new user cdg (hardrive to mp3+g advice please

Discuss the MP3+G karaoke format.
monkieknuts

new user cdg (hardrive to mp3+g advice please

Post by monkieknuts »

Hi please excuse my ignorance here, im a complete novice at this pc karaoke game. I have a hardrive of filess in .cdg format but would like to convert from .cdg to mp3+g format. PLEASE can someone recommend any software (Preferably free). As i stated im NOT ripping from cd rom as these files are already on the hardrive in .cdg format

Thanks in advance for your help
Kindest regards
Dale

wiseguy
Site Admin

Post by wiseguy »

I have a hardrive of filess in .cdg format but would like to convert from .cdg to mp3+g format.
The .cdg is a commonly used extension. What program created these files?
Unlimited MP3+G Downloads
monkieknuts

Post by monkieknuts »

wiseguy wrote:
I have a hardrive of filess in .cdg format but would like to convert from .cdg to mp3+g format.
The .cdg is a commonly used extension. What program created these files?
Firstly many thanks for your reply. I Apologise if im braking any forum rules by stating that these files were downloaded via a newsgroup, please edit if i have broken any forum rules !
So i cannot throw any further light on this unfortunatley, only eash file is a SINGLE file and ends with .cdg
Sorry i cant be of any more assistance

many thanks
Dale
wiseguy
Site Admin

Post by wiseguy »

Before I can help you I need to know exactly what type of file we're dealing with. Typically, karaoke songs downloaded from newsgroups are zipped mp3+g files. Each mp3+g song consists of one mp3 file and one cdg file. I suppose it's possible that you downloaded some sort of midi based karaoke song files. Can you answer a couple questions?

What is the average file size of the .cdg files?

What player do you use to play them?
monkieknuts

Post by monkieknuts »

Hi again, thanks for your reply.
Just to clarify something, i took a look at the .cdg file in question and managed to get it to play with Karaoke builder player, the graphic plays fine, but no sound so i would have thought that these are incomplete files ? as they are a single file. I have become used to the mp3+g format with a twin file.

Thanks again
Dale

P.s.
Could i ask which newsgroup would be the best for downloading mp3+g ( if i have broken forum rules then i apologise & please delete accordingly !
wiseguy
Site Admin

Post by wiseguy »

It does look like you have incomplete mp3+g files.
DanG2006

Post by DanG2006 »

wiseguy wrote:It does look like you have incomplete mp3+g files.
Or you need microstudio to play them as the .cdg extension is what they use to create their files from cd.
NYPaul3480

converting files

Post by NYPaul3480 »

I use Power Karaoke burner you can convert files already on your computer to a few different f ormats I think the price is 50 bucks not sure about that.
PowerKaraoke.com
NYPaul3480

converting files

Post by NYPaul3480 »

I just checked the software Power Karaoke burner is 39 bucks
PowerKaraoke.com
DanG2006

Post by DanG2006 »

PowerKaraoke is a great piece of software. If you were running Hoster you can convert them to mp3+g zipped in no time.
mnementh

Post by mnementh »

Hi Monkienuts,
most newsgroups that have Karaoke files download in .ZIP format.

When unzipped, you should get 2 files with identical names but different extensions, e.g.

SF001 - Stewart, Rod - Maggie May.MP3
SF001 - Stewart, Rod - Maggie May.CDG

Note that the ONLY difference in the two file names is the extension. The main body of the file names MUST be identical if the video is to display correctly.

I don't know anything about Microstudio but pretty much any other PC based Karaoke system will need BOTH files, either separately or combined as a .ZIP

If you download from a newsgroup that has unzipped files, you MUST download BOTH files, to have any chance of success.

Sandy