Connecting karaoke player, mixer and PA speakers (lengthy)

Your comments, questions, or opinions on any karaoke related hardware.
How to Build a Home Karaoke System
Scott1970

Connecting karaoke player, mixer and PA speakers (lengthy)

Post by Scott1970 »

Hello! I am brand new to this forum. Just a home karaoke guy here, do not do shows..
So I got a new mixer to use with my karaoke player and PA speakers. I have several questions and would appreciate any input and suggestions.

I bought this mixer because I have a family member that works at Walmart and was able to get this for less than $60 http://www.walmart.com/ip/Behringer-XEN ... r/10333984 anyway, my question is: can I run RCA from the audio out on my karaoke player to 1/4 mic input on channel 3 under the XLR input then run from main outs to my PA speakers? I ask this because I want to have more sound shaping ability with the music coming from the player. The stereo inputs only offer FX / Balance (which I'm not sure what that does) and main volume...no control over base treble etc.

Also, I have this player http://www.acekaraoke.com/jbk-m-4000-mi ... GdF71Ecjk8 and these speakers http://www.amazon.com/Karaoke-Pro-Audio ... B002BK1IYY and I currently run 1 RCA to 1/4 from the front L port on my audio out to my left PA speaker and then the front R to my right speaker instead of using the ports marked EXT. The problem with this (without a mixer) is that I get vocals in my left speaker and music in my right. What would be the optimal way to run this (once my mixer arrives) to achieve the best results? Should I use the EXT port or the front L,R on the audio outs?

I'm a total dumba$$ when it comes to audio equipment, as you probably have already determined, so the whole TRS / stereo plug vs mono balance vs unbalanced crap is confusing me. So my question is what cables / plugs do I need for optimal performance with my current system? Basically I have my player sitting 2ft from my mic receiver and one of my speakers (although I am getting speaker stands and will use this system in my screened in porch occasionally) and the other speaker is across the room (currently running a 20ft RCA to 1/4 from player). So with my current setup I am not really getting a true stereo sound...am I? It just seems that the signal is split between two speakers. Do I want stereo or mono for home karaoke?

Lastly, as you can see on my link to my speakers, there is a mid EQ knob on the back..how would I setup the mixer in reference to this? Do I just turn it to the 12 o'clock position and make adjustments at the mixer? One of my biggest concerns is that these speakers have no clipping indicator....what can I do to ensure I don't clip the amp in my speakers? The mixer has a clipping indicator but I'm sure this doesn't let me know if the amp is being clipped...just the electronics in the mixer....please advise!

Thank you in advance!
Scott

Bigdog

Post by Bigdog »

This is the only Beringer mixer I found at Walmart...

http://www.walmart.com/search/search-ng ... se&ic=16_0

you have provided 3 bad links...

Give us the model number..

For the speakers too...

Look in the player manual to see if the show a typical hook up.
mnementh

Post by mnementh »

Bigdog wrote:This is the only Beringer mixer I found at Walmart...

http://www.walmart.com/search/search-ng ... se&ic=16_0
Don'tcha just love it when someone tries to correct someone else and screws it up themselves. :oops:

Yes bigdog, it's you 8)

Behringer has an "h" in it big boy!!

The link you've given gets you to Beringer (note, no "h") wines.

Dammit, where's the huuuge raspberry smilie when you want one.

Onyhoo, I had a quick look at the sites the OP mentioned and found these;

Xenyx mixers at Walmart

http://www.walmart.com/search/search-ng ... raint=3944

Player at Acekaraoke.

http://www.acekaraoke.com/jbk-m-5000-mi ... G6e0K7ozJY

Couldn't find anything at Amazon for speakers as I got hundreds of hits, no matter how specific I was in the search engine.

The specific player mentioned ISN'T on the Acekaraoke website at all and I could only get the 5000 model, not the 4000 the OP listed.

As for the Xenyx mixer, I use a Behringer (with an "h") mixer amp and the instructions are VERY comprehensive on how to hook it up, so I can't believe the one for the mixer will be any different.
If the OP cames back with more detail and as bigdog says, more accurate links, we might be able to assist.

Sandy.
Bigdog

Post by Bigdog »

Hey...it's not my fault Beringer can't spell their name correctly... :oops:

I was wondering if you had to take the cap off & drink the contents to plug it in... :shock: :roll:

I'm the world's greatest KJ ...not speller.. :D
Scott1970

Post by Scott1970 »

Hey guys, thanks for the prompt responses! Sorry about the piss poor links :oops: The mixer is the Behringer Xenyx 1202FX, The player is the JBK 4000N I referenced ace karaoke because they do have good pics of the back of the unit. The speakers are the Podium Pro Audio PP802's and amazon.com has good pics of them.

