Best Dual Wireless Microphones

Your comments, questions, or opinions on any karaoke related hardware.
Shooter13

Post by Shooter13 »

the Hisonic mics I have have adjustable freqs

letitrip

Re: Best Dual Wireless Microphones

Post by letitrip »

prefab63 wrote:Looking to go wireless. Any ideas? I want a dual system, VHF seems to be unreliable where I am so thinking UHF. I've seen UHF systems on Ebay for as little as $70 to $1000. My concern is of course, people dropping them etc. so I want to keep the costs low for replacement reasons but still have something which is usable. Any thoughts?
Well I don't know if this will be helpful or not, but you have some of the same concerns we did when we were looking at mics. We designed our entire system around top quality sound. We also knew we wanted to go completely wireless, being former Karaoke fanatics neither I nor my business partner cared much for having a leash. The problem was how to balance that with the cost especially when you consider drunks will be holding onto these things and dropping them all over.

We ended up going with a lower cost solution (probably the lowest cost when it comes to wireless). We bought the Vocopro UHF-5800. It gave us 4 wireless mics with four seperate outputs (allowing us to control them individually at the mixer). The radio quality is great, we have not run into an interference problem yet. The mics themselves are very rugged, almost like they were designed to be dropped (and they have been dropped, believe me). Also the 1U rack mountable receiver for all four mics was a nice space saving and convenience option.

Of course about sound, are they the best in the market. No. I'd rather have a Shure any day of the week, but these mics really do hold their own. The pickup pattern isn't quite as tight as I'd like it to be but in a Karaoke setting with no backline sound sources, it's not a big deal. Vocal representation is solid throughout the vocal range, I've not found any true dead areas. I've even been able to successfully use these mics for both ambient sound (crowd noise at a concert) and to mic up my guitar amp.

Bang for the buck, IMO these are it. The sound quality is good, the radio quality is great, the convienence is awesome and if some dope manages to drop and break one, they're cheap enough to replace.
Let It Rip Karaoke
DJ Tony
http://www.letitripkaraoke.com
How to Build a Home Karaoke System
Bigdog

Post by Bigdog »

What is the range of those mikes?

Mine are 1000-1500 feet.

Something else to consider. I have people singing from anywhere in the bar. They are still somewhat of a line-of-site microphone. Meaning if someone is behind the bar and they hold the microphone behind someone or several people get in between them and the receivere they might not work as good as they should. The signal could be blocked by the bodies.

Having two channel receivers will eliminate that problem.
letitrip

Post by letitrip »

BD, I haven't run into a line of site problem yet. We play at a bar in Eagle, WI that's about 150-200 feet from the stage where we setup to the front door. I've been able to go out the front door and sing on the sidewalk (yes I've actually done this, but that's a long story for a different thread) and had no problems. So that includes going through the entire bar, a brick wall and all the other interference in the building from the front of the bar to the back where the stage is.

As far as max effective range, I have no clue, haven't had the opportunity to test them. However since we're not playing at an ampetheater where I need a 1500 foot coverage, I'm not too concerned.

I agree there are better mics on the market, no doubt. But again it was replacement cost vs. convenience vs. quality. We've gotten substantial quality out of this rig without having to be constantly paranoid about what the guests are doing when they walk around the bar with our Microphones. Makes the KJ experience a lot more fun if you don't have to feel like you're constantly babysitting.
Let It Rip Karaoke
DJ Tony
http://www.letitripkaraoke.com
Shooter13

Post by Shooter13 »

I have some of the Hisonic mics. They are ok. A lot of breath popping with them. most of that I can eliminate with electronics but not all. For the most part they seem to be fine. We will se how they last after being dropped a few times.
Bigdog

Post by Bigdog »

You maybe able to EQ out some of the popping, but do you use foam covers to help eliminate it. That's why they made them. I always use them. It will also help protect them if (when) they get dropped.
Shooter13

Post by Shooter13 »

No I haven't put covers on them. I'll give that a try. Thanks!
wyndy

Post by wyndy »

I am also looking into wireless equipment at this time.

Two KJ's I know highly recommend Vocopro mics. I've used 'em; they're very good.

I, am still considering, however, Hisonics

Has anyone any info regarding Hisonics as to how much, if any noise, "hand holding" can generate? The Vocopros seem to be completely quiet when I hold one.
Shooter13

Post by Shooter13 »

They sound much better with the cover. D'uh!!!! Stupid me.

The hisonics are nice. I don't know how well they will last. We will see. Sound good hand held.
bourbenz

you get what you pay for.

Post by bourbenz »

as far as mikes go you do get what you pay for. That being said this is only karaoke and most of these mikes wont be doing double duty as music mikes. Lower quality mikes are usually a lot hotter than a quality one and will pick up elcetric interfence due to less shielding. In my opinion after mixing shows for years in everything from punk rock to bluegrass and using every mike from condensor to cardoid. The best bang for your buck when it comes to sound and reliabilty is a sure sm 58. I've seen these things used for everything but a shingle hammer and still work. No they are not the best sounding mike but man they are definately the most reliable.
DanG2006

Post by DanG2006 »

I just got a Sennheiser UHF wireless mike and hope to test drive it fairly soon. Just don't have anything lined up right now as I am still trying to get a big section of my music straightened out as I am converting over to Hoster since I have decided that having a software solution to multiplex and a decent keychanger outweighs having both the kj and dj databases being as easily searched for as you would search the karaoke for.
The microphone lists for $499 but I got it for $149.
Royearl

Wireless Mics

Post by Royearl »

Thinking of a wireless mic for simple home system. Just looking for some general thoughts on the following product. I am looking at an eBay bid on HISONIC HS909 HQ VHF DUAL WIRELESS SYSTEM
2 VHF HANDHELD MICROPHONES & A 2 CHANNEL VHF RECEIVER:
Here are the Specifications: Carrier Frequency: VHF 220- 260MHz Frequency Steadying: Less Than 0.002% Modulation Mode: FM Audio Dynamic Range: Over 90 dB Audio Frequency Response: 50Hz ? 15KHz +- 3dB Audio Output level: 0- 300mV S/N ratio: Over 70 dB T.H.D. Less than 0.5% Sensitivity: 3uV for 30dB S/N F/N ratio: over 80 dB P/N ratio: over 80 dB Output power: 10mW Receiver Power Source: AC adapter AC 110V 60Hz (included) Range: 300 Feet Microphones Power Source: 9V battery for each (included)
DanG2006

Post by DanG2006 »

it is the step below the 910's. I owned two sets before they were stolen from me by former roommates and I thought they sounded great.