The Slow Death Of CD's Has started?

Anything that doesn't fit in another category.
How to Build a Home Karaoke System
The Lone Ranger

The Slow Death Of CD's Has started?

Post by The Lone Ranger »

8) It would seem from recent data that last year for the first time CD sales have fallen behind download sales, though slightly. Does this signal the demise of original CD media material? The original purpose of CD's at least for karaoke has changed. The original purpose was to play on karaoke players. Now the main function of owning CD's is to prove that your library is legal. Even that is not quite true since even if the you can prove ownership of original media, that only protects you from suits by the manufacturer's of that material. It does not stop the copyright holders from suing you as well, if they decide to go after hosts and the venues who hire them.

check out: http://www.billboard.combiz/articles/ne ... nd-mobile/...

It works when I use my search but the above code doesn't work on the site. Oh well a whiz with the computer I'm not, maybe that was a good thing after all, as far as hosting went.

Bigdog

Re: The Slow Death Of CD's Has started?

Post by Bigdog »

It's pretty sad that ownership doesn't actually mean ownership anymore. I still say if that is the case...we were all decieved when we made our original purchase. In my mind that constitutes fraud (deceptive business practices) on the part of the manufacturers. Promises were made or implied which they never really had. A final sale never meant it could be revoked or we would have to make additional payments forever.
Could we file a class action suit against these companies?
The Lone Ranger

8) I doubt you could file against the manus, most of them don't care how their material is being used currently since many have gone out of business anyway. Only two companies SC aka PEP and CB aka DTE have ever made any attempt to recoup theft loses via the court system, with varying degrees of success. So for the most part much of the industry really doesn't care about their product anymore, or at least they are not going to harass the lone host about it's use. The two companies that seem to be upset about the current state of things claim that they have a right to say how their product is to be used. They never made that clear at the time of sale, it really wasn't an issue, until they could no longer make the huge profits they once enjoyed. :wink: :wink: :wink:
Bigdog

Post by Bigdog »

When CDs first came out they were the best thing since sliced bread....advertised to last 50 years. So much for the hype. They forgot about technology..... It keeps moving forward. How soon before a smart phone will hold a terabyte?
The Lone Ranger

8) Even bread has a shelf life, no pun intended. Bigdog this is just a taste of future shock, people like me and you just have to get with the times. Either you lead the parade, you are in the parade, or you are watching the parade. Unless of course you are snug at home watching the parade on T.V.
DanG2006

Post by DanG2006 »

Have to agree with Lone Ranger on his last post. Either you move with the times or get left behind.
Bigdog

Post by Bigdog »

So...all the music (not just karaoke music) on all your devices now and in the future, you won't own....and you'll be happy renting them? Next will be tv shows and movies, radio programs, books and all other intellectual materials... Rent to not own....
The Lone Ranger

Don't get me wrong Bigdog I'm not happy about any of this from a karaoke host point of view. It used to be that you had costs you paid them, and what was ever left was the profit margin of karaoke hosting. One way or another big business has found a way to increase the cost to consumers. I can remember when T.V. was free and every house had an antenna. Of course the choices were limited as far as channels were concerned. Now it is cable and more choices but you pay for that.

I have seen on other forums that if the current situation would have existed years ago many hosts would never have started a karaoke hosting service business. That includes some large multi rig operations. Currently I'm retired and only do a show once in a while to help out a friend, or for some worthy cause such as homeless Vets. One thing you have to remember Bigdog is that as long as any material is for your own personal use, nobody is going to come banging on your door, to arrest you. If, however, you are engaged in a commercial enterprise and you are making money then lawyers and right holders will want a cut of your action. They want to put you to work for them making them rich, and in the process taking away any incentive for the small business owner to take the risk.