Active anyone???

Your comments, questions, or opinions on any karaoke related hardware.
How to Build a Home Karaoke System
letitrip

Active anyone???

Post by letitrip »

I'm just curious what the opinions are here on Active versus Passive speakers. Is anyone here, other than me, using an active setup? We chose to go with Active speakers for two reasons, sound quality and flexibility. I like the idea of having a balanced (i.e. XLR Cable) signal all the way to the speaker as it allows us to worry less about potential sources of interference giving us more flexibility in speaker placement. We also really liked the flexibility of being able to simply daisy chain additional mains/subs/whatever in the event we need to fill a larger space. Going with actives also allowed us to significantly shrink our overall rig size since we can use a smaller rack since we're not using a powered mixer.

Now I've heard people complain that the power amps in active setups tend to be less dependable. Not sure how true that is.

Has anyone here been through this consideration or do most just use powered mixers running right out to their mains?

Let It Rip Karaoke
DJ Tony
http://www.letitripkaraoke.com
Marlena

Post by Marlena »

Wow for me that was almost all in french... i'm not a technical person. i run A completely peavey system. i use the Xr800 F directly to my speakers , they aren't powered. but i hear power speakers are not good for karaoke.

Marlena