Lawsuit Question

Discuss any legal issues pertaining to karaoke.
How to Build a Home Karaoke System
Bigdog

Post by Bigdog »

Who's verifying the verifiers... :roll:

Bigdog

Post by Bigdog »

Latest literature from a SC disc I just bought...

WARNING:

If you are a professional karaoke host or a venue which owns a karaoke system, copying (media shifting) this disc or any Sound Choice song to a hard drive used in Commercial Business without WRITTEN ACKNOWLEDGEMENT or making multiple copies from a single disc or file constitutes willful infringement. Federal law allows for statutory damages of up to $150,000 per song for willful copyright infringement and $2,000,000 (that's 2 million) per mark for willful Trademark infringement.

So it's $2,150,000 per song..

BECOME A SOUND CHOICE CERTIFIED HOST.

Call 1-800-788-4487 to speak to a Customer Service Representative about being compliant by becoming a Sound Choice Certified Host, or visit...blahh blahh blahh..

on the backside of this paper...

Sound Choice Certified Host Program

Differentiate yourself from the pirates

Avoid lawsuits - Peace of Mind

Education/Sales literature

Vinal Banner for your Show

Promotion on our website

Valuable Marketing tool

Safe-Harbor Literature

T-Shirt

Call...blah blah blah blah..

OK it just says to aquire written (permission) acknowledgement....They have renigged on their permission that they supposedly gave everyone a few years ago...could be a legal leg to stand on...in my opinion...telling everyone it's OK to format shift and then saying it's not...

I still don't see how using a disc is trademark infringement.

I'm not pretending I'm Sound Choice. I'm not trying to steal the Sound Choice name...

I'm not claiming I made the karaoke song. Sound Choice is getting the proper credit. I haven't altered the track or deleted their name from the track.

If anything...they should be paying us to use their products and to promote them..at our shows...it's called advertisement..Only the best KJs us SC at their shows....

they don't appreciate us or value us or respect us... :roll: :cry:

just want to screw us.....as a way of saying thanks for buying our products..
The Lone Ranger

Post by The Lone Ranger »

8) Now you know how the Indians felt after every treaty ever made with them was broken. Even after they were shipped off to Oklahoma and given worthless land with black pools instead of springs of fresh water, that was supposed to be theirs forever. Forever until it was discovered the black pools were oil that is. Same principle if there is money to be made someone is going to figure a way to get it.
wiseguy
Site Admin

Post by wiseguy »

Bigdog, you're echoing what I've been saying since this all began. Law suits are suppose to seek retribution and/or compensation for damages. I can not imagine what damages SC incurs buy the displaying of their logo in a public venue. Like you said... that is free advertisement. But some judge... for whatever reason... found for SC in this case.

But we know that the trademark suits are just a legal ploy they have stooped to because of the difficulty they would have winning suits on format shifting.

They are using US to help remedy THEIR problem at OUR expense.
DanG2006

Post by DanG2006 »

Bigdog wrote:Latest literature from a SC disc I just bought...

WARNING:

If you are a professional karaoke host or a venue which owns a karaoke system, copying (media shifting) this disc or any Sound Choice song to a hard drive used in Commercial Business without WRITTEN ACKNOWLEDGEMENT or making multiple copies from a single disc or file constitutes willful infringement. Federal law allows for statutory damages of up to $150,000 per song for willful copyright infringement and $2,000,000 (that's 2 million) per mark for willful Trademark infringement.

So it's $2,150,000 per song..

BECOME A SOUND CHOICE CERTIFIED HOST.

Call 1-800-788-4487 to speak to a Customer Service Representative about being compliant by becoming a Sound Choice Certified Host, or visit...blahh blahh blahh..

on the backside of this paper...

Sound Choice Certified Host Program

Differentiate yourself from the pirates

Avoid lawsuits - Peace of Mind

Education/Sales literature

Vinal Banner for your Show

Promotion on our website

Valuable Marketing tool

Safe-Harbor Literature

T-Shirt

Call...blah blah blah blah..

