Bass ect

Your comments, questions, or opinions on any karaoke related hardware.
How to Build a Home Karaoke System
bamarama

Bass ect

Post by bamarama »

Hey gang. I am asking a question that i should know the answer to, and did know the answer years ago, but I just do not remember.

What setup would I need in order to separate the bass from the rest of the audio (music) feed.

I have a bass cab that resembles an old SP-1 bottom part except it is two stacked. There are no horns on these cabs. I want to only sent the bass, deep, frequencies to this part but the mids and highs to my other speakers. This is not as necessary for the karaoke I am doing as it is for the DJing.

What is the secret in doing this?

I hate to even ask but I need to know and for the life of me I cannot remember.

mnementh

Post by mnementh »

HI again,
the word you are looking for is "crossover", a simple little circuit to act as a low pass filter in your case.

Most multi driver speakers will have one built in but a bass cabinet with one or more "BIG" speaker might not.

Just Google for "Loudspeaker low pass filter", or "Loudspeaker crossover circuit" and that should get you enough information to make one.

In simplest terms, you'll need an inductor and a capacitor, wired correctly to pass only the low end of the audio spectrum.

Hope this helps,
Sandy.
bamarama

Post by bamarama »

I have a few cab options. I can use some Peavey SP2i cabs, and I can also use a 4/12 Peavey stack. From what you are saying, the Sp2i would have the crossover, probably, but the 4/12 cab would not since there is only a single type of speaker. Does this sound correct?

If I have a designated bass box, it also should have this built in?

What I am asking is if I run a single amp to a sub or the sp2, I should not have to worry about the bass. I can then run another amp to the horns and all should be well??

It is late so I may be just confusing myself.
mnementh

Post by mnementh »

Hi again,
as I build my own speakers/cabinets, I really don't have much info on commercial units, so I'm hoping more knowledgeable users will come along to give you better advice.

As far as subs are concerned, usually the design takes care of the frequency response (certainly does when I design them) but again, I have no genuine knowledge about commercial designs.

Sadly, the way I look at it is that commercial builders only have the bottom line as a goal and in these times of recession, they'll penny pinch at every opportunity, so any frequency "tailoring" electronics might be left out.

Even top brand names are being built in China these days, so unless you buy something that specifically says "Made in the USA", I'd bet my own money it'll be built in the far East.

Sandy.

Sandy.