Sorry again for the links, i look forward to any guidance that you can provide.
mr.dj

Re: Connecting karaoke player, mixer and PA speakers (length

Post by mr.dj »

Scott1970 wrote: my question is: can I run RCA from the audio out on my karaoke player to 1/4 mic input on channel 3 under the XLR input then run from main outs to my PA speakers? I ask this because I want to have more sound shaping ability with the music coming from the player. The stereo inputs only offer FX / Balance (which I'm not sure what that does) and main volume...no control over base treble etc.
I'll start by saying I'm not an expert on sound setup but from looking at the mixer you can connect the RCA of your Player to the 1/4" mike input as that can also be used for a line input, the only thing is that is a mono input so to run from the audio out of the player I would think it best to use a y piece connector 2 RCA into 1 coming from the player so you would get the full signal from both channels going to the single input of the mixer, other than that you would either connect it to the RCA in on the mixer or the stereo input jacks but as you say these don't appear to have an equalizer adjustment. If you did use the mono input and run the line out to your speakers it would of course be a mono signal, I personally don't think it matters having a mono signal for karaoke.
Scott1970 wrote: Also, I have this player http://www.acekaraoke.com/jbk-m-4000-mi ... GdF71Ecjk8 and these speakers http://www.amazon.com/Karaoke-Pro-Audio ... B002BK1IYY and I currently run 1 RCA to 1/4 from the front L port on my audio out to my left PA speaker and then the front R to my right speaker instead of using the ports marked EXT. The problem with this (without a mixer) is that I get vocals in my left speaker and music in my right. What would be the optimal way to run this (once my mixer arrives) to achieve the best results? Should I use the EXT port or the front L,R on the audio outs?

I'm a total dumba$$ when it comes to audio equipment, as you probably have already determined, so the whole TRS / stereo plug vs mono balance vs unbalanced crap is confusing me. So my question is what cables / plugs do I need for optimal performance with my current system? Basically I have my player sitting 2ft from my mic receiver and one of my speakers (although I am getting speaker stands and will use this system in my screened in porch occasionally) and the other speaker is across the room (currently running a 20ft RCA to 1/4 from player). So with my current setup I am not really getting a true stereo sound...am I? It just seems that the signal is split between two speakers. Do I want stereo or mono for home karaoke?
The literature on the player is not very clear but from what I can make out the left and right out puts are part of the surround sound connections that you do not need for karaoke, I would assume the ext out is an external stereo out and that is what I would try.
Scott1970 wrote: Lastly, as you can see on my link to my speakers, there is a mid EQ knob on the back..how would I setup the mixer in reference to this? Do I just turn it to the 12 o'clock position and make adjustments at the mixer? One of my biggest concerns is that these speakers have no clipping indicator....what can I do to ensure I don't clip the amp in my speakers? The mixer has a clipping indicator but I'm sure this doesn't let me know if the amp is being clipped...just the electronics in the mixer....please advise!

Thank you in advance!
Scott
If your using your mixer for the equalizer settings then it's my opinion that you would be best to set the speaker equalizer to the 12.O'Clock setting as this is the normal flat setting then after tuning the mixer to what you think is best you can tweak the speaker equalizer last. Regarding the clipping light on the speaker I'm not sure but if you set the mixer correct to not clip the signal I would say don't set the speakers to more than 3/4 max in case you accidental knock the gain up on the mixer which could then overload the speaker.
Regards to leads to use it seems the outputs from the mixer are unbalanced so you would only need unbalanced jack to jack to connect to your speakers. Also if you use the y piece I mentioned that would also be unbalanced so a lead with RCA to jack to complete that connection. Balanced leads normally better for stopping interference but if the connections are unbalanced I don't think it matters.

I'll wait now for an avalanche of whats wrong with my reply. :lol:
Scott1970

Post by Scott1970 »

Mr. DJ,

Thanks for the thorough reply! I really appreciate it. I'm not sure I understand the benefit of the Y adapter going into the line input on the mic channel. I was planning to just use a dual RCA - single 1/4 plug. Would there be a difference in sound using the RCA Y adapter?

I'm assuming I could just use 2 individual 1/4 mono cords to go from one of the main out jacks on the mixer to one of my speakers then the same with the other main out to the other speaker. I have 2 XLR - 1/4 mic cables, could I just put an XLR to 1/4 adapter on the end of them and run those from my main outs to my speakers or do I need a specific speaker cable? My runs are less than 20ft to each speaker.

So as long as I'm not clipping on my mixer, the speakers should be fine? I never put my speakers main volume past the 2 oclock position as they are very loud. I was more worried about the bass (subwoofer) on my speaker clipping as it is only 8 inches.

Thanks again!
mr.dj

Post by mr.dj »

Scott1970 wrote:Mr. DJ,

Thanks for the thorough reply! I really appreciate it. I'm not sure I understand the benefit of the Y adapter going into the line input on the mic channel. I was planning to just use a dual RCA - single 1/4 plug. Would there be a difference in sound using the RCA Y adapter?!
No difference if you mean something like this example: http://www.kenable.co.uk/product_info.p ... ts_id=4519
Scott1970 wrote: I'm assuming I could just use 2 individual 1/4 mono cords to go from one of the main out jacks on the mixer to one of my speakers then the same with the other main out to the other speaker. I have 2 XLR - 1/4 mic cables, could I just put an XLR to 1/4 adapter on the end of them and run those from my main outs to my speakers or do I need a specific speaker cable? My runs are less than 20ft to each speaker.!
Yes,I can see nothing wrong in using the the adapters but if you need to purchase them then it would not be much more expensive to buy the jack to jack leads.
Scott1970 wrote:So as long as I'm not clipping on my mixer, the speakers should be fine? I never put my speakers main volume past the 2 O'Clock position as they are very loud. I was more worried about the bass (subwoofer) on my speaker clipping as it is only 8 inches.

Thanks again!
As long as you don't push the mixer up accidentally, I think they should be fine at 2.O'clock setting. :)