OK it just says to aquire written (permission) acknowledgement....They have renigged on their permission that they supposedly gave everyone a few years ago...could be a legal leg to stand on...in my opinion...telling everyone it's OK to format shift and then saying it's not...

I still don't see how using a disc is trademark infringement.

I'm not pretending I'm Sound Choice. I'm not trying to steal the Sound Choice name...

I'm not claiming I made the karaoke song. Sound Choice is getting the proper credit. I haven't altered the track or deleted their name from the track.

If anything...they should be paying us to use their products and to promote them..at our shows...it's called advertisement..Only the best KJs us SC at their shows....

they don't appreciate us or value us or respect us... :roll: :cry:

just want to screw us.....as a way of saying thanks for buying our products..
No they want to make sure that you have the discs before giving the permission. It's part of their answer to piracy of their product.
DanG2006

Post by DanG2006 »

There are over 100 artist on a no fly list for karaoke. That list means no legal karaoke tracks from those artists from here on.
wiseguy
Site Admin

Post by wiseguy »

DanG2006 wrote:There are over 100 artist on a no fly list for karaoke. That list means no legal karaoke tracks from those artists from here on.
I don't see how the artists would enforce this. They can't stop bands from doing covers of their songs so how can they stop the singing of karaoke versions? If they can then it's time to just put an end to commercial karaoke. Let's make it an in home entertainment only.
DanG2006

Post by DanG2006 »

They can't stop what the hosts already have but no new stuff from these artists and no overseas downloads allowed as well. No more Zoom. The only download sources that US based hosts will have are All Star Karaoke customs and the Karaoke Cloud. Tricerasoft will be illegal to download from as well. They are closing the borders on karaoke.
DanG2006

Post by DanG2006 »

They can't stop what the hosts already have but no new stuff from these artists and no overseas downloads allowed as well. No more Zoom. The only legal download sources that US based hosts will have are All Star Karaoke customs and the Karaoke Cloud. Tricerasoft will be illegal to download from as well. They are closing the borders on karaoke.
wiseguy
Site Admin

Post by wiseguy »

How will they ever stop Americans from buying downloads from overseas? That is virtually impossible.
DanG2006

Post by DanG2006 »

Force the overseas to block US ip's. They are already doing it.
wiseguy
Site Admin

Post by wiseguy »

It is very simple to mask your IP address through a proxy server. I can get an IP address of any country I want.
Bigdog

Post by Bigdog »

The karaoke music manufacturers are going to KILL karaoke in this country...Who will they sell their crap to then?

I'm done...I'm not buying anymore karaoke songs from anyone

Can we say boycott?

Sound Choice sounds more like the Sound Mafia....if you don't comply we'll break your legs...
The Lone Ranger

8) Hey, I'll make them an offer they can't refuse.
The Lone Ranger

[quote="DanG2006"]They can't stop what the hosts already have but no new stuff from these artists and no overseas downloads allowed as well. No more Zoom. The only legal download sources that US based hosts will have are All Star Karaoke customs and the Karaoke Cloud. Tricerasoft will be illegal to download from as well. They are closing the borders on karaoke.[/quote]

8) What are you talking about Dannie? Wasn't one of the points of the summit that even if you have product in your library that you have paid for the goal is to make that product unusable for commercial karaoke? Didn't SC and CB/PR/WWD/DTE say if they couldn't bring you to court, they would turn lists over to the publishers, in order to go after even orphan/abandon ware materials? That you would have to lease either the GEM series, or subscribe to Cloud or both to be able to run karaoke on a computer and avoid legal problems. They are selling insurance protection whatever you want to call it. Closing the border to overseas downloads is just another way of blockading the U.S. from foreign competition. These guys are so full of themselves they are even trying to effect foreign trade. They may just go to far and over reach themselves, you can't go stepping on too many toes, there are other power full business interests just not theirs.