his customers idiots more than once when they need help or even offer an idea if he thinks it is stupid. to me, doesn't matter if he made the best hosting software on the market (he doesn't) i would not give that man a penny of my money.