Newbie and have a few questions to get started

Your comments, questions, or opinions on any karaoke related hardware.
averagejoe

Newbie and have a few questions to get started

Post by averagejoe »

Hi all, found this wonderful forum while researching about karaoke. i'm looking to buy a karaoke system that can cater to my friends and family in a 2 bedroom apartment. i need opinions and advices about mixers/amps, players and speakers.

1. should i buy a mixer that has a built in amp or separately. i'm planning to buy 2 12" yamaha or JBL speakers so how much wattage of an amp should i buy?

2. and about karaoke players. should my phillips progressive scan dvd/divx/mp3/etc good enough to play the disc or buy a vocopro,audio200,etc karaoke players? what do you think about RSQ NEO players or such players like that?

3. i'm also planning on a home entertainment system, and gonna buy like a a/v receiver with speakers. can i setup 2 systems, 1 for watching movies and 1 for just karaoke? if not, do i really need a a/v receiver for a karaoke system?

i appreciate any advices or help!

AJ

DanG2006

Post by DanG2006 »

1&3: by all means get a real pa mixer/amp for karaoke. Don't hook it up to a home entertainment system as it isn't made for live vocals. it can handle the music but not the vocals. A good place to go is musician's friend as they have some sysytems in a low budget price range.
2:If your phillips can handle the cdg subcodes, it should be good enough for what you want to do.
I have heard nightmare stories of both VOcopro products and the neo players. Voco pro's quality leaves a lot to be desired and the neo's take forever to load. I'd look to ebay for a pioneer v-10 twin tray as these are the most durable of the players ever made. It is too bad they stopped making them. If you find one I'd go ahead and get a home system for the dvd player and hook up the karaoke stuff only when you are doing karaoke.
letitrip

Post by letitrip »

1. For what you're looking to do a Powered Mixer would be fine (I don't recommend them for the pro KJ). For the type of area you're looking to cover, I'd think you'd do fine with 250W/Channel.

2. I'm not big on the Neo players or the Vocopro players. Phillips is alright if as Dan pointed out it supports what you need. The Pioneer is a really nice model that would be very reliable IMO.

3. Don't use home audio equipment for Karaoke. Dan's points are spot on.
Let It Rip Karaoke
DJ Tony
http://www.letitripkaraoke.com
averagejoe

Post by averagejoe »

Dan and Letitrip, Thanks a bunch!
averagejoe

Post by averagejoe »

just want to post an update. bought a karaoke system consists of a pair of yamaha loud/stadium pa speakers(was going to buy JBL but too expensive), yamaha receiver, Hisonic powered mixer, Hisonic 8286 wireless/rechargeable VHF mics, and all region karaoke dvd,mp3,divx,ect. player. the system sounds great and having fun with friends and family with it. i bought the hisonic mics because i read that Dan gave good reviews about it. eventhough i didn't buy the HSC - 906 that you mentioned but the HSC 8286 works just as fine. so thanks a bunch guys (dan,letitrip) for the help!