CAVS System...Is it Dependable enough?

Your comments, questions, or opinions on any karaoke related hardware.
How to Build a Home Karaoke System
fong

CAVS System...Is it Dependable enough?

Post by fong »

Well guys I must say that I am enticed to buy the CAVS System, and there's a few reasons why.

1. No DISC
2. More Songs (Preloaded)
3. Less Hassle for queing NEXT Singer
4. Decent Price $4000K-$6000 Range w/ Everything Included JBL/EV Speakers....

Am I missing out something here? Reason why I'm asking is because I've gotten a lot of feedback from some of the veterans in the business, and most either don't know much about it or don't like it.

Some have said that its not dependable and has BAD customer Service to top it off....

However, I'm really liking the system, just due mainly to convenience and pricings. What are your thoughts on the CAVS Systems? What are the Pro's and Con's?

And Is it really what its HYPED up tp BE?

THanks in Advance guys... :D

Bigdog

Post by Bigdog »

You are right about all of the positive conveniences listed. Just like computer KJs (Laptops & rackmounts) enjoy.

I do not have a Cavs and know nothing about them first hand.

But after reading about many complaints from people on different forums, about music and lyrics not being in sync sometimes and poor customer service. I would run the other way.

For $6,000 you can buy a laptop and a decent disc music library and programs to run and convert them to the hard drive.
fong

Post by fong »

BigDog,

First off, just wanted to say thanks for all your help, normally newbies don't get too much respect in forums, but this one's different. Your always one of the first to reply, so again thanks for your time and information, it has been quite helpful. :D

Okay so, Computer System?

Pretty much buy the Discs, right? (CDG's)

Download to Laptop and have a 1 for 1, right?

And then run the Shows from the Laptop with a karaoke DJ software?

If so, what Software is recommended? And how much music can I get with about $2000.00 Dollars?

And what do you guys think about the Holster Laptops? Am I better just running it with a DELL?
letitrip

Post by letitrip »

OK first off Fong, I think you know my opinion of CAVS. The devices in my experience are not well built. My 203G appears to be nothing more than a retro-fitted DVD player. It failed right out of the gates at the very first show. Then there's CAVS customer service. They've had my 203G in for repair for the better of 3 months now and it is not repaired or replaced. They rarely call with updates, when I call them it's "Leave a message". They are slow to answer their emails and their policy and licensing for their software sucks.

Ok now that I'm done complaining about CAVS, how do you take advantage of the SCDG format. Well you can buy software from cavs that will play SCDG's on a computer using any DVD drive. This works well but has very few features. You can also purchase software from the makers of RoxBox which will rip the songs from SCDG's into MP3+G format. Not sure of the legality of this but CAVS does have the info in their own forum. Hoster is probably the cadillac of the KJ software, however their are other options. RoxBox does a pretty decent job although I personally had some trouble with it. The AutoKDJ plugin for winamp has some good features and it is free.

To me the MTI laptops are overpriced. You don't need a ruggedized laptop as long as you're careful with yours (carry it in a case, don't toss it around, etc). A Dell would be fine. The one problem I've run into with laptops is the noise from the hard drive coming through the sound card. Depends on the design of the latop and their are ways around it (USB sound adapter).
Let It Rip Karaoke
DJ Tony
http://www.letitripkaraoke.com
fong

Post by fong »

Good to see you on this thread Kingof Karaoke...

Great info but what is SCDG?
DanG2006

Post by DanG2006 »

SCDG is Super CDG which is a new format of disc to hold close to 1000 songs on one disc. I shy away from it because I would then have to buy a special player, none of them have proven well built, or buy RoxBox's convertor. As for licensing, I would worry about it even if it was still in SCDG format as Cavs has been known for not keeping up with licenses.
fong

Post by fong »

Alright well what you know!!! Learned a few new stuff TODAY!!! Keep comming with it guys... :D
Bigdog

Post by Bigdog »

You're welcome.....

I just bought 2 new Dells laptops. One is going to be a backup. I do not trust doing a professional show, 5 nights a week to one computer. Everything is backed up. Even the video converter. I want to make sure that I come home with a pocket full of money every night...I do not want to look like an unprofessional jerk...

