Karaoke Song list order

Anything that doesn't fit in another category.
Bigdog

Post by Bigdog »

We were trying top look for a newer song last night and had trouble finding it because....it had the word "the" in the title. It was "The Last Something.....

I was looking under Last..

We did find it because he knew the Artist.

I am going to fix every song in the book that has "the" as the first word. I will put the word "The" at the end with an (, The)

wyndy

Post by wyndy »

Big Dog

Songs, books, movies and anything else that has "the" at the beginning of the title are problematic. In karaoke, there is the availability of an artist's catalog to minimize confusion.

While you may want to change your catalog, I assure that you will not eliminate the confusion in doing so. And, from years of creating data bases, I believe you're best off leaving things the way they are. You'll do a lot of work to re-sort the "the's", and you won't derive any benefit from doing so!

Suppose someone is looking for THE TWIST, THE ROSE, THE LADY IS A TRAMP, THE DANCE, THE FIREMAN, THE BEAT GOES ON, THE IN CROWD, or THE GAMBLER, as a few examples. While you'll know where they're cataloged, and your regulars will know where to look, someone new to your show will most likely begin looking under "the". I would think it's good to make newer people comfortable as quickly as possible. The regulars will already have a good deal of your catalog memorized, and they pretty much know what they want to sing.

So while you rightfully find fault with your current methodology, changing it will not provide any better results, IMHO. I think what you have now is the lesser problematic of two troublesome approaches!
Unlimited MP3+G Downloads