Gettings folks into the bar...

Games and other ideas to spice up your karaoke shows.
How to Build a Home Karaoke System
Intentional Heartache

Gettings folks into the bar...

Post by Intentional Heartache »

I've been asked to help promote the karaoke from the local bar.
It has a good selection of music and a large dance floor...only...no clientelle...
Any suggestions on how to get people to come for the karaoke?

The bar just up the road has a very large crowd to the point where some folks only get up to sing once a night.

They tried a "Karaoke Idol" contest but that didn't work so well. They had a huge crowd the first few nights but then it fell off drastically, I believe 13 weeks was just way to long to hold a contest. :)

Any ideas and suggestions would be most welcome.

IH

Full House Entertainment

Post by Full House Entertainment »

One of the ways is to get/make a banner that says "Karaoke Tonight" and display it prominately along the street, etc. We have a club that sits far back from the road and it doesn't have a marquis so this banner is placed outside the club when they open.

Susie :)
You do it in the shower,
You do it in the car,
Come do it with us,
And be a star.....

Karaoke with Full House Entertainment
kmonk

Post by kmonk »

You might have to go and promote your show. Which means go out and hit different places that have karaoke and let people know of your show. I did this for my show and now it's a success. :)
wiseguy
Site Admin

Post by wiseguy »

You might have to go and promote your show. Which means go out and hit different places that have karaoke and let people know of your show. I did this for my show and now it's a success.
Anyone who would do this is the same kind of person who would try to steal another KJ's gig by undercutting their price. A bad business practice used by those who cannot compete on their own merits. :evil:
kmonk

Post by kmonk »

I

I went to shows where I knew the K.J. and asked if I could I would not just go in and steal someones show. Plus It helps to know people in your town and in your karaoke venues. So I guess my situation is different. Sorry to up set you .
:shock:
Intentional Heartache

Post by Intentional Heartache »

Thanks for the input guys. I can see how maybe working out some sort of deal with other KJ's around would help since there are different nights that people are hosting karaoke.
wiseguy
Site Admin

Post by wiseguy »

I've been asked to help promote the karaoke from the local bar.
It has a good selection of music and a large dance floor...only...no clientelle...
Any suggestions on how to get people to come for the karaoke?
There may be several reasons that people will not show up for karaoke at the bar. The bar may have priorly acquired a bad reputation. People in the area may not like the bar owner or manager. If either of these are the case then you will have a difficult, or impossible, task in front of you.

It's a fact that most karaoke singers prefer a small venue. If the bar is very large, and it is divided into sections, you might try performing the karaoke in a smaller area. A big dance floor is rarely needed for a karaoke crowd.

A good sounding system and a good selection of updated music is important but not nearly as important as the KJ running the show. The KJ must always be fair with the singer rotation and NEVER play favorites. He/she must be polite, professional, and NEVER hog the mic or take away from the crowds singing time by singing too often.

It is not the KJ's responsibility to advertise for a venue where they will be performing. The responsibility ends with announcing your appearance dates during the show. Of course, a good KJ will develop a following of regulars.

The "Karaoke Tonight" banner ad, suggested by Susie, is an excellent idea. There should also be posters placed at various locations within the bar. If the bar is serious about making the karaoke venture work they will need to spend some money on advertising. Perhaps some radio ads or large newspaper ads.

One last note. Karaoke contests that are not concluded in one night rarely work out unless the final prize is very substantial.
sixx788

Post by sixx788 »

Hmm....The bar my husband and I go to, has a karaoke contest. Every week they have 2 winners. The first place winner, wins a spot in the finals. The second place winner, wins a gift certificate to the bar. The judges are picked by the DJ or the manager of the bar. They have 2 or 3 judges. The judges get $25 of their drink tab paid for. On the 15th week they hold the Finals. So, it's 15 contestants and 7 or 8 top prizes. The first prize this last one was a Carribbean Cruise or $800. 2nd place was Red Wings tickets and dinner for 2. It just goes down from there. If you get decent prizes.....people will come. Friday, Karaoke night, is the ONLY day that this bar gets really busy.. The nice thing is, is that its 85 percent GOOD singers that come. Once the word gets out, look out! Maybe advertise for a few weeks, but after that, you won't have too.

