Impressions Of The Summit

Anything that doesn't fit in another category.
Unlimited MP3+G Downloads
Bigdog

Post by Bigdog »

wiseguy wrote:
DanG2006 wrote:All we own is the plastic that the music came on. Anything else is the licensed property of the manufacturers and publishers.
We bought the right to use that music that came in the plastic.
Not true....

I have many discs that have written right on them...NOT FOR PUBLIC PERFORMANCE...That means commercially..which we are....

Danny thinks because he owns the songs before the rule change....he's OK...Not so....An unlicensed song in his possession is still unlicensed...but he bought it twice ....we all got suckered ......

Sound Choice can't just change the rules anytime they want....they have set presidence by saying we could do a format shift and then saying we couldn't....

This all goes back to them....never paying for the rights to do a format shift....They need to re buy (or buy for the first time) the rights to offer downloads...DID THEY EVER PAY TWICE FOR THE SONGS...once for disc and once for downloads...

They never had the right legally to tell us it was OK to do a format shift because they never paid to give us the right to do so.....

Could that be called deception? Or conspiracy....or piracy...they pirated the download rights illegally

DanG2006

Post by DanG2006 »

wiseguy wrote:
DanG2006 wrote:All we own is the plastic that the music came on. Anything else is the licensed property of the manufacturers and publishers.
Which did not include the right to copy the CD+G to hard drive. Only the karaoke manufatcurers can give that right away which is what most karaoke manufacturers have done with the exception of SC and Digitrax.
DanG2006

Post by DanG2006 »

Bigdog wrote:
wiseguy wrote:
Not true....

I have many discs that have written right on them...NOT FOR PUBLIC PERFORMANCE...That means commercially..which we are....

Danny thinks because he owns the songs before the rule change....he's OK...Not so....An unlicensed song in his possession is still unlicensed...but he bought it twice ....we all got suckered ......

Sound Choice can't just change the rules anytime they want....they have set presidence by saying we could do a format shift and then saying we couldn't....

This all goes back to them....never paying for the rights to do a format shift....They need to re buy (or buy for the first time) the rights to offer downloads...DID THEY EVER PAY TWICE FOR THE SONGS...once for disc and once for downloads...

They never had the right legally to tell us it was OK to do a format shift because they never paid to give us the right to do so.....

Could that be called deception? Or conspiracy....or piracy...they pirated the download rights illegally
Any song, ZOOM, SUnfly, SBI that were bought before the rule change has been licensed in the USA. After 2011 is when they became unlicensed. All my Zoom, SUnfly etc. were bought before they excluded the good old USA from worldwide coverage of PRS.
The Lone Ranger

Post by The Lone Ranger »

8) Yeah hurray for the USA and Canada the only two nations on the planet that have copyright laws that are not in sink with the rest of the world Danny. Oh by the way did you see about our old friend James seems that maybe he might have done a bozo no no in that Nevada mass filing lawsuit.

http://soundchoicelasvegaslawsuit.com/i...in-nevada/

Look under the post is Harrington practicing law without a license in Nevada?

Then hosts wonder why I have little or no faith in this legal process, in Nevada and California the vast number of defendants simply walked away and never paid one dime. What a waste of time, money and all the drama tied up with it.
DanG2006

Post by DanG2006 »

Yeah but it is easier for him to get a license than the other Bozo who sponsers that blog.
The Lone Ranger

Post by The Lone Ranger »

8) The point is Danny at the time he was representing SC in Nevada he wasn't licensed to do so. Up until recently the sponser of the blog was. That doesn't inspire confidence in this legal process if their point man James is ignorant of the fact that he needs a license to practice law in that state issued by that state. Unless it wasn't ignorance but rather arrogance that made him feel it could flaunt the rules.
Bigdog

Post by Bigdog »

http://arstechnica.com/tech-policy/2009 ... -never-ok/

http://www.smartcopying.edu.au/scw/go/pid/529

This contains one of my favorite lines..

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Format-shifting

Copyright law may not allow libraries and archives to format shift for preservation and archiving purposes.

