How to burn CDG/WAV to bring to karaoke bar with PC system

Karaoke disc copying software and CD burners.
gpierce9

How to burn CDG/WAV to bring to karaoke bar with PC system

Post by gpierce9 »

I am new at using Power Karaoke creator pro. I can make a CDG and wav files which i can play off my notebook, desktop and dedicated true karaoke machine. There are 2 files: cdg and wav.

I then use the Power Karaoke Burner to make a disk to bring to a karaoke bar which uses a PC notebook system. not a dedicated karaoke machine.
My disk shows 1 file for the song CDA extension and the file name is automatically called track01.cda. Both K Bars cannot read the file.

Instead of using the Burner software, should i simply use my Nero software to copy the CDG and WAV files to a CD-R disk to bring to the bars?

If so, what is the Burner software used for? So far, it has not worked for me. And no one knows why. Glen

mnementh

Post by mnementh »

Hi gpierce9,
welcome to the madhouse.

Usually, computers use CDG +MP3 files, rather than CDG+ Wav files and I haven't checked my own software to see if it DOES play CDG+Wav.

However, the obvious problem you're getting is simply down to file names.

You should have two files in order to play Karaoke on a PC (1 if the software plays from ZIP files).

The problem is that the file names, other than the file name extension, MUST be identical, i.e.

SF001-01 - Stewart, Rod - Maggie Mae.MP3
SF001-01 - Stewart, Rod - Maggie Mae.CDG

One file ends .MP3
the other ends .CDG

Other than that, the two file names MUST BE IDENTICAL.

Every upper case letter, dot, comma, space and hyphen MUST BE THE SAME.

I suspect your CDG file has a name other than track01.CDA, so you should rename your .CDA file to the same name as your CDG file.

That should solve your issue.

Also, you say you show ONE file with the CDA extension but do NOT mention your CDG file.

Is it on your CD?

If not, then you can't possibly play Karaoke with your disc.

I'd suggest you convert from .WAV to .MP3 using any of the various free software packages available online, making sure you name the file correctly.

Then burn BOTH files to your CD.

It should be OK, then.

Again, however, not all Karaoke software will play from CD. You might need to transfer the disc contents to the PC's hard drive first.

Sandy.
P.S. please DO let us know how you get on.
How to Build a Home Karaoke System
gpierce9

Post by gpierce9 »

Sandy - nice report. By the way, say hello to my early 1703 relatives from Scotland.

Still more for me to learn to make this work. Plus, I have to travel to karaoke bars and beg the fellows to try out my disk. They basically tell me to get lost. They are at the bar to work and not test for Glen. So i understand. But that leaves me in the dark. So far, my Power Karaoke disks are only good for my home computer and home Karaoke Machine. It appears to me that PK has not tested their product on a PC driven system which the BAR fellows are flocking to. The Bar people are dropping away from a true karaoke machine and buying from some outfits that sell a PC plus 30,000 songs. So the last thing a bar fellow wants is someone like me, bring my disk to them to see if it plays on their PC machine. Looks like a new era of karaoke is going on.

But i will keep trying. The various Power Karaoke softwares are powerful and neat to use. And they get me what i want for my home use. But so far, not for my external use, like going to camp sites having karaoke nights or a nice bar. But the latter was my whole goal. So I am upset about this. I was really starting to enjoy this karaoke thing.

And compounding the issue is that i cannot test my disk that i want to bring to a PC oriented place. There is no guarantee it will work yet.

I am getting ideas from Richard too. I will assemble another test today.

I learned from you that i should go into PK Creator Pro, use an MP3 file, add the lyrics, hit the button to make a BIN file (not a CDG file per Richard).

Then get out. Go to my PK Burner. Add the BIN and then burn to a Verbatim disk. At 1X speed for me.

Then find someone to play the disk on their PC karaoke system.
(I notice that both bars that i tried this so far, try to test via their CD rom drive and do not bother to copy to their harddrive.)

I fear that i will not be able to accomplish my goal of taking my music anywhere i please. glen
mnementh

Post by mnementh »

Hi Glen,
thanks for the follow-up.

As I said in post #2, I believe very few PC based Karaoke systems will work from CD's.

However, there is a simple work around for this.

Get yourself a memory stick and copy your files to that, rather than a CD.

This will DEFINITELY be useable on a PC based system as the computer basically regards the memory stick as a removeable hard drive, will log it as normal and should play your files perfectly happily.

I mentioned in another thread how much of a pain in the rear it used to be to burn "proper" Karaoke CD+G discs and modern software has pretty much done away with the problems.

Get yourself a copy of Power Karaoke Burner. It's pretty cheap and does away with all the hassle.

It will also burn your CD's much faster than x1.

As to disc based Karaoke players, as long as you don't want an all singing, super duper machine, Karaoke players are dirt cheap as long as you know what you're looking for.

Have a look on Ebay for a DVD player with microphone inputs and check the specification for the machine.

ALMOST all DVD players with mike inputs WILL play CD+G!!!

Not all but a large percentage.

Sandy.
DanG2006

Post by DanG2006 »

I know I can't play a cd+g in my computer. My drive is not compatible. won't even work with PK's burner. I use compuhost which does not play off cd as well. But I prefer it that way. I could hook up a video switch and a cd+g player but don't care to carry the extra equipment. I also have a bad memory of when a singer would give me the disc and I would get but I was next because my ticker gives a list of who's up next. I can't just place the singer in the que because the program automatically sets an empty playlist as inactive and my filler plays when a song isn't being played off of the karaoke player.
gpierce9

Post by gpierce9 »

Sandy - Yes, i already have a real karaoke machine about 6 months ago to test on. I use 3 Power Karaoke (PK) products: tools, creator pro, and the burner. and all goes well for making those discs.
I am still uncertain when i am in the PK creator which of the 2 Output types to use. I am presently using CDG. Someone said to use BIN. Both output methods save the file with a CDG extension. So i am confused on this part. But all works in the end.

