dual graphics display card for my Dell Latitude D800 laptop

Your comments, questions, or opinions on any karaoke related hardware.
How to Build a Home Karaoke System
Diane

dual graphics display card for my Dell Latitude D800 laptop

Post by Diane »

knock knock Anybody home?

Stuck on my endeavor to set up digital karaoke using my laptop for I am in a baffked state to find correct one compatible with my Dell D800. Contacted somebody some where in cyberspace . Have to know if his info is correct as I need to get this upand running and not going in circles with wrong info if you guys know what I mean :><)
what he said:

<<Since you already have the laptop, the video card you have is what you must use. Dell machines come with different options, so simply listing the model does not tell us what video card you have. If you have a "second output", you should see either an S-Video connector or a Dell Multimedia connection on one of the sides of the machine (simply look at the laptop). If it is the special Dell Connector then you either received the cable with your machine or call Dell to purchase the cable or atleast confirm the type of connector. Connect it with the appropriate cable to a TV, Projector, or second Display Monitor and configure your Dual Monitor under Windows then follow this FAQ under the Auto Detect:

http://www.tricerasoft.com/faq-vid.html>>

letitrip

Post by letitrip »

Yes that information is accurate. Laptops in general are very integrated devices with very little option for expansion. Most only provide the ability to expand memory and some include expansion for things like a bluetooth, modem or WiFi card. It is difficult if not impossible to upgrade any other board level components because they are pretty much integrated with the system board.

As far as your laptop, you'd need a more specific part number (on the label on the bottom of the unit) to find out exactly what video card you have. Looking for a second video connection (Yellow RCA plug, S-Video, or Dell Media connector) would be an easy way to see if your card supports it. The other way is to right click on your Windows Desktop and select Properties from the pop-up menu. Then click on the settings tab. If you see two displays in the picture (two blue boxes with the numbers 1 & 2 in them) then your PC is ready for multiple displays.

Hope that helps.
Let It Rip Karaoke
DJ Tony
http://www.letitripkaraoke.com
Diane

Post by Diane »

THANKS..tomorrow or next will look at laptop and try to figure this out.
Bigdog

Post by Bigdog »

The video card must have the extended desk top capability to put the karaoke screen on the bar TVs. My desktop computer doesn't have it.

If yours does not have the extended desktop ability, you could contact Dell support to see if you can buy a different video card that fits your motherboard and have it replaced.

You can also run video out from the monitor plug. But you still need the extended desktop feature first.
letitrip

Post by letitrip »

Um big dog, we're talking about a laptop here, there is no replacing the video card. What's on board is what she's got, period.
Let It Rip Karaoke
DJ Tony
http://www.letitripkaraoke.com
Diane

Post by Diane »

ooooooooo havent had time to get to laptop but HAVE to make time today. Have UGH feeling to even look. If it turns out my LAPTOP is not capable of multiple display....is there ANY other way to get around this??? as I have spent SO much money into my new club/bar and getting this laptop with backup harddrive etc etc...I am POOR no extra cash for a new computer...HMMMMmmmm only other computer I have is a DELL dimension DESKTOP that I use in my bar office...Is there ANY chance for using THAT PC?
I was an entertainer/pro singer/can play some piano....and joined our band recently til break up. I cant afford a KJ/DJ however have MUCH musical gear to play a large house and have ALL my gear in my bar/club set up...so with a set up for karaoke/DJ with preferred digital via PC I can do KJ/DJ anytime anynight...and this would put adrenalin into my new struggling biz...as everyone wants karaoke nights.
Bigdog

Post by Bigdog »

Having a regularly scheduled steady karaoke night is going to bring in more money than just doing it whenever you or a customer feels like doing it.

People need consistancy to remember the night and tell their friends..

Without the correct equipment/money to do quality karaoke, you are left with one option. Pay a good professional KJ to make the money for you. Get them to play at a reduced rate until the crowd builds. Most of them will work with you if you're willing to work with them. After the crowds get bigger pay the rate they normally charge.

Do you want to make money and keep the crowds coming back? Somethings are better left to experts in their field. In today's business climate, especially bars, you don't have a lot of time or money to be wasting trying to do all the jobs.

It would be nice if we could all be the masters of everything, but in the real world it doesn't happen.

Hire a steady KJ to do the steady karaoke night and you schedule your/the bands for a regular band night.

Remember karaoke can make money on any night of the week. Not just Friday or Saturday. Have bands or Djs on the weekends and do karaoke on an off night. The more good nights you have per week, the more money you will make.

Pay a KJ for now. You may find it to be the best thing you ever did.