USB help please!

Karaoke disc copying software and CD burners.
diggad987

USB help please!

Post by diggad987 »

I have a home karaoke system that has a USB port. I put all my cd's on to a big usb flash drive. All files are mp3+cdg. They work fine. The problem i'm having is that it takes about an hour and a half for the 2400 songs to load. Is there anything i can do to speed it up. I'm new to this so any help would be great. Thanks.

mnementh

Post by mnementh »

Hi there,
welcome to the forum.

If my MP3+G files are anything to go by, your drive must be in excess of 10Gb, yes?

Unfortunately, they ARE very slow to read but I'm surprised it's taking as much as 90 minutes to read in a bit over 2,000 tracks.

Also, I would try fewer songs on a smaller drive and compare loading times.

For example, I tried a 4Gb drive on a colleagues machine and with about 600 tracks on it, the loading time was well under a minute.

If a 100 or so tracks on a smaller drive loads in a minute or less, I would suspect a compatibility issue with the larger drive and your system.

The other thing I would worry about is the actual size of your Falsh drive.

There are an enormous number of faked/hacked Flash drives on the go that "look" perfectly OK untill you try to retrieve data you have loaded onto them.

I bought a 32Gb drive from Ebay and on test it turned out to actually be less than 1/2Gb and wouldn't retain more than that.

They work by fooling the allocation table into thinking that it's much bigger than it really is but all that actually happens is that the "real" data area gets overwritten time after time and at the end, all you have is the last "chunk" of data you loaded on.

I would imagine something like that would also screw up loading times.

Best of luck.

sandy
Unlimited MP3+G Downloads
Bigdog

Post by Bigdog »

How much of that depends on the processor and memory being too small?

A regular fast external hard drive that spins 7200 RPMs...wouldn't that be faster at locating info?
mnementh

Post by mnementh »

Bigdog wrote:How much of that depends on the processor and memory being too small?

A regular fast external hard drive that spins 7200 RPMs...wouldn't that be faster at locating info?
Not really!

In theory, a solid state drive "should" be MUCH faster than a conventional drive with moving parts.

However, in practise with USB drives, very few flash drive perform anywhere near their theoretical maximum.

Buuuut, the processors in machines that have USB connectivity are dedicated for the job and really should do pretty well in reading data.

I reckon the OP should try to find out if a greater number smaller drives will be more efficient to his purpose.

Also, I would highly recommend running a validity test on the drive he has.

Caveat is that testing the drive WILL ERASE all the data on the flash drive, similar to formatting a hard drive.

I used H2TESTW to test USB drives.

Just Google it.

However, it is VERY slow if your falsh drive is BIG. A 10Gb drive will certainly take overnoght to fully test it.

I elected to only check the 1st Gigabyte of my drives. Hacked units are usually pretty small in comparison to the claimed size.

Sandy