CD+G burn with sony

Karaoke disc copying software and CD burners.
How to Build a Home Karaoke System
azsmiley

CD+G burn with sony

Post by azsmiley »

Does anyone know if Sony's DRU-810A burns cd+g disks? I just bought one because I needed a new burner, and I saw in the CDRWin web site, that the 800A works, so I was kind of thinking the 810A might work too. Anyone know?

wiseguy
Site Admin

Post by wiseguy »

I would be very surprised if it was not CDG compatible. Nearly all Sony drives are. It's a shame that Plextor is the only company that mentions the CD+G format in their drive specs even though many makes and models do support this format.

Here's a good one. I contacted HP asking them to send me a list of their drives that support CD+G. They responded with "HP does not produce any drives that read or write the CD+G format". After glancing down at the HP drive that has played and written many CDG discs for me I decided to reply with a barrage of indisputable evidence that in fact many of the HP drives support CD+G. I even listed specific models with links to technical lab reports. No response yet. I've had similar experiences with other drive manufacturers.

The moral of this story is.. if you want to know if a certain drive is CD+G compatible, don't count on getting the correct answer from the manufacturer.
azsmiley

Post by azsmiley »

Ok, get this. I installed it and ran Nero Tools to test to see if it is compatible. Bingo! We have a winner! (So I thought) CDRWin doesn't recognize the drive. There wasn't anything NOT checked on Nero, yet CDRwin says "no can do". Come to think of it, I don't even remember it noticing that it was a burner. I remember it saying something like, "no device present" type of message when I went to recorders. Now I have to check THAT out. Hmmmmmmmmmm.

I wish I was home so I can check it out. Work interferes with life. Isn't it a 4 letter word. My mom always told me never to use 4 letter words. :D
wiseguy
Site Admin

Post by wiseguy »

The sad fact is that some karaoke software creators (CDRwin and MTU for example) state that "you must have a CD+G compatible drive". What they really mean is "you must have a CD+G compatible drive that we programmed our software to recognize". More conscientious software creators like PowerKaraoke and TriceraSoft program their software to read a drive's capabilities and not it's make and model.

And I agree, work takes up way to much of my free time also.
azsmiley

Post by azsmiley »

The sad fact is that some karaoke software creators (CDRwin and MTU for example) state that "you must have a CD+G compatible drive". What they really mean is "you must have a CD+G compatible drive that we programmed our software to recognize". More conscientious software creators like PowerKaraoke and TriceraSoft program their software to read a drive's capabilities and not it's make and model
Teh part about your statement is that the ones that ACTUALLY mean "use a compatible burner" are the ones that are more expensive. With Nero, I can at least make backups, but on the songs I want to do that I create (or try to that is) it into a karaoke song because it's not out there already as one, I'm stuck.

I guess I'll have to try PowerKaraoke and TriceraSoft demos to see which works unless you know of another way to use Nero to do this.

I hope this post helps others out who try to use software that "says" to use any compatible drive, instead of use the one on our list. Key note: Try the demo first!
wiseguy
Site Admin

Post by wiseguy »

I would suggest that try the demo of Power CD+G Burner. This software appears to do it all. The only CD writer requirement is that it supports DAO/96 mode. This is basically the ability to read and write CD Text. Virtually all modern CD writers support this. You can download the demo at http://www.powerkaraoke.com/download/cdgburnersetup.exe .
MollyBaloney

Post by MollyBaloney »

okay..I am ready to scream! My ASUS cd burner worked great until one day it decided to not work so great. Kept telling me to put in a cd even though i'd tried 20 times and it just wouldn't read it. Kept saying there was no disk in the drive. Anyway, I sent that one to the great computer graveyard in the sky and order a plextor burner. Well it just so happened, it would read cdg's but wouldn't write them. Just my luck. So I sent that back and today I bought a Sony CRX320EE which is on the karaoke-tutor as being compatible. And the tech I bought it from was not too savy in the cdg stuff but I bought it and tried it anyway...well..guess what...CDRWin says no supported cdrom was found on this system. If i want to extract tracks from a cdg it will recognize them and do it. But I need to burn the cdg's. Any help will be definately appreciated. If someone could at least tell me a drive that will DEFINATELY write a cdg it would be nice. Thanks so much! :roll:
Smile...it's the first sign of peace.
Sherry
wiseguy
Site Admin

Post by wiseguy »

If someone could at least tell me a drive that will DEFINATELY write a cdg it would be nice.
It's not your burner(s) that is the problem. The Plextor and the Sony are both CDG compatible for both reading and writing. The problem is with the burning software Some of these programs, like CDRwin, are not programmed to recognize ALL CDG capable drives. I can guarantee you that Nero or Padus DiscJuggler will recognize the Sony drive and have no trouble writing a CDG disc.

