Need Help With Setting up Karaoke for Home

Your comments, questions, or opinions on any karaoke related hardware.
Unlimited MP3+G Downloads
LammiE

Need Help With Setting up Karaoke for Home

Post by LammiE »

Hi guys, I'm looking to set up a home karaoke. I think most of the karaoke songs will be played from youtube on the Samsung Q6F Smart TV. But I would also like to have the options of using another software/platform with free content if they are available. I have looked at the other threads and found some equipment that I would be interested in but any suggestions are welcomed.

Speaker: Alto Professional TS310

Microphone: GTD Audio 2x800 Channel UHF

Mixer: Yamaha Mg10Xu (should I get the one with USB interface? What if sometimes I'm not using a laptop but using the TV instead, would the usb interface only works with Laptop/PC? )

Another thing I'm confuse about. Do I need a receiver or not? I'm totally not sure of how to connect everything.

Is this setup too much for a living room? The entertainment area is about 15' x 15'

Any help is appreciated. Please let me know if you have any questions.

DanG2006

Re: Need Help With Setting up Karaoke for Home

Post by DanG2006 »

If you're using the laptop, you're going to want to connect the external hdmi output of the laptop into the tv. Access you tube on the laptop. I personally would recommend that you look into either Siglos player/recorder or Siglos Karaoke Professional so you can access you tube from inside the program rather than deal with a browser. Trust me, it would make things easier for you in the long run.
Personally, I would recommend the Rockville 3300ua mic system. Sound quality is as good or even better than the GTD set. You can't go wrong with both the Yamaha mixer, it's what I am using, and the Alto Professional speakers, I use the Alto Professional TS308 series myself. Phenomenal bass output and overall cranks. You might want to consider going with the same model that I use for the size of the room. You actually won't lose any sound quality going with the smaller speakers.
How to Build a Home Karaoke System
wiseguy
Site Admin

Post by wiseguy »

I see nothing wrong with any of that equipment. The Yamaha mixer has other connection options additional to USB making it east to connect to virtually any TV. You should take Dan's suggestion that you go with software like Siglos Karaoke Player/Recorder. It has a feature to let you search for and play YouTube videos from within the program. It will also allow you to play CD+G discs with your computer's CD/DVD drive and allow you to change the key and/or tempo of your audio.
DanG2006

Post by DanG2006 »

The only advantages to the GTD mics is that you can get replacement mics cheaply from the manufacturer. Otherwise the Rockville mics are a more cost efficient choice.
LammiE

Post by LammiE »

Thank you for the advice Dan, and wiseguy (Sorry I dont know your name). So if I get the mixer, I dont really need a Receiver right? I will just hook the mic to the mixer, and the mixer out to the speakers?
The sound from TV would also go into the mixer? (For when I dont want to use a laptop, or is this the scenario where I would need a receiver if im not using a laptop and only using the TV youtube app ? )

Sorry I'm a noobie with these kind of things.

Again thank you guys so much.
wiseguy
Site Admin

Post by wiseguy »

The receiver in a karaoke system is used as an amplifier when you use passive (non-powered) speakers. Since you are using active speakers (each speaker having its own integrated amplifier) you will have no need for a receiver at all. All audio will go through the mixer and the mixed signal will go out to the speakers.
DanG2006

Post by DanG2006 »

LammiE wrote: Wed Nov 13, 2019 10:11 pm Thank you for the advice Dan, and wiseguy (Sorry I dont know your name). So if I get the mixer, I dont really need a Receiver right? I will just hook the mic to the mixer, and the mixer out to the speakers?
The sound from TV would also go into the mixer? (For when I dont want to use a laptop, or is this the scenario where I would need a receiver if im not using a laptop and only using the TV youtube app ? )

Sorry I'm a noobie with these kind of things.

Again thank you guys so much.
You're going to find using the laptop rather than the tv, even if it is a smart tv. I would actually advise you to use KaraFuns web browser over you Tube and pay the 9.99 a month for access to over 30,000 songs for the home subscription of you use it a lot, otherwise I suggest the 5.99 for 48 hours plan. Siglos is only going to give you the access to YouTube. The rest of the music you are going to have to buy.