karaoke machine that is compatible w/ 150W Onkyo system?

Your comments, questions, or opinions on any karaoke related hardware.
How to Build a Home Karaoke System
LT_newbie

karaoke machine that is compatible w/ 150W Onkyo system?

Post by LT_newbie »

Hi all,

i'm new, and desperately needs information. Here is my situation.
I have an Onkyo home theater system at home.

AV receiver - HTR410
speakers - 150W powered subwoofer, front speaker, center speaker, and surround speaker (SKS-HT150).

Can I add a karaoke machine to this system and be able to have karaoke at home? I don't need a pro system. I just want karaoke, but dont' want to blow up my speakers. I heard my friend told me that I couldn't use this Onkyo system to set up as karaoke (even if i buy a karaoke machine to hook up to it) because the wattage is too low. IS this true? please tell me it is wrong :)

If i can use this home theater speaker system, what average karaoke machine can I buy that is around$200 or so?

if i can't use this home theater system at all, what do i need to create a new cheap system ? sorry, i'm just a student, and i don't have that much money.

thanks very much

wiseguy
Site Admin

Post by wiseguy »

Hi LT_newbie and welcome to the forum!

Your 150 watt system should be sufficient for performing karaoke at home in your living room or family room. You cannot however use the satellite speakers as you will surely destroy them. You need PA type speakers to handle the vocals of karaoke.

A cheap, but very nice, player is the RJ Tech RJ-1500DVX. It's a multi-format player that will play CDG discs and can also double as a DVD player. It sells for around $150.00. The least expensive PA speakers that I know of are the RSQ SR-350's that sell for about $250.00 for the pair. These speakers are designed for karaoke.

I hope this helps you out. Feel free to ask any questions here.
Unlimited MP3+G Downloads
LT_newbie

Post by LT_newbie »

Hi wiseguy

thanks very much. So I guess the bad new is that the Onkyo SKS-HT150 system that I have is satellite speakers, and i can't use them.

So if I buy the PA speakers that you recommended along with a karaoke machine, I could stil use the AV receiver that i have right?

thanks very mcuh
wiseguy
Site Admin

Post by wiseguy »

So if I buy the PA speakers that you recommended along with a karaoke machine, I could stil use the AV receiver that i have right?
I can't see any reason why not. You would connect the karaoke player the same as you would a DVD player. The mics plug into the player. Just remember to disconnect the satellite speakers before performing karaoke.