Switching over to computer is costing me over $6,000. We are talking almost two of everything. It's just the way I do things.

I have a geek helping me to do all the needed stuff. He has done all of the investigation for me. I just buy what he recommends. And pay him for his time.

KJ Rip & Zip is a free program. It works real sweet. I'm not sure how you name the tracks yet. But I know the program works with the KJPro song book software. Soon very soon.

For $1000 you can get the DK Millenium set. 115 discs. I like the DK quality. Over 2000 songs. Watch the different karaoke companies for sales. Just Google the word karaoke and they all pop up. How up-to-date do you want you song book??? I buy the POP hits POP and Country discs everymonth. Just to keep up-to-date. You can find the older discs on sale ($10) too. Check the sites.

The type of music you have & play determines the type of crowd you will get. Who do you want to have for a crowd??? Roudy music begets roudy crowds. It's why I have edited my song books. I do not have the major swearing songs. I do not have many hip hop or rap songs or violence and sexual songs. A quality selection brings in a quality crowd. And it gives you a quality reputation... Some on here do not believe me. They think they should let anything go at their shows. You decide, you have to pay your bills, nobody else.....I don't attract the screaming drunks...I attract the quality singers...People you could invite to your house and not have to worry about drunken brawls breaking out.....
fong

Post by fong »

Thanks BigDog, so who is this computer "Geek"??? Can you put me in touch with him?
Bigdog

Post by Bigdog »

Sorry...He wouldn't like it....But there are many out there...
LoneWolf

Post by LoneWolf »

We have an hp pavilion laptop and a toshiba satellite laptop, and they work great for the cost. My favorite thing is to use an external hard drive where I keep all the songs and related software such as the hosting program. This seems to eliminate any hard drive noise coming through. I have personally quit buying cds and converting them unless absolutely necessary and use tricerasoft to get all of our new stuff. We can pick the songs we want or need and if you buy them in blocks of 100 you can get them for $1 apiece. You don't even have to pick all the songs at once. Many of the cds I converted came over to the hard drive needing to be edited and we have spent many hours in the edit program. Very time consuming so when we found tricerasoft we were very pleased and their quality is very comparable to the chartbusters that we had to start with. Hope this helps a little.
"Come Sing with the Wolf!!"
smoky

Post by smoky »

I run the CAVS JB199 and I swear by it. I have also visited CAVS headquarters in Los Angeles and they are a first rate operation. Service response on the web is slow, thoough there are many knowledgable people who will help there besides CAVS. But telephone service is excellent. If they do not get to you on your initial call, they get back to you promptly. They also have software that allows them to operate your system over the Internet and fix problems.

The machine loads CD+Gs quickly and without effort. Just be sure you are using purchased copies of your own as your source, or like any digital configuration, you will get in trouble with the karaoke police.

Get the dual monitor configuration. It comes with very fast search software, and allows you to keep a rotation list, and post the next singer's name as an alert on the singer's screen.
DanG2006

Post by DanG2006 »

You can get all the things a Cavs unit has with a $399 desktop computer from Dell and software from free to $299 depending on what features you are looking for and which software carries those features, I have yet to find a software package that has all that I am looking for.
1:Autorotation so I can drop multiple songs for people at a time and still keep the same person from singing back to back songs unless nobody else is in the rotation. Also need it if I ever get singer kiosks working as then the singers themselves will be loading their songs into the que.(autokdj and Karaoke g-round has this)
2.Kiosk capability so I can become more envorementally friendly.
3. a key changer that changes key the second the keychange button is pressed. (MTU video Hoster has the best one of these)
4. Multiplex support (MTU Video Hoster again has the best one of these too)
5. DJ capability with a search engine simular to the karaoke (RoxBox comes the closest here)
6. dual video capability (hey finally one all of them have.)
Yes Big Dog I admit that I have yet to find the perfect software and I yearn for someone to put together a software package that contains everything I am looking for. Money isn't the object here as I would gladly pay what I have to have all of this. If I knew anything about how to program it, I'd create the software myself and wipe the boards with all the other competition.
fong

Post by fong »

THanks for all the help guys, reall appreciate it!!!