Hi, new and seeking opinions for a home karaoke system.

Your comments, questions, or opinions on any karaoke related hardware.
Unlimited MP3+G Downloads
dnacyan

Hi, new and seeking opinions for a home karaoke system.

Post by dnacyan »

Hi everyone,

I am thinking of setting up a basement karaoke system for some occasional fun when we have gatherings at our place (think no more than 5-6 times a year). Unfortunately, when it comes to sound systems, I have absolutely no clue on what to look out for so I am turning to the community for some advice.

Other than the initial novelty with the family, the system will likely not see frequent usage, so I am hoping not to spend too much money on it, but understanding "you get what you pay for", my budget can be slightly flexible if necessary to get a decently good setup.

I will mostly likely be hooking the system up to an android tablet (or Android TV box) utilizing some karaoke app with Youtube as an alternative and the setup does not need to be portable.

My basement is a rectangular room (about 25.5' x 15.5') with the TV and sitting area on one end occupying about half of the room. The other half is just some open area and a work desk.

Having read a few of the threads on various forums, it looks like I will need a pair of PA speakers (preferably powered), a mixer and a set of mics (prefer wireless).

Below are some of the options that I took note of and I am looking for suggestions/opinions as to what will fit my needs. I will like a decently good system, but do not wish to spend too much for an overkill setup. My initial budget is set around CDN$ 1000, and the listed prices are off Amazon.ca.

Speakers:
Behringer B210D - CDN$ 279.99 (~USD$ 220)
Behringer B212D - CDN$ 375.00 (~USD$ 290)
Behringer B112D - CDN$ 338.49 (~USD$ 265)
Behringer B115D - CDN$ 429.99 (~USD$ 335)
Yamaha DBR12 - CDN$ 649.99 (~ USD$505 - likely out of my budget)

Mixers:
Behringer 1002FX - CDN$ 136.16 (~USD$ 105)
Behringer 1202FX - CDN$ 153.12 (~USD$ 120)
Behringer QX1002USB - CDN$ 163.85 (~USD$ 130)
Yamaha MG10XU - CDN$ 259.99 (~USD$ 200)

Speakers/Mixer Combo:
Behringer EPS500MP3 - CDN$ 587.79 (~USD$ 460)
Yamaha Stagepas 400i - CDN$ 893.99 (~USD$ 695)
Yamaha Stagepas 600i - CDN$ 1049 (~USD$ 815)

Mics:
GTD Audio G-622H (2-mic system) - CDN$ 307.07 (~USD$ 240)

I have seen an ad pop-up on this site on the Acesonic HM-225 microphones, but can't seem to find much reviews for them. Other than that, I have not found any other forum recommended mics that are priced within my budget, but I remain hopeful.

Overall, the speaker/mixer combo systems are looking quite attractive because the set comes with 2 speakers but I am not sure if they will provide enough power to my basement room.

Hoping to hear some suggestions and I am also open to recommendations for other brands/models.

Thanks!!

DanG2006

Re: Hi, new and seeking opinions for a home karaoke system.

Post by DanG2006 »

The Behringer mixer/speaker combination has an answer for you. If you can afford $220 usd you can get a pair of Behringer ultralink ULM200USB digital wireless mics. They sound just about as good as a Sennheiser 835 wireless mic. I own both mics and love both of them.
The combination systems should be able to handle your room, no problem. I have covered rooms twice that size with a Stagepass 300 which is 150 watts per speaker. That system was my small room/ cheapskate client system.
dnacyan

Re: Hi, new and seeking opinions for a home karaoke system.

Post by dnacyan »

Following thread on the other site, but wanted to thank you here as well.

Cheers!