And of coarse the lips of the horse...

http://www.unimelb.edu.au/copyright/inf ... aluse.html

Space Shifting of Music Recordings

The term 'space shifting' means to convert a format such as a CD, DVD or audio cassette into an electronic format that can be transferred to a computer or portable media player such as an iPod. It is a similar concept to format shifting. The Copyright Act allows legal (non-pirated) music recordings to be space shifted for personal use. This means that it is legal to copy a CD that you own onto your own iPod on MP3 player or create a compilation CD from CDs that you own to listen to in the car, for example. However, certain other limits apply:
•This exception is limited to personal use only. If you wish to create compilation CDs or reproduce music recordings for educational purposes, then there are limited provisions under the Music Licence. For more information consult The Music Licence in Brief.
•You must own an original/non-pirate copy of the item being reproduced. It is not permitted to make a copy of an infringing item.
•You must own the device, e.g. iPod or hard drive, that the work is being copied onto. It would not be permitted to copy material onto your friend's iPod or onto the hard drive of your PC at work.
•You must also keep the original work. It is not permitted to make a reproduction and then dispose of the original. If the original copy is sold, traded or given away, then the reproduction must be destroyed.
•The reproduction cannot be made available on the internet.
•The reproduction cannot be played or performed in public or broadcast.
•The reproduction cannot be sold, hired, traded or given away.
•It is not permitted to circumvent a Technological Protection Measure (TPM) in order to make a copy of the item.

Oh no...I think this is a copyright violation..too... :shock: :lol:
Bigdog

Post by Bigdog »

One should read this and look at the 4 factors...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fair_use

Can Sound Choice prove my format shift of $50,000 worth of music I paid for has hurt there business?

Here is the issue...as I see it.

I format shifted my music library long before any company had karaoke music available to the public in the MP3 format so I could download it....

My only option was buy the disc....

If when I started 21 years ago...MP3s were not available to download....I would have bought them and would have only had to buy them once....I would not have had a need to do a format shift in the first place....and I wouldn't own one single karaoke disc...

I bought the disc once and format shifted it ....once.

When I bought the discs I copied them so I could preserve the original....and I played the copies....that didn't hurt them did it?

After I ruined many original discs...trying to replace them became impossible because they stopped making many of them...So I couldn't buy it for any amount of money...

If Sound Choice stopped offering discs....they would only have to pay for the songs one time...because they would only be using one format...MP3...
DanG2006

Post by DanG2006 »

It hurts their business in that if the hard drive fails, you just have to rerip the songs off of disc. No new sales of discs for the manufacturer went down. You make a point but there is the piracy of downloads that are too frequent for SC to adopt such a model.
DanG2006

Post by DanG2006 »

Bigdog wrote:http://arstechnica.com/tech-policy/2009 ... -never-ok/

Copyright law may not allow libraries and archives to format shift for preservation and archiving purposes.

The term 'space shifting' means to convert a format such as a CD, DVD or audio cassette into an electronic format that can be transferred to a computer or portable media player such as an iPod. It is a similar concept to format shifting. The Copyright Act allows legal (non-pirated) music recordings to be space shifted for personal use. This means that it is legal to copy a CD that you own onto your own iPod on MP3 player or create a compilation CD from CDs that you own to listen to in the car, for example. However, certain other limits apply:
•This exception is limited to personal use only. If you wish to create compilation CDs or reproduce music recordings for educational purposes, then there are limited provisions under the Music Licence. For more information consult The Music Licence in Brief.
•You must own an original/non-pirate copy of the item being reproduced. It is not permitted to make a copy of an infringing item.
•You must own the device, e.g. iPod or hard drive, that the work is being copied onto. It would not be permitted to copy material onto your friend's iPod or onto the hard drive of your PC at work.
•You must also keep the original work. It is not permitted to make a reproduction and then dispose of the original. If the original copy is sold, traded or given away, then the reproduction must be destroyed.
•It is not permitted to circumvent a Technological Protection Measure (TPM) in order to make a copy of the item.

The problem is that Karaoke is a visual art and not a musical recording.
mnementh

Post by mnementh »

DanG2006 wrote:
Bigdog wrote: The problem is that Karaoke is a visual art and not a musical recording.
Seriously?

You think blind people don't sing Karaoke?

Sandy.
Bigdog

Post by Bigdog »

DanG2006 wrote:
Bigdog wrote:http://arstechnica.com/tech-policy/2009 ... -never-ok/

The problem is that Karaoke is a visual art and not a musical recording.
Mona Lisa is art.....it will never be considered music...

Karaoke is music and will never be hanging in the Louvre..in Paris..
mnementh

Post by mnementh »

Bigdog,
many apologies!

I removed the wrong quotes when I replied to Dang.

I do NOT in any way imply that you made the comment I highlighted above.

Sandy.
Bigdog

Post by Bigdog »

mnementh wrote:Bigdog,
many apologies!

I removed the wrong quotes when I replied to Dang.

I do NOT in any way imply that you made the comment I highlighted above.

Sandy.
OK...I cancelled my flight to Dundee... :lol: