VocoPro DVX-890K (no lyrics when .mp3 plays from USB/SD)

Your comments, questions, or opinions on any karaoke related hardware.
Unlimited MP3+G Downloads
surfwax

VocoPro DVX-890K (no lyrics when .mp3 plays from USB/SD)

Post by surfwax »

I bought a VocoPro DVX-890K for home use and want to put all my karaoke songs (.mp3 and .cdg files) on a USB drive or SD card for easy access to all my songs. It will play the .mp3 karaoke songs but it says "mp3 lyric file not found" at the bottom. I know the .cdg file is good b/c I played it on my computer using CD+G karaoke creator pro. Maybe I need to use MP3+G on the USB/SD? Perhaps VocoPro is falsely advertising their product and this model will only play CD+G discs? If that's the case, I think I'll bring this back and upgrade to a version that will play directly off the thumb drive (DVX-777K, perhaps?).

What's crazy is their manual has virtually no information about all this jazz, so I've been reading all morning. Thanks for any info you can provide.

mnementh

Post by mnementh »

Hi there,
the user manual is, in fact, quite clear.

Nowhere in either the manual or the specification does VocoPro claim MP3+G capability!!!

What it clearly says is that it plays CD+G, i.e. standard Karaoke discs, AND MP3 files, i.e. music in MP3 format.

To be fair, the Karaoke playing section of the manual is sparse, to say the least and amounts to only half a page on page 22 but it only EVER mentions discs, NEVER USB or SD inputs.

I do, however, find it strange that you get a "lyric file not found" error message.

Might I suggest burning a CD with MP3+G files (do NOT convert to audio) and try that.

You should get 150 - 200 songs per CD and if that works, a burned DVD will hold 1,000+ tracks.

Sandy.
How to Build a Home Karaoke System
surfwax

Post by surfwax »

Thanks for your response. I would say that a better adjective for this manual would be "inconveniently incomplete" as opposed to "quite clear".

Yes, the manual doesn't claim MP3+G anywbere, but if it doesn't support MP3+G over USB, then why does it play my .mp3 files with an error that says "MP3 lyric file not found"? It seems that it is looking for a lyric file associated with the .mp3 file (MP3+G is what I'm doing, right?....mp3 and .cdg files in a folder). Also, why is there a setting to turn MP3 lyrics on or off in the menu? Maybe if I use a different filesystem (FAT32/NTFS/NFS) or move the .mp3 and .cdg files directly to the root of the SD card, it'll work. I'll try that, and from a CD/DVD, and post my results.

You are also correct that the small part of the manual that even has the word "karaoke" mentions discs only (kind of ironic it's only half a page, since this is mainly a karaoke machine). However, it only describes specifically how to remove vocal tracks from CD+G, not general operation or support.

Anyway, I'll test more and let you guys know how it goes. Again, just to be clear, MP3+G is just .mp3 and .cdg files in the same directory and same name, correct? These files can just be burned directly onto the disc (or whatever media) without any special ripping, burning or authoring program? The .cdg files are the same as if you burned them to create a CD+G disc, the only difference being the format of the audio (.mp3 vice whatever CD+G uses)?

Thanks again!
wiseguy
Site Admin

Post by wiseguy »

You can create an MP3+G disc by burning the mp3/cdg file pairs to a CD-R as data. You cannot create a CD+G disc this way. For this the files need to be encoded together first. You would need a program like Power CD+G Burner.

The only VocoPro player that supports MP3+G is the DVG-777K III.
mr.dj

Post by mr.dj »

Page 8 of the manual lists the compatible formats as follows:
DVD, DIVX, CD+G, Mp3, VCD, SVCD, DVD-R/RW, DVD+R/RW, CD-R/RW, HDCD.

It does not state MP3+G therefore I doubt you will get it to play them.
mr.dj

Post by mr.dj »

From my understanding it will play DIVX karaoke files so you would have to convert them to that format, you can read about that here:
http://www.vocopro.com/divx_operations.html
surfwax

Post by surfwax »

I still haven't had the opportunity to test, but I will post the results as soon as I do. Thanks for your input, however, I still can't figure out why I would get an "MP3 lyric file not found" error and have an option to turn mp3 lyrics on or off if it doesn't support mp3+g. You're certainly correct that it doesn't state mp3+g anywhere in the instructions. I have a message out to Vocopro customer support. Perhaps they can toss in their 2 cents.
surfwax

Post by surfwax »

For anyone who might be curious, I spoke with one of the VocoPro techs who advised that this model could not play two files simultaneously, and that any audio/video karaoke files would need to be ripped to .avi for playback in one file. Neither of the two techs were familiar with the "Mp3 lyrics file not found" error. They just didn't know. Anyhoo...

AVI files are far too large and take too much time to rip, so I returned this unit and bought a DVG-777k model III. Mp3+G works great on DVD or USB, although a DVD full of mp3s takes about 5-10 minutes to load. A full 16G USB drive takes nearly 30 minutes. Putting the files into individual folders, as opposed to putting them on the root of the USB thumb, speeds this process up to about 15-20 minutes. Anyone know how I can speed this up?

Thanks!
wiseguy
Site Admin

Post by wiseguy »

Thanks for the update. Sure you can speed it up... just use smaller USB drives... lol. These machines are notorious for being slow at loading media. The best option, if you would rather use a machine than a computer, is to go with one of the internal hard drive machines.
JakeSINY

Re: VocoPro DVX-890K (no lyrics when .mp3 plays from USB/SD)

Post by JakeSINY »

Vocopro when using a flash drive the file format must be AVI