Zipped Mp3+G

Discuss CD+G's, VCD's, song book creators, and any other karaoke related software.
monkieknuts

Zipped Mp3+G

Post by monkieknuts »

Firstly, thanks for the advice that i have so far recieved from this forum regarding my venture away from the cdg disk to setting up laptop karaoke. All your help & advice has been greatly appreciated ! ( Grovel over lol !)

As hardrive space is essential to all of us, please can someone point me in the direction of some software capable of playing the karaoke file in ZIPPED format ? Nothing too complicated or expensive please if possible.

Thanks in Advance !
kindest regards :D
Dale

wiseguy
Site Admin

Post by wiseguy »

As hardrive space is essential to all of us, please can someone point me in the direction of some software capable of playing the karaoke file in ZIPPED format?
There are a few applications that will play zipped mp3+g files. Among these are Hoster, Swift Elite and Swift Ultralite. I'm sure that some other hosting applications have this capability as well.
How to Build a Home Karaoke System
DanG2006

Post by DanG2006 »

wiseguy wrote:
As hardrive space is essential to all of us, please can someone point me in the direction of some software capable of playing the karaoke file in ZIPPED format?
There are a few applications that will play zipped mp3+g files. Among these are Hoster, Hoster Lite, Swift Elite and Swift Ultralite. I'm sure that some other hosting applications have this capability as well.
You forgot Roxbox, Sax & Dotties, Sack-onuts and AutoKDJ.
While all are frontends to winamp, they do just as good if not better jobs with zipped files as the more exspensive. Swift is a resource hog. utralite is nothing more than a player. If you want rotation the winamp front ends are better than the more expensive programs.
www.autokdj.com is the only front end other than sack-onuts that includes auto rotation in it'[s programming. all the rest rely on the user to move songs within the que to make a fair rotation.
www.kjamp.com is roxbox and they have one of the only supercdg converter around. It also has a great importer that doesn't require you to pay for a database.
wiseguy
Site Admin

Post by wiseguy »

I didn't forget about Roxbox and the others. I simply don't think them worth mentioning. I have never cared for the Winamp plugin karaoke hosting systems. They are nothing more than music library plugins with a few added features. You still need separate CDG and key control plugins, which to me are lacking in quality.

I will always prefer the stand alone applications like CompuHost, Hoster, PCDJ-KJ, and others that offer many more features.
DanG2006

Post by DanG2006 »

wiseguy wrote:
I didn't forget about Roxbox and the others. I simply don't think them worth mentioning. I have never cared for the Winamp plugin karaoke hosting systems. They are nothing more than music library plugins with a few added features. You still need separate CDG and key control plugins, which to me are lacking in quality.

I will always prefer the stand alone applications like CompuHost, Hoster, PCDJ-KJ, and others that offer many more features.
MOst of those programs force the buyer to upgrade to windows XP, Run processors in excess of 1.5 ghz which costs extra money better spent on the songs you need to run a show. I get sick of people saying that the more you spend the better you get. For your information, RoxBox has something that HOster doesn't have a singer's history. With RoxBox I can get singers up faster if they've sung at my shows by accessing their history when they step into the door. Hoster has none of this. Yes I give up a decent keychanger untill KJAMp replaces RoxBox.
wiseguy
Site Admin

Post by wiseguy »

I get sick of people saying that the more you spend the better you get. For your information, RoxBox has something that HOster doesn't have a singer's history. With RoxBox I can get singers up faster if they've sung at my shows by accessing their history when they step into the door. Hoster has none of this. Yes I give up a decent keychanger untill KJAMp replaces RoxBox.
The singer history is the only feature that RoxBox has over Hoster. On the other hand, Hoster has many features that Roxbox does not. Ability to import and play video formats and a built in key control are just two. Software hosting programs like RoxBox are unstable as they are not self contained and rely on the stability of third party applications (plugins) for most of their functionality.

As for "singer history" I use a separate and more versatile application to record what songs my singers request as well as where they sing at, songs they request me to find, personal comments, and even their favorite drink. I have tried RoxBox and found it to be the most worthless software that I ever had the pleasure of removing from my computer.
DanG2006

Post by DanG2006 »

[quote="wiseguy]The singer history is the only feature that RoxBox has over Hoster. On the other hand, Hoster has many features that Roxbox does not. Ability to import and play video formats and a built in key control are just two. Software hosting programs like RoxBox are unstable as they are not self contained and rely on the stability of third party applications (plugins) for most of their functionality.

As for "singer history" I use a separate and more versatile application to record what songs my singers request as well as where they sing at, songs they request me to find, personal comments, and even their favorite drink. I have tried RoxBox and found it to be the most worthless software that I ever had the pleasure of removing from my computer.[/quote] you are wrong about roxbox not playing video. I have at least one vcd disc that untill now was only available in vcd and I can play it with zero problems using roxbox. I can also access any audio file in the same manner as I access my karaoke through aseparate database so I cna pick and choose what songs I play when not playing karaoke stuff. If I had the CDG Disc playing plugin running I can if I choose play off of an outside disc. So everything except for multiplex and live keychange is available with Roxbox that is available with Hoster. Hoster will not run on my backup computer yet roxbox does. You can save any playlist as well and if, heavens forbid, your pc temproarily crashes, your singer's list will come up as if nothing happened. So far I have yet to encounter a crash during a show. In fact the only use my backup has seen recently is as a main player in my light setup. I recently hurt my shoulder and needed a lighter system temporarily until my shoulder healed and my laptop worked perfectly.
Umm I just thought of something that RoxBox has that is better than Hoster, a rotation system that is manually choosable but autokdj goes one step further with auto rotation. WHat I mean is
Hoster you're stuck with
play joe be good to yourself
skip joe girl can't help it
skip joe send her my love
cue tom born to be my baby
skip tom it's my life

while just any other program you get:
1:joe be good to your self
2:Tom Born to be my baby
3:joe girl can't help it
4:tom it's my life
5:joe send her my love

Also the next singer looks better with RoxBox than with Hoster.
Oh and most of these features are automated so you can deal more with the cutomers. I have used hoster and feel it's overpriced for a program that will never have a user friendly rotation program at the choice of their creaters. In fact any mention of their lack of any real rotation gets locked down in the forums. Add to that being forced to convert into a format that if you find a better program you're forced to re rip in their format because your program can't use KMA files. they are worse than microsoft.
Don't get me wrong, while their program shows quality, their personal attitude when dealling with their customer's request leaves you with something more to be desired.