Retired from karaoke itself

Anything that doesn't fit in another category.
How to Build a Home Karaoke System
DanG2006

Retired from karaoke itself

Post by DanG2006 »

I have decided that today's bar scene as a host has passed me by. Am now considering retirement from professionally hosting karaoke.
Might be interested in my doing either sing-along nights or days for like nursing homes or even just singing for nursing homes. It probably means getting rid of the super system and getting a lower powered system. But it will also make song choices more vocal friendly for myself but I am torn between a couple of systems.

TQ8-24HSN Traveler Quest 8 All-In-One Portable PA System With Two Receivers, One Handheld Microphone, and One Headset Microphone: https://www.guitarcenter.com/Galaxy-Aud ... rophone.gc

Or

https://m.samash.com/pa-systems/tourtek ... -satpa21pk#

DanG2006

Re: Retired from karaoke itself

Post by DanG2006 »

Well it's not a nursing home but I got myself a 4 song try out at a local bookstore Cafe on Tuesday.
wblindauer

Post by wblindauer »

Seriously considering (attempting) to KJ here in the Rio Grande Valley (Pharr, Tx) in the same type venues as you speak of DanG2006. There are numerous RV Resorts/Nursing/Assisted Living/VA homes down here that could use some weekly (early) evening 50's-60's-Country music fun. I've owned a RSQ (Neo+G) system for quite some time but thinking of trying the PC laptop thing. Read a lot about the Siglos Karaoke Professional software and leaning that way. Any recommendations in this adventure?
wiseguy
Site Admin

Post by wiseguy »

wblindauer wrote: Fri Apr 03, 2020 3:16 pm Seriously considering (attempting) to KJ here in the Rio Grande Valley (Pharr, Tx) in the same type venues as you speak of DanG2006. There are numerous RV Resorts/Nursing/Assisted Living/VA homes down here that could use some weekly (early) evening 50's-60's-Country music fun. I've owned a RSQ (Neo+G) system for quite some time but thinking of trying the PC laptop thing. Read a lot about the Siglos Karaoke Professional software and leaning that way. Any recommendations in this adventure?
Is there anything in particular you want to know?
wblindauer

Post by wblindauer »

FEES: What is a "typical" amount fee-wise you charge for a hour-and-a-half to two hour show? I understand the number will be "regional" in nature and "venue" related.

SONG FILE FORMATS: The more I read the more confused I get. Does the "Siglos Karaoke Professional" software/app "like" one format "better" than another? (i.e., .zip vs .cda) I wish to create my library to suit the software best.

LIBRARY NUMBERING SYSTEM: {Disc} {Number} {Title} {Artist} or {Disc} {Number} {Artist} {Title} or other or it really doesn't matter.

DIGITAL BOOK: Can you recommend a cheap "tablet" to use for a Book? The elderly/tech-less people I'd be dealing with would most likely "struggle" with a phone connection.
DanG2006

Post by DanG2006 »

File format really doesn't matter. Mp3+g will use the least amount of space on your hard drive but Mp4 will look cleaner. Naming, I would just make sure that you include artist, Song Title and Brand name, just in case you have duplicates. Test them out to see what happens to be the best quality version and give the singer that version.
DanG2006

Post by DanG2006 »

As to books, you don't have to use a tablet. You can use a Wifi enabled laptop that you can get for cheap on Ebay and install a linux based operating system on it. Don't have to hook up to the internet at all with Siglos. Just need a web browser to use the remote request system.
DanG2006

Post by DanG2006 »

As to fees, haven't really thought about that. Personally I wasn't going to charge for my services since I was retired.
wblindauer

Post by wblindauer »

Thanks DanG - I really appreciate you sharing your insight into this adventure. I'll keep you posted on my progress (and screw-ups) along the way.
wiseguy
Site Admin

Post by wiseguy »

MP3+G (in particular zipped MP3+G) is by far the most popular karaoke file format available today. It is supported by virtually every karaoke hosting software application. It also offers more song titles and makes the best use of hard drive space.

Properly naming your song files is extremely important. You need to adopt a naming convention and apply it to every single song. You should read my The Importance of Properly Naming Karaoke Song Files article for detailed information.

I am old school when it comes to song requests. I have no interest in having singers make song requests remotely. I prefer the personal interaction of having the singers hand me their request slips. Having a kiosk for singers to look up their songs is fine until you get several singers wanting to use it at the same time. I actually still print out song books and pass them out for the crowd to browse through and locate their songs. This goes over well with the less tech savvy older crowds. Check out my Karaoke Song Books and Request Forms article.
DanG2006

Post by DanG2006 »

In today's world of pandemic one may have to do away with old school ways of taking requests unless you want to catch the virus. I am going to only get my requests via Remote request app and kiosk for those who don't have smartphones.
wiseguy
Site Admin

Post by wiseguy »

DanG2006 wrote: Wed Apr 22, 2020 1:46 pm In today's world of pandemic one may have to do away with old school ways of taking requests unless you want to catch the virus. I am going to only get my requests via Remote request app and kiosk for those who don't have smartphones.
Seems kind of a moot point considering you still have to pass the microphone(s) around and be in close contact with the customers. To avoid the virus you have to avoid gatherings, period.
DanG2006

Post by DanG2006 »

As to the mic situation there are several solutions to that. 1, change what type of mics that you use ie. Boundary mics, selling windscreens to singers, sanitizing them after use whether or not it's wipes or a uv light box.
wiseguy
Site Admin

Post by wiseguy »

The mic itself would have to be sanitized before and after every singer. It would be interesting to see how the 6-foot social distancing is achieved. Just face the unfortunate fact that karaoke in bars will not be safe until there is a vaccine against this virus.