Gemini equipment

Your comments, questions, or opinions on any karaoke related hardware.
Unlimited MP3+G Downloads
Shooter13

Gemini equipment

Post by Shooter13 »

New person here. Just starting out and researching all the stuff out there. Looking to buy as much used equipment as I can. I have seen a lot of their stuff on ebay. Do they make decent equipment?

DanG2006

Re: Gemini equipment

Post by DanG2006 »

Shooter13 wrote:New person here. Just starting out and researching all the stuff out there. Looking to buy as much used equipment as I can. I have seen a lot of their stuff on ebay. Do they make decent equipment?
Gemini is pretty much low budget equipment and while I believe the higher the price isn't always better, I would consider Pyle stuff before Gemini.
How to Build a Home Karaoke System
wiseguy
Site Admin

Post by wiseguy »

I agree with DanG2006 that Gemini is a lesser quality brand name and the reason that you are probably finding low prices for their products. Aside of karaoke discs, I would stay away from used equipment. There will usually be no warranty which is not good at all.
Shooter13

Post by Shooter13 »

Alright. Thanks for the info. i figured the reason i saw it so low was that it must stink.
Bigdog

Post by Bigdog »

I bought an entire sound system used, at the music store where I bought my original systems. He sold it new to some other KJ. That didn't know how to do quality karaoke and went under. It was almost exactly the same as the stuff he sold me new. I got a really good deal on it. Even got the entire Pioneer laser set with it.

At a music store you can see it and hear it. On Ebay you hear nothing..... :wink:
Bigdog

Post by Bigdog »

I just heard this story last night. A girl that's fairly new to KJing comes to a few of my shows. We had a discussion about her cordless microphones. She went to the music store ( not the one I buy at) and told them she wanted some decent microphones for karaoke. They kept showing her the cheapest ones they had and told her this is all you need for karaoke with all the drunks handling them. She had a lot of interference problems and had to hook up the corded ones.

The problem is she kept telling them she wanted better ones and they wouldn't sell them to her. Now she's mad. I told her to talk to one of the guys I know that works there and try to get them exchanged.

The "Goog Enough For Karaoke Syndrome" strikes again. It's no wonder KJs end up with crappy systems. Most of the music stores want to deal with real musicians and they think anything else is not like a musician.

I have heard many excellent "karaoke only" singers that would put most local band singers to shame.

So if you plan on going to a music store to buy a PA system, make sure you talk to a salesperson that doesn't have their nose up in the air about "Real instrument playing musicians are the only ones worth anything" attitude.

This is what I mean when I say karaoke should be treated as a viable form of entertainment just like any other one. KJs that don't treat their business as such, will lose out in the end.

We are still fighting that mentality. If we don't try to change and promote it as a unique solid form of entertainment, who will?
letitrip

Post by letitrip »

Back to the topic at hand (and I'll tie this into the good point that bigdog makes), Gemini is crap. I believe that is a Radio Shack brand if I'm not mistaken. They are a very cheap brand and it is very clear in the quality. Those mics probably wouldn't sound much better than the one you get with an all-in-one karaoke system.

If you're gonna do this, please do it right. Spend some money and get good equipment. As bigdog says, don't get sucked into thinking that Karaoke can be done with lesser equipment. Bands can be done with lesser equipment too, but in both cases it shows and will affect your bookings. The sound of your equipment is the first thing guests will notice about you (before even the number of songs in your book). So make a good first impression by having a quality sound.
Let It Rip Karaoke
DJ Tony
http://www.letitripkaraoke.com
Shooter13

Post by Shooter13 »

I ended up not going with Gemini as my equipment is in aanother thread. I did buy a Gemini powered speaker to use as a monitor but I bought knowing that if I didn't like it, my brother in law said he would buy it for cost from me for his band to use as a monitor. Well. It worked for 10 minutes before blowing its input fuse. What a hunk of junk.