The other thing my bar does is use props. We got wigs, hats, boas, guitars, saxaphones etc for people to ham it up on stage. Sometimes the DJ will put a few items on you whether you want it or not. It makes it fun to watch for the audience. Hey, it works at my bar!!!! Everyone has a blast there!
Horsepower

Post by Horsepower »

Well I have heard it time and time again that it's not our job to advertise....But I do it anyway. I charge a little more for my gigs than the next KJ but I get results!! I have a mailing list of 400 singers, that I email all my show dates to. And the more my name is in the paper the bigger my show gets the more I get paid. Back in the day we were getting $375 for a show and we did all the advertising. Now if I get $200 a show I'm doing good. There are shows around here charging $50 a gig. I wouldn't work that cheep. I print up all my own bar signs and have my own banners. I make all my own newspaper ads to. This way everything looks the same. It's called marketing. By marketing yourself it gives you the upper hand, your singers will come to your shows time and time again no matter where you play or who owns the bar. If the bar owners are not liked then I probably dont like them either and will not play there again. It's my rep on the line. and in this business your rep is all you have.
Full House Entertainment

Horsepower wrote:Well I have heard it time and time again that it's not our job to advertise....But I do it anyway. I charge a little more for my gigs than the next KJ but I get results!! I have a mailing list of 400 singers, that I email all my show dates to.
That's a wonderful email list! It gives me something to strive for!
Horsepower wrote: If the bar owners are not liked then I probably dont like them either and will not play there again. It's my rep on the line. and in this business your rep is all you have.
I completely agree! I feel it also applies to the bartender(s) and waitstaff. We quit once because of a bartender with a foul mouth who was verbally abusive to a patron who was slower than most of us.

You do it in the shower,
You do it in the car,
Come do it with us,
And be a star.....

Superstar

Building your crowd

Post by Superstar »

We have found to start with family & friends....call them, remind them, and get them excited and going to your gigs. Then let the word spread. Treat everyone fairly & make them important for whatever reason they are there.....to sing....dance .... or just enjoy the music. We have a tremendous following because they're all our friends. The more people you get to know the faster your business will grow. We rely on the bar advertising, and us spreading the word. Good luck!
Superstar

Post by Superstar »

You do it in the shower,
You do it in the car,
Come do it with us,
And be a star.....
We LOVE that saying.... Wish we would have thought of it, would go with our business name :lol:
Full House Entertainment

Hiya Superstar,

Family & friends are a good place to start.. Good idea.

We also believe in treating people fairly and you're right, word does get around. We too have lots of friends because of karaoke; it sure makes you look forward to a show doesn't it?

The bars we do seldom advertise but we put our shows on our website and on or in almost anything free! LOL

We love the saying too! I really related to it as I would only sing in the shower or the car when we first started karaoke.... Now I'll sing almost anywhere!

You do it in the shower,
You do it in the car,
Come do it with us,
And be a star.....

letitrip

Totally Agree

Post by letitrip »

Horsepower wrote:Well I have heard it time and time again that it's not our job to advertise....But I do it anyway.
Agreed, to me this is a cooperative relationship. You and the bar need to work together to promote the show. I don't think the KJ should be doing the only promoting of the show but then the KJ shouldn't expect that the bar/club would be the only one.

I'm very fortunate that I have some great friends and family that promote our business all the time. Their support has been invaluable.
Let It Rip Karaoke
DJ Tony
http://www.letitripkaraoke.com
Marlena

Post by Marlena »

WOW I feel a post coming on lol.

okies advertising... it's been a long time...

When i started my Company i went to "the ZOO", ya all know it. it's the one place in town where no one will go, the reputation, fights and ambulance rides were enormous.

It was a brand new manager and he wants the "good" patrons. SO he put on a karaoke contest.

you had to compete either firday or saturday night and the top 5 singers from each night competed on suday morning for cash prizes. 150.00, 100.00, & 50.00.

Each singer sang 2 songs of their choice and i picked one song for them. (something like patsy cline for the guys and elvis for the girls)

As lame as this sounds, the bar had no money to budget advertising. The manager used crate paper and put Karaoke contect firday and saturdays on it, covered it in suran wrap and taped it to the side of the building. on sunday mornings you couldn't get in the bar if you weren't there before noon. it was so busy.

CONSISTENCE!!! is the key. always start on time and always be there. The first time you miss a show, will start to be the downfall of the karaoke in the establishment.

When i start at a new bar I tell them that it's at least a 3 month contract with no dates missing or i don't play.

I use word of mouth, but i've been in the business now for 4 years. Although i have completed my contract at that bar, it gave me my "IN". Now i have over 300 followers and they really do follow me.

I keep a phone list of customers just in case i need to change my venue, and they are more than happy to hear from me.

Just my thoughts

Marlena