Downsizing system, need advice on smaller speakers

Your comments, questions, or opinions on any karaoke related hardware.
Knewbie

Downsizing system, need advice on smaller speakers

Post by Knewbie »

I am a long-time karaoke singer, and I made the mistake of thinking that meant I would be a good karaoke host. I had visions of lots of parties and outdoor events, but eventually realized it's just not for me. I would much rather have more intimate gatherings in my living room.

A friend put my system together several years ago, and I've discovered I use it maybe once a year at most. I think part of the problem for me is that it's really overkill for what I want to do. I find myself not bringing it out because it's just too big and heavy to deal with.

Therefore, I'm downsizing, and looking for recommendations for smaller speakers. I currently have a pair of Harbinger APS15 15" active loudspeakers. I would like a pair of something smaller, lighter, and more portable. I do like that this set accepts mic input directly, so would ideally like that again, but it's not a necessity. In terms of sound, I would like to fill a large living room or a small outdoor space. Cost isn't as big a consideration as quality and portability. Advice appreciated.

Thank you!

DanG2006

Re: Downsizing system, need advice on smaller speakers

Post by DanG2006 »

I just reinvested in a pair of EV ZXA1 speakers. They are powered, don't know the wattage specs on the Harbingers, but the ZXA1 speakers are rated at 800 watts peak. They are also only 19 lbs a speaker. They have a mic input as well as a line input. I returned to them because a) I have a bad shoulder and can't lift anything heavier than the ZXA1 speakers onto speaker stands and even then I need air assist speaker stands because I can't lift the speakers to the top of the stands if they are set at the required height. The bass I would guess would probably be equal or more than the Harbingers would put out, again I have never really heard them but unstand that they are basically made for guitar center as beginner speakers. You will thank me for suggesting the EV speakers. They are running at $998 a pair at Zzounds where you don't even have to have all the money upfront because they have pay as you play plans where you choose how many payments you want to make and put down your first payment with a processing fee. The payments are totally equal payments that minus the processing fee and shipping is the actual cost of the speakers.
wiseguy
Site Admin

Re: Downsizing system, need advice on smaller speakers

Post by wiseguy »

The Harbingers are entry level speakers and are like toys compared to the EVs. If price is not a concern you would be very happy with the EV ZXA1 speakers. In my opinion the next step down in both price and quality would be the Yamaha DBR10 speakers at about $400 apiece.