Adding text to a song ?

Discuss the MP3+G karaoke format.
How to Build a Home Karaoke System
Djaz

Adding text to a song ?

Post by Djaz »

Hello, I am sure the question have been asked before, but dident find it. So here it comes again.
I have a few songs I have removed the singing from. Now I wanna add lyrics so I can use it for karaoke.
I have been looking alot on the web and been trying to work with 2 programs, Media Subtitler and Del MP3 Karaoke.
But I dident find any of them as easy to use as I hoped it would be.
Any other suggestion ?
I have no plan on adding video or pictures. Just a plain background with the lyrices popping up at the right time :-)

mnementh

Post by mnementh »

Hi Djaz,
welcome to the forum.

Sadly, there is no magic method to place lyrics with a music stream.

If there was, everyone would do it, it would be free and Karaoke disc manufacturers would be out of business.

I use a program called Dart Karaoke Studio;

http://www.dartpro.com/products/DARTKarStudioCDGV1.asp

Don't believe the hype, it's a pain in the butt and takes a long time (no pun intended) to get the timing just right.

It's fine if you have the time and inclination to do it but you should look at how much your time costs and weigh that against the cost of simply paying for a download.

Unless you're looking at something that isn't available from a Karaoke disc producer, I'd bet the paid for download will be cheaper and better.

Apart from the above, I'm pretty sure one of the "legal eagles" on the BBs will be along shortly to tell you that what you're doing is illegal, unless YOU own the copyright on the material you have removed the vocals from.

Sandy
Djaz

Post by Djaz »

Thanks for the answer, problem is the song I want are in my own Language and thats not something thats already out there.

Is there a program where you can kind a like drag the text like in moviemaker. instead of having to alter digits in a text ?

And when you say time consuming how long time would you say a song takes ? 1 hour ?
mnementh

Post by mnementh »

Hi again djaz,
have a look at the program link in my last post.

Basically, what you need is an MP3 file, that I presume is what you have, with the vocals removed AND the lyrics.

If you have a source of the lyrics in your own language (there are plenty of "foreign" language Karaoke tracks available by the way), then you need to copy and paste them into a text file using Notepad or similar.

Dart Karaoke Studio will open both your music MP3 AND your text file and it's then a matter of synchronising the two.

Sounds simple but it IS tedious.

Here is the simple process;

http://www.dartpro.com/products/KarStud ... tWorks.asp

Sandy
DanG2006

Post by DanG2006 »

There are easier programs out there than dart karaoke. The easiest being CD+G creator from www.powerkaraoke.com as it has a wizard that will take you through the steps of creating the karaoke file.
wiseguy
Site Admin

Post by wiseguy »

Hands down the easiest to use program for placing lyrics in a CD+G song track is Karaoke Home Producer.
DanG2006

Post by DanG2006 »

I beg to differ Wiseguy as PowerKaraoke has a wizard that will allow you to get the lyrics from online sources as well as utilize mp3 songs as well as wav where you can only use wav with KHP. PK will set the lyrics for you without having to manually manipulate the lyrics and places graphic images in between swipes where KHP requires taking up valuable space that the lyrics take up. you can also do duets with PK. You can't with KHP.
If you're saying KHP is the easiest basic CDG creator then you are right.
mnementh

Post by mnementh »

wiseguy wrote:Hands down the easiest to use program for placing lyrics in a CD+G song track is Karaoke Home Producer.
Have to agree with DanG here.

I've tried a couple of the programs that have you tapping the spacebar as each word comes up.

Fine if it's a pretty slow tune but anything fast and it's a recipe for insanity.

I defy anybody to try this software with something like "Cotton Eye Joe" and not cut their own wrists after 3 or 4 minutes.

Absolute nightmare.

Hands down easiest?

No way!

Sandy
wiseguy
Site Admin

Post by wiseguy »

mnementh wrote: Have to agree with DanG here.

I've tried a couple of the programs that have you tapping the spacebar as each word comes up.

Fine if it's a pretty slow tune but anything fast and it's a recipe for insanity.

I defy anybody to try this software with something like "Cotton Eye Joe" and not cut their own wrists after 3 or 4 minutes.

Absolute nightmare.

Hands down easiest?

No way!

Sandy
So exactly how do you think these songs are created? There is NO software that can read lyrics and automatically synchronize them to the music. They ALL use the spacebar tapping method. And I guarantee you that my 14 year old niece can use KHPro to easily synchronize the lyrics to a song like Cotton Eyed Joe. With a little practice you can get very good at this as she has. I personally used the program to create a parody of Indian Outlaw. Few songs move faster than that one.

I never said that KHPro was the most feature rich of the CD+G authoring programs. I said it is the easiest to use. It has the easiest to understand and use interface by far over any of the others. I stand by my original statement. It is correct!
mnementh

Post by mnementh »

wiseguy wrote:They ALL use the spacebar tapping method.
WRONG.

They might well all have the capability to synchronise word by word but I can assure you that Dart Karaoke Studio will synchronise by line.

You can then, if necessary, use the word by word system to adjust the lyrics.

I didn't at any time say that there was software that would automatically do the job!

Sandy
wiseguy
Site Admin

Post by wiseguy »

All professional looking CDG song tracks are highlighted word by word. So if you synchronize by line you would need to go back and do it over again. Sounds foolish to me.

The bottom line is that my original statement, which was challenged, is absolutely correct.
mnementh

Post by mnementh »

wiseguy wrote:The bottom line is that my original statement, which was challenged, is absolutely correct.
In YOUR opinion; something to which you are entirely entitled.

In MY opinion, to which I am likewise entitled, you are absolutely wrong! 8)

Sandy
CORVETTE

Post by CORVETTE »

Ive used the dart system a few times as i found it the easiest. maybe i didnt give the others a chance but if i remember if you tapped the spacebar on the others at the wrong time you have to do the whole song again. At least with the dart system you can synchronise it word by word. The only real problem with dart that i find is if the lyrics change quickly between screen views you have to have the first line of the next screen already highlighted . on a slow song though this is not a problem.
wiseguy
Site Admin

Post by wiseguy »

CORVETTE wrote:Ive used the dart system a few times as i found it the easiest. maybe i didnt give the others a chance but if i remember if you tapped the spacebar on the others at the wrong time you have to do the whole song again. At least with the dart system you can synchronise it word by word. The only real problem with dart that i find is if the lyrics change quickly between screen views you have to have the first line of the next screen already highlighted . on a slow song though this is not a problem.
KHPro allows you to go back and adjust and fine tune the lyrics as shown in this illustration.
CORVETTE

Post by CORVETTE »

thanks Wiseguy. I may just have to get a copy of that program.