On my site, where you read about the Sony drive, I post drives that I "know for a fact" are CDG compatible which means that they DO read and write the CDG (subchannel data) format. I cannot guarantee that all karaoke burning software will recognize them. As I mentioned in my prior post, I would suggest trying the demo version of Power CD+G burner. This company makes software that recognizes a drive's capabilities and not it's brand and model. Download the demo at http://www.powerkaraoke.com/download/cdgburnersetup.exe
MollyBaloney

Post by MollyBaloney »

You are right! I use PowerKaraokePlus but didn't have the burner...so i downloaded the burner and yes! it works....Thank you soooooo much!

With the plextor...i tried other software but it just sounded like chicken scratch...i think there is something wrong with it...

Again...bless your heart!

:lol: Thanks,
Sherry
wiseguy
Site Admin

Post by wiseguy »

I'm glad it worked out. There's a good chance that your Plextor just needed a firmware update.
MollyBaloney

Post by MollyBaloney »

I upgraded the firmware...still didn't help....oh well..my sony does now...thanks to you!

:D
Sherry
azsmiley

Post by azsmiley »

Wiseguy,

I downloaded powerkaraoke. I am in the process of creating some songs from my cd collection that I can't seem to find on any karaoke disc. When I get enough of them done to rip to cd, I will fill you in.

In the mean time, is there a CDRwin support site to see if they can update them selves or suggest some burners to check out. Maybe they can putout a patch or something.

I now own 2 dvd burners, and 1 cd burner that Nero says writes cdg format that CDRwin STILL says they don't. My only problem is that I don't know how to use Nero for these type of applications.

I hope powerkaraoke works. I'll let you know.
wiseguy
Site Admin

Post by wiseguy »

You can contact Golden Hawk (the CDRwin creators) but I doubt that they will pay much attention. Their email address is [email protected] . I certainly would not buy a new burner just because some software won't recognize my perfectly compatible one.
azsmiley

Post by azsmiley »

Wiseguy,

I downloaded powerkaraoke. I am in the process of creating some songs from my cd collection that I can't seem to find on any karaoke disc. When I get enough of them done to rip to cd, I will fill you in.

In the mean time, is there a CDRwin support site to see if they can update them selves or suggest some burners to check out. Maybe they can putout a patch or something.

I now own 2 dvd burners, and 1 cd burner that Nero says writes cdg format that CDRwin STILL says they don't. My only problem is that I don't know how to use Nero for these type of applications.

I hope powerkaraoke works. I'll let you know.

Ok,

after a long trial & error session building up at least 4 songs with powerkaraoke, I tried interleaving the files, I deinterleaved the files, burned them with Nero, to no avail. I made shiny new coasters.

What did I do wrong? Can this be fixed? Should I scrap the whole idea? All I have to say is GRRRRRRRR :evil:

I tried a cheap brand of discs, then I tried Maxell disc, yet no luck.

Any ideas?
wiseguy
Site Admin

Post by wiseguy »

after a long trial & error session building up at least 4 songs with powerkaraoke, I tried interleaving the files, I deinterleaved the files, burned them with Nero, to no avail. I made shiny new coasters.
First, have you definitely concluded that the CD writer you are using is CDG compatible. By this I mean you have successfully copied or written a CDG disc. If not, you need to download Power CD+G Burner, rip a track from a CDG, and burn the track to a blank. If this works out then your writer is alright.

Cheap CDR's or expensive ones really doesn't matter. Just make sure that they are DATA type discs and not the ones specially designed for audio recording.

I have not used PowerKaraoke to create a CDG track. What file extension does the saved file (the one that will be written to a disc) have?