HELP: advices need for reducing feedback on my karaoke system

Anything that doesn't fit in another category.
phattrinh

HELP: advices need for reducing feedback on my karaoke system

Post by phattrinh »

hi everyone,
I am new to Karaoke at home, and recently set up a set for my wife, and the audio feedback is killing me :'(

current system are
Behringer Xenyx Fx1202 mixer
Behringer FBQ1502
2 powered Peavey PR15
2 Audio Technica At2010

room size is 25 feet long and 20 feet wide
speaker are facing the 25 feet long

as far as the FBQ 1502 with the feedback detection it doesn't pick up the feedback until the feedback almost blow my ear drum...

I would need your expert help on how to set the Gain before feedback, is there any tip that I can do to improve my system to eliminate the feedback?

mr.dj

Re: HELP: advices need for reducing feedback on my karaoke system

Post by mr.dj »

I would say do away with the FBQ1502, more trouble than its worth setting it up.

Any setup will give feedback if the volumes are too high. There are a number of videos on Youtube for setting the gain on your mixer, basically set the channel volume to 0 DB then adjust the gain for that channel not to clip just flicker, lastly set the speaker volume control for the required volume. The acoustics of the room can also influence feedback if there are plain walls bouncing the sound back.
The speakers placement if possible should be ahead of the singer or if that is awkward try facing them slightly away, perhaps pointing into a sidewall. If your only using one mic turn the other off, make sure not to point the mic at the speaker.
phattrinh

Post by phattrinh »

so you suggest bypass the FBQ1502?
and just go from the mixer straight to the speaker?
set the gain on the microphone so it doesn't clip and set the fader/volume Knob to 0 for the microphone
then set the master fade (main signal coming from the mixer including the vocal and music signal to the active speaker) to the desire volume?

so for the stereo input, should I put it in one of the stereo line in or should I use Tape/Cd in line?
mr.dj

Post by mr.dj »

I just downloaded a photo fro Behringer as I don't have this mixer so I was giving general advice.
Now I've seen it, Set the main fader to 0 db and the mike level to 0db then adjust the gain knobs for each channel so as not to clip.
Then I would use channel 5/6 left and right for the stereo in rather than the tape/cd but either will do, you would need a couple of jack connectors rather than the rca phono if using 5/6.
Then use that channel level control initially set to 0 but adjust after to get a blend of volume with mic.
That's balanced the overhaul volumes of the inputs. use the the speakers own volume control for your actual main volume that you want.
You can make final adjustments using the level knobs or main volume slider on the mixer to adjust for differences in music or soft singers after.

One other thing, Cupping the mics can increase the chance of feedback.
phattrinh

Post by phattrinh »

Thank you so much Mr. Dj

just to make sure I got this down correctly,
set all my mike volume to util. then adjust the gain
then set the main volume fader to 0

and base on that we adjust the music and gain of mike to the volume desire for the room
currently my music is input at line 5/6 via 1/4inch cable (cable are expensive :'( )
mr.dj

Post by mr.dj »

That Behringer FBQ1502 I originally mistook it for their feedback destroyer rather than an equalizer but I would say get your system working correct without it first. You can think about adding that when you've learnt to control the sound better.

Now your getting me confused with your summary.

When you say "and base on that we adjust the music and gain of mike to the volume desire for the room
currently my music is input at line 5/6 via 1/4inch cable (cable are expensive :'( )"

Bear in mind I don't own any of the items your using but the Peavey active speakers should have a volume control on the back, that is what you set the overhaul volume for the room with.

The mixer you use to balance the sound between the different inputs just making slight adjustments for differences when the singer might sing softer or louder or the stereo input volume varies.
Paradigm Karaoke

Post by Paradigm Karaoke »

ok, the mic should only clip when you try your damndest to make it.
any actual number of setting for your faders is not able to be set. it happens while mixing.
general rules, the mixer faders (in this case, the white knobs on each channel) are used to mix the difference in sound between the different inputs (music, and the different mics)
the master volume is used only for the room volume (what you want the overall volume in the room to be)
the volume on your powered speakers should in general be wide open and use the master volume on your mixer for control (that is what is is there for) as long as you have them set to line and not mic level.
overall, that mixer is not made for mics, just line levels. a mixer made for mics, especially nice ones like you have will utilize a sweepable mid control like the Behringer 1622usb. this will also give you a PFL control to see the input of your mic and get the gain under better control which will take care of your feedback.
i do agree with removing the eq because i assume you have it set to the standard "smiley face" setting. something like this
http://blog.hughes-and-kettner.com/wp-c ... on-1-5.jpg
this is feedback inducing and a horrible use of an eq even though we have all been told otherwise at some point.
phattrinh

Post by phattrinh »

for my EQ, it has the Dection of Feedback, therefore I only drop the one that creating feedback, in this case is the 4k, 250 and 1.6k
I am confuse, is my mixer good enough or you suggest 1622?
and you suggest that I use line signal instead of mic signal for my speaker? I will check it out tonight once I get home.
thank you so much for all the help!
Paradigm Karaoke

Post by Paradigm Karaoke »

if you dropped the frequencies creating feedback but are still getting feedback, your gain stages are not quite right.
part of that is that the mixer can not handle mic signals properly.
no pfl control
no sweepable mids

using the standard xlr out from the mixer to powered speakers is fine.
phattrinh

Post by phattrinh »

Thank you so much for the gain stage! My gain was too high! Now even if i sing right next to the speaker and no sign of feedback ;)

Thank you very much!!!

Paradigm Karaoke wrote: Thu Aug 24, 2017 7:18 am if you dropped the frequencies creating feedback but are still getting feedback, your gain stages are not quite right.
part of that is that the mixer can not handle mic signals properly.
no pfl control
no sweepable mids

using the standard xlr out from the mixer to powered speakers is fine.