Karaoke styles

Anything that doesn't fit in another category.
DanG2006

Karaoke styles

Post by DanG2006 »

I have noticed that there are at least four styles of Karaoke, three of them, I actually have little to no problem with.
Style #1: traditional straight karaoke.
Moves from one Karaoke performer to the next without any use of DJ music
Style#2: filler music
Uses snippets of DJ music in between singers, just enough to kill dead air.
Style #3: Karaoke/DJ night
Plays DJ breaks every so often
I have no problem with it as long as it doesn't interrupt the rotation and the advertising says that it's karaoke/DJ night and not just Karaoke night. I like to know ahead of time what I am dealing with.
4. Let's steal time away from the singer night
Host plays full DJ music between every singer whether or not there's time for it. Have no use for these shows. I walked out on the one show that I went to.
My show has become a mixture of the first three so I no longer promote my shows as Karaoke Night. But I will drop the DJ music the later the show goes on or depending on the number of singers present.

wiseguy
Site Admin

Re: Karaoke styles

Post by wiseguy »

There's karaoke with DJ mixed in (like #3) and then there's DJ with karaoke mixed in (like #4). The problem is that some hosts don't know the difference and misrepresent what they actually do.

Let me add a #5 to this which for me is the worst of all. This is the KJ who thinks it's his/her job to entertain the crowd by singing every other song or multiple songs in a row.
Unlimited MP3+G Downloads
mr.dj

Post by mr.dj »

I use style 2. But how long i play it between singers depends on how many singers are in the rotation. As often happens at the start of the show might only be 4 singers so I'll let the filler play longer, by the time rotation reaches 10 or more then its just to fill dead air till the next singer is ready. I don't advertise as karaoke/dj, i just play it by ear. If you have an audience of about 70 plus people and only a handfull of them want to sing then it may be a bit tedious to the main audiece to just keep listening to the same few people, sometimes people will request l play a previous short filler song in full between singers which l will do if the rotion is a short one.
DanG2006

Post by DanG2006 »

wiseguy wrote: Fri Apr 19, 2019 10:42 pm There's karaoke with DJ mixed in (like #3) and then there's DJ with karaoke mixed in (like #4). The problem is that some hosts don't know the difference and misrepresent what they actually do.

Let me add a #5 to this which for me is the worst of all. This is the KJ who thinks it's his/her job to entertain the crowd by singing every other song or multiple songs in a row.
I would lump that in with number 4. I believe that is equally bad as both have the host stealing song time away from the primary entertainment, the audience. There was a time where if you didn't have singers, you sang all night. I only had one show like that in my entire career and it taught me a valuable lesson. One, if not used to singing every song one can kill your voice with poor choices for songs to sing and two, sometimes if you have a decent voice you can actually scare away potetial singers. That night at the end I found out that there were a few in the audience leaning towards putting in a song but they were enjoying my singing and didn't want to interrupt it.
DanG2006

Post by DanG2006 »

mr.dj wrote: Sat Apr 20, 2019 7:11 am I use style 2. But how long i play it between singers depends on how many singers are in the rotation. As often happens at the start of the show might only be 4 singers so I'll let the filler play longer, by the time rotation reaches 10 or more then its just to fill dead air till the next singer is ready. I don't advertise as karaoke/dj, i just play it by ear. If you have an audience of about 70 plus people and only a handfull of them want to sing then it may be a bit tedious to the main audiece to just keep listening to the same few people, sometimes people will request l play a previous short filler song in full between singers which l will do if the rotion is a short one.
If I use snippets at all, I personally hated doing that because I would invariably run into grief over cutting off a good song so I switched to a variable of number 3, playing a break between rotations of full DJ music, only 15 minutes max and then starting the rotation over again.
Part of why I started this thread is that I ran into number 4 recently. I had heard 9of this style being all the rage down in North Carolina where they even tell you what you can and cannot put in for sobg selection, usually hip hop garbage which I personally refuse to sing even as a host. I might use that request for a DJ break depending on the number of people who are singing and the person paying me choice of music. Wouldn't go near it even in a DJ break if it's "Family Friendly" and the person paying me wants a clean show.
The other Part is that now that I am using a digital mixer, I actually have the luxury of putting the player on autoplay and setting a countdown timer on the singer's monitor before the start of the next song so now I have to use the snippets between singers but I also want to continue using the DJ break music in case the number if I have a majorly slow night. Figure to avert the oh that was a great song issue by reserving normal DJ music for the breaks between rotations and just playing instrumental music between singers.