zip file (1 song title) vs 2 files per song (2 song titles)

Discuss the MP3+G karaoke format.
How to Build a Home Karaoke System
MusicMason2020

zip file (1 song title) vs 2 files per song (2 song titles)

Post by MusicMason2020 »

I an brand new to this forum and I hope I can explain this, without too much confusion. I have been a DJ for over 25 years in the northeast and just moved to Florida. My friend would like to try doing Karaoke here in Florida. I said I would help organize his music library that was given to him. He is my problem. On his hard drive, some songs have 2 files associated with them. Maybe one for music and one for lyrics. Then there are other songs that have 1 file associated with them. From what I have read, those are zipped files. 1] does this make a difference trying to organize them ? 2] should the all be zipped ? When I organize my MP3, I can list them alphabetically by song title or artist..and even put them in folders.
So trying understand the files, will help us. Dont even get me started on software choices..thats for another day. Thank you all in advance for any help you can provide.

wiseguy
Site Admin

Re: zip file (1 song title) vs 2 files per song (2 song titles)

Post by wiseguy »

What you have are MP3+G song files. Each MP3+G song contains two files, one .cdg and one .mp3. These two files are often zipped together and are known as "karaoke zips". Most software karaoke players will play them in both the two file and zip file formats. Organizing the songs in the single zip file format is simpler. For this reason I recommend that you convert all the two file songs to zip files.

There is a freeware program called MP3+G Toolz that is designed to do this plus other useful things.
How to Build a Home Karaoke System