Charity Shows

Games and other ideas to spice up your karaoke shows.
Unlimited MP3+G Downloads
hhb119fist

Charity Shows

Post by hhb119fist »

So, Charity Work has always been really important to me. So when I get started as a KJ or KJ/DJ, (or whatever bigdog would call me :) jk) I want to incorporate that. With that in mind, what I am seriously considering doing, since I know a lot of KJ's will do a "first show free/cheap" for a bar owner to be able to see if they are a worthwhile investment for him/her, is to make that a "charity show" with my "pay" going to a charity. I figure that gives them the ability to help out the community, and it gives me a chance to prove why they should keep me coming back. What do y'all think?

DanG2006

Post by DanG2006 »

You'll have to be able to make sure that the bar owner does give it to the charity or you'll have the charity breathing down your back looking for it's money.
Bigdog

Post by Bigdog »

What you are suggesting is donating your fee to charity.

A free show means the bar owner doesn't pay. So where is the money coming from? You think the bar owner is going to donate your fee to charity instead of paying you? Then it means he didn't get a free night. So why would he agree to that?

Never happen.

Bar owners aren't running charities.

It's funny you should mention this because I just got screwed doing a free night.

I offered a bar owner a free night just to do them a favor because it was such short notice for them to advertise it. But they had an entire day to put it on their sign. They turned it down. Because they said they wanted to advertise it for a week. I'm thinking WTF???

So I started the next week. I figured they didn't want it and actually my offer expired. Well when it came time to get paid...they said I thought this was a free night, and you were giving us a month of discounts. I'm still thinking WTF???

So by trying to do a favor for them they screwed me. Their idea was to make a lot of money off of me on their advertised free night. They basically used me and took advantage of my offer to do them a favor. WTF???

So I think my free night offer program just ended.
mnementh

Post by mnementh »

Bigdog wrote:It's funny you should mention this because I just got screwed doing a free night.

I offered a bar owner a free night just to do them a favor because it was such short notice for them to advertise it. But they had an entire day to put it on their sign. They turned it down. Because they said they wanted to advertise it for a week. I'm thinking WTF???

So I started the next week. I figured they didn't want it and actually my offer expired. Well when it came time to get paid...they said I thought this was a free night, and you were giving us a month of discounts. I'm still thinking WTF???

So by trying to do a favor for them they screwed me. Their idea was to make a lot of money off of me on their advertised free night. They basically used me and took advantage of my offer to do them a favor. WTF???
Actually, Bigdog, nothing you said in this post would lead me to think there was an immediate time limit on your offer!

If, as you posted, the manager said he wanted to advertise the gig for a week, wasn't the onus on YOU to immediately tell him it was a limited time offer?

Frankly, given the above, you basically screwed yourself. 8)

Sorry, bud,

Sandy
Bigdog

Post by Bigdog »

Precisely... :roll: that's why I won't be doing that anymore. :lol:
hhb119fist

Post by hhb119fist »

sorry Bigdog, I should have been clearer. I'm talking about having a bar owner have a charity event (which bars in my area do all the time, with entertainment they pay for) and instead of paying me for the show, they donate the money they would have paid me to the charity(either way they give the charity money, this just means they don't have to give them money AND pay for entertainment) as a way to drum up business as someone just getting started. I do plan on having charity events afterwards with my pay going to the charity as well, but thats on me, not them (although im sure they will want to advertise it since charity gigs around here double or triple attendence on average)
Bigdog

Post by Bigdog »

This story sounds just like what happens when you have a contest.

During the event the place is packed. When it's over they're gone.

Now yes they made money during the event. But did they gain any new steady customers from it all? Which is the reason for having entertainment in the firts place.

The bar owner and you look like heros but somebody still needs to make money to stay in business.

If customers only show up to support the charity who shows up to support the bar as steady customers?