Copying Super CDg's

Karaoke disc copying software and CD burners.
bazzabare

Copying Super CDg's

Post by bazzabare »

I want to back up my current Super CDg collection. What kind of burner and software do I need to copy what I have?

bazzabare

Re: Copying Super CDg's

Post by bazzabare »

bazzabare wrote:I want to back up my current Super CDg collection. What kind of burner and software do I need to copy what I have?

I have my collection copied and backed up. :)
How to Build a Home Karaoke System
wiseguy
Site Admin

Post by wiseguy »

I have my collection copied and backed up.

Since nobody responded to your original post, this must not be common knowledge. Would you mind sharing with us the process you used to make the backups?

Thanks
bazzabare

Post by bazzabare »

wiseguy wrote:
I have my collection copied and backed up.

Since nobody responded to your original post, this must not be common knowledge. Would you mind sharing with us the process you used to make the backups?

Thanks
A SCDG disc is normally made with a DVD media, So a DVD writer is required to make a SCDG disc. Most of my discs were less than 4.7 GB but some required a lot more space so a dual layer writer has served all of my copying needs. Sony DVD RW DW-G120A is what I went with. I bought this drive off of Ebay ($35) and it came with a Nero 6 software program that I use to burn my copys (I have found sites with free Nero 6 downloads, also). I burn the discs as a DATA DVD. I open up the SCDG to be copied with a right click on the mouse then EXPLORE. This brings up all files on the disc. These are the files that I needed to work with in preparing for my burn. There is detailed instructions on how to make SCDG's from your CDG discs at

http://www.cavsusa.com/html6/zeroboard/ ... c=asc&no=2

or Google "CAVS HELPFUL INSTRUCTIONS". To copy my SCDG discs, I started with instruction #3 and used the data files that I copied from my original SCDG's. I followed the CAVS instructions and ended up with a file called "CAVS_MCG". This is the file that I entered into my NERO burner program to be burned. It worked like a charm. Panorama's Top Hits Monthly SCDG (444 songs) has lead vocals that needed to be muted for karaoke singing. The copies that I made ended up with 888 songs. The first 444 songs did not have lead vocals. The second 444 songs had lead vocals. Now I don't need to worry about forgetting to cancel the lead vocals when doing gigs and I don't have to worry about loosing 1000's of songs if I ruin a disc. Yay!
wiseguy
Site Admin

Post by wiseguy »

Thank you. I'm sure this information will be helpful to someone.
DanG2006

Re: Copying Super CDg's

Post by DanG2006 »

bazzabare wrote:I want to back up my current Super CDg collection. What kind of burner and software do I need to copy what I have?
YOu need a dvd-rom.
Now as to software, you could go with RoxBox if you wanted to convert over to pc karaoke. RoxBox has the only SCDG convertor on the market. Cavs doesn't even have one.
ogrethemage

Copying SCDG's

Post by ogrethemage »

All you need is a good DVD+/-R/RW and some piece of software to make /build ISO images and a blank piece of media.

The process goes like this (and it worked for SCDG's that were commercial from CAVS):

1. Insert SCDG
2. Open My Computer
3. Open the SCDG via the open command in the contextual menu
4. Press CTRL+A
5. Press CTRL+C
6. Open a new folder on your desktop or on a drive with enough room
7. Press CTRL+V
8. Open the ISO making software of your choice and add the files from the folder created in step 6
9. Create ISO image
10. Open the burning software of your choice and burn the image contents to the appropriate media.
11. Congratulations, you have copied a Super CD+G
letitrip

Post by letitrip »

The SCDG's are nothing more than a data disc. They're a DVD with a bunch of files compressed into a couple of .dat files that you can copy off the disk to your hard-drive. From there you can burn them back to a new disk if needed using Nero or any other burner software. One thing to be careful of though is that some of the commercial SCDG's are dual layer meaning you'll need a DVD-RW drive capable of reading/burning dual layer discs as well as the dual layer disc media itself (really expensive compared to regular DVD-R DVD+R media)
Let It Rip Karaoke
DJ Tony
http://www.letitripkaraoke.com
Zhorell

Re: Copying SCDG's

Post by Zhorell »

ogrethemage wrote:All you need is a good DVD+/-R/RW and some piece of software to make /build ISO images and a blank piece of media.

The process goes like this (and it worked for SCDG's that were commercial from CAVS):

1. Insert SCDG
2. Open My Computer
3. Open the SCDG via the open command in the contextual menu
4. Press CTRL+A
5. Press CTRL+C
6. Open a new folder on your desktop or on a drive with enough room
7. Press CTRL+V
8. Open the ISO making software of your choice and add the files from the folder created in step 6
9. Create ISO image
10. Open the burning software of your choice and burn the image contents to the appropriate media.
11. Congratulations, you have copied a Super CD+G
The SCDG I'm tryin' to back-up is over 6 GB(?) and the DVD-R are only 4.7 GB.. will it compress it? or I need 2 dvd-r?