Newbie here, need some help.

Your comments, questions, or opinions on any karaoke related hardware.
Unlimited MP3+G Downloads
Snakemau25

Newbie here, need some help.

Post by Snakemau25 »

Hello,

I would like to get some basic information about hardware. I'm looking at having a good karaoke system for home to have some fun with friends and family (Will be used at least once a week). Now I have seen the little all in one machines that are around but that's not what I'm looking for. I was looking at something a little more durable. I know Vocopro and other companies make some good karaoke systems, but I have no experience with them and honestly I know about vocopro cause my local music store has one, but I also know there are some simple reliable systems that use bluetooth instead of CD's for karaoke. So my question for this forum is should I be looking for a system that works mostly on CD's or should I look for a system that do mostly bluetooth and software karaoke? or a combination of these two? I also prefer wireless mics and individual volume controls for duets and others. Any help will be appreciate it...and if I posted this in the wrong forum my apologies. Thanks

wiseguy
Site Admin

Re: Newbie here, need some help.

Post by wiseguy »

You need to provide some more information like the budget you're working with, and any equipment you may already have like a Windows laptop you could use as the player for example. Unless you opt for an all-in-one system you are going to need an amp and mixer or powered mixer with passive PA speakers or an audio mixer with active (powered) PA speakers.

You're definitely going to want to go with player that will play MP3+G and video karaoke files as that is where the largest selection of karaoke song titles are found. Karaoke discs are pretty much obsolete and becoming increasingly harder to locate. I would recommend using a Windows laptop and karaoke software as the player.
Snakemau25

Post by Snakemau25 »

Hello,

Thanks for the answer. I do have a windows computer and no I don’t have any equipment yet. My budget is about $500-$1000, but again I don’t want to break the bank! But I was looking at some equipment like the Behringer Eurolive B115D speakers, Behringer XENYX QX1002USB mixer and some ULTRALINK ULM Series USB Wireless Mics....any of you with experience on these? Should I be looking at other brands? Seems Yamaha has a very nice mixer the MG12XU but maybe too much for what I want? It’s definitely more expensive than the Behringer but is it worth it? Any other suggestions?
Snakemau25

Post by Snakemau25 »

Will check the info for the software as well.
DanG2006

Post by DanG2006 »

As long as you and your guests maintain the awareness that the ulm mics buttons are very sensitive. Hold down the down button for a few seconds and it will mute the mics. Otherwise they sound great. Instead of the USB mics, you might want the ones with mic at the end of the model number because you have a better choice of mixers at your disposal. I would go with the the Yamaha mg xu series because you can run your sound directly from your USB port on your laptop directly into the mixer and have full control of the music in one of your regular mixer channels allowing you to eq the music to your liking.
Snakemau25

Post by Snakemau25 »

Ah ok like the Ultralink ULM302MIC mics? What about the speakers? Any suggestions to go with the Yamaha MG12XU? Maybe the EUROLIVE B115W instead?
DanG2006

Post by DanG2006 »

How big of a room are we talking?
I personally use Alto Professional TS308 speakers which are light but pack a lot of punch. I would put them up against any Behringer 15" speakers and they would hold their own. 2000 watts . Huge bass response. Highly recommend them. If you don't need that kind of power they have they have the 200 series.
Snakemau25

Post by Snakemau25 »

Something like this set up?? Maybe with different mics?
https://www.musiciansfriend.com/pro-aud ... ?rNtt=Alto Professional TS308 &index=3
DanG2006

Post by DanG2006 »

Snakemau25 wrote: Wed Sep 11, 2019 4:12 pm Something like this set up?? Maybe with different mics?
https://www.musiciansfriend.com/pro-aud ... ?rNtt=Alto Professional TS308 &index=3
That looks like a great package. You can start out with the mics for now and upgrade later. Make yourself familiar with both your hosting software and and sound system so you can get the most out of it.
Snakemau25

Post by Snakemau25 »

I’m looking over at tha package I linked what’s the difference between the MG12XUK mixer and the MG12XU besides price? Also would the 10” 12” or 15” speakers be a better fit instead of the 8” if I go with the MG12XU mixer?
DanG2006

Post by DanG2006 »

No difference between the speakers except for size and weight.
wiseguy
Site Admin

Post by wiseguy »

Both of those mixers are overkill for a home system IMO. The Yamaha MG10XU mixer would do an excellent job for less money. The main difference between the woofer size of the speakers will be the bass response you can expect. Those 8" mains will probably be sufficient for your situation. Personally, I would go with at least a 10" woofer like in the Alto Professional TX210. A good sounding for the money wireless microphone system is the GTD Audio Karaoke Mic System 733.