I have received good tips from Richard Wise of this site. He says there are two methods that i have to do:

Method #1 is for giving a CD to a karaoke bar host: Like you said, I could copy the CDG and MP3 files to a flash drive stick. Or, I can use Nero to burn to a disk. (I was so close, on friday, i went to my car to get the stick with the cdg and wav files files but the fellow ran out of time to test. darn.)

Method #2 is for ONLY my karaoke machine. Richard said, as you, to use PK burner to a CD-R disk. Which it does.

Richard tends to like Wav files and you like Mp3.

As I said, I need to learn in PK Creator Pro, when using the Output Type, do i use CDG or BIN. Someone told me to use BIN.
In either output type case, the file is given a CDG extension. I would like to know more what to do on this angle.

So it looks like we are getting somewhere. There are 2 methods to do. And they are not hard as you know. Yell if you have more thoughts. glen
DanG2006

Post by DanG2006 »

One cdg extension is just the graphics and the other contains both the audio and graphics. Microstudio used the later when they first put out their burner software. Now they use .bin as their extension.
gpierce9

Post by gpierce9 »

Dan - Have you used PK creator pro? When i get to the step where i choose an "Output Type", i have been picking CDG (to use in a software player) and not BIN (to record on a CD).

My needs: 1 - bring a flash drive or a CD-R to a karaoke host who uses a PC and 2 - a CD-R to use on my home true karaoke machine.

Which do you think i should use and why?
Both methods leave a CDG file extension. glen
DanG2006

Post by DanG2006 »

Create the file as a bin and then with PK burner burn the disc for playback on your home machine.

after you do that convert it to MP3+G and then put the product of that on your flash drive for use at the shows. Carry both just in case your show can play discs.
If you have to rename the Bin file version to bin if it isn't already in that extension.

an extension is sc8100-01 - Eagles - Love Will Keep Us Alive.bin
gpierce9

Post by gpierce9 »

Sandy and Dan
Regarding which Output Type to use: Bin or CDG.

PowerKaraoke said me today: Basically it does not matter if you are burning CD+G discs. Power CD+G Burner converts CDG to BIN anyway.

BIN = record to a CD and CDG = to use in a software player.

So I guess, when I do Method #1 to give a flash drive to a PC Karaoke Host, i should use CDG as the output type.

And for my Method #2 personal Karaoke machine CD-R, then pick BIN for the output type in my PowerKaraoke Creator Pro.

Either way, the final file extension is named CDG.

So it sounds like i have to choose two kinds of Output Types and run them twice in order to fulfill my 2 needs.

Do I have this correct? glen
gpierce9

Post by gpierce9 »

So the only open question for me is:
When i am in Power Karaoke creator Pro, and i hit the button to make a CDG file .... do i make my Output Type BIN or CDG ?

That is considering my 2 goals :

1 - using a flash drive to have a PC karaoke host to use.

2 - making a CD-R disk to use on my pure Karaoke Machine.

I need to know so that i can fix all my songs. thanks alot.
glen
gpierce9

Post by gpierce9 »

I think i know now.
1 - if making a disk to bring with me to a karaoke bar, first go to PK creator Pro and make a file with an Output type of CDG. I will use an MP3 song. Richard Wise taught me tonight that the combination MP3 plus CDG is commonly termed MP3+G. i then get out of PowerKaroke. I call up my Nero Burner. Not PK burner. I would make a DATA disk in Nero and ADD the MP3 and CDG files to the disk. Then the PC karaoke fellow can use that disk at the bar.

2 - But when i want to use my HOME karaoke machine, i do something else. when in PK creator Pro, i make a file with an Output of BIN. I use the same MP3 file. (wav would also be acceptable for this one.)
then i call up the PK burner. Not Nero. The resulting disk would display just 1 file name per song with a file extension of CDA.

Correct me if i am wrong about the 2 needs. glen
mnementh

Post by mnementh »

Hi Glen,
personally, I think you're making more work for yourself than you need to.

I certainly wouldn't be making two different file types to basically do the same job.

I'd use Creator Pro to make my CD+G files, convert the audio to an MP3 file using freeware software from the web and that's it. You throw away the Wav file as it's now superflous to requirements.

No Bin file required, either.

Apart from anything else, the MP3 file will be about 1/10th the size of the Wav file.

Copy the files to a pendrive to take to a PC based show and use Power CD+G burner to make your Karaoke CDG discs, directly from the MP3+G files.

Job done.

Sandy.
gpierce9

Post by gpierce9 »

Sandy, thanks to you and Richard Wise, you have taught me what to do. I really appreciate your help and patience understanding this stuff and explaining the terminology.

glen
DanG2006

Post by DanG2006 »

mnementh wrote:Hi Glen,
personally, I think you're making more work for yourself than you need to.

I certainly wouldn't be making two different file types to basically do the same job.

I'd use Creator Pro to make my CD+G files, convert the audio to an MP3 file using freeware software from the web and that's it. You throw away the Wav file as it's now superflous to requirements.

No Bin file required, either.

Apart from anything else, the MP3 file will be about 1/10th the size of the Wav file.

Copy the files to a pendrive to take to a PC based show and use Power CD+G burner to make your Karaoke CDG discs, directly from the MP3+G files.

Job done.

Sandy.
Sandy, unless his player will play mp3+g he needs the bin file to burn onto disc. I have yet to get the PK burner, which will convert the files by the way, to burn from mp3+g format.