New mics

Your comments, questions, or opinions on any karaoke related hardware.
DanG2006

New mics

Post by DanG2006 »

I recently bought two new wireless mic systems for my system. One mic I absolutely love but have not played out with it and the other system has 2 headset mics. I have tried to use those in a show but I believe that they are running too hot and I didn't have a screwdriver available to adjust the gains in the transmitters. The new one that I have only used at home for recording is a handheld whose receiver will plug into the USB port of a computer or a USB port of my mixer. I have not decided whether or not to plug it into my laptop to give me extra mic inputs on the mixer or to plug it into the mixer. If I plug it into the mixer I lose the use of one of the mic inputs because the mixer's controls that are designed to work with the USB port was designed for the dual mic version of my new mic. It also gives me a wireless mic system for use at a bar where all I really need to bring in is my laptop. Their mics are all wired mics. Now if I choose to replace a grill on an old wireless system that I have I can have three handheld wireless mics and save the wired mics for the off chance that the batteries die on me and I don't have any spares available to switch. I usually carry extra on me and at the bar shows actually like to change batteries every show to avoid that situation, which has only happened once to me.

DanG2006

Re: New mics

Post by DanG2006 »

Update, I still haven't been able to test the headsets because when I packed them away from the first attempt, apparently I made the mistake of only muting the mics rather than turn them all the way off so when I pulled them out for the next show, dead batteries and no replacements for them, actually I didn't really look to see if I had any. Turns out that I had 12 batteries in my laptop bag and didn't realize it because I am so used to getting multiple shows from my mics without having to change them every show like I use to when I was dealing with 9v batteries. I tried the new handheld for one show and was totally confused because recording with the mic hooked up to the laptop, it kicked butt so much I had to hold the mic in my lap to keep from overpowering the music. With the mixer it was totally the opposite. I was eating the mic with the mic volume that is controlled on the mic as well as the mixer at what I thought was max and the mixer's mic channel that controlled the mic's volume almost at max to even get a whisper out of it. Part of me thinks that the mixer's setting for high-z or low-z was set wrong.
mr.dj

Post by mr.dj »

If your talking about the Ultralink mic from behringer I have one but rarely use it with my mixer. It's Ok plugged directly into the computer for recording though. If I remember right you need to raise the volume on the mic by repeatedly pressing the up volume, I don't think Just keeping the volume up pressed raises it, you have to use several short presses, same when lowering the volume as a long press mutes it.
I stopped using it for this reason as you had to adjust it every time you turned it on, also I found the batteries run down fairly quickly.
DanG2006

Post by DanG2006 »

Update. I got a reply from one of the customer service guys on Wednesday after trying unsuccessfully to get it to work. I don't mind having to hit the volume several times. I am going to try once more to use it. If I can't get it to work with the mixer, I will just relegate it to home recording duty. According to specs the battery life is supposed to be 8 hours. More than enough time for one full 4 hour show.
DanG2006

Post by DanG2006 »

Ok, the single mic never worked but I picked up the dual mic version of it and have been able to successfully use it in 2 shows. That said, I am looking at going back to a mixer that I use to own because I can't find a nonpowered mixer with the inputs for the new mics, even though I really like the sound of the new mics and thehow easy the setup is with them. The mixer that I am using now is just not powerful enough to adequately power my EV ZX1's.