trying to play catch up

Discuss CD+G's, VCD's, song book creators, and any other karaoke related software.
mwadeson

trying to play catch up

Post by mwadeson »

I have a friend who wants to start his own system so he bough out a company that has not updated any songs since 2005. Alot of sweet georgia brown and other misc. He is wondering if there is a good choice for going back that far and getting like top hits monthly for all genres off music he wants mostly country and then some hip hop. either way i said i would try to find out. so if you can help me i would appreciate it. Thank you in advance

letitrip

Post by letitrip »

I think most of the major manufacturers keep their monthly editions available indefinitely. Charbusters, Sound Choice and Star Disc are three that I know for sure have a monthly release schedule and you should be able to find them at a place like Karaoke Warehouse.
Let It Rip Karaoke
DJ Tony
http://www.letitripkaraoke.com
How to Build a Home Karaoke System
Bigdog

Post by Bigdog »

The karaoke companies buy the rights to use a song for "X" amount of copies. After they reach that number they must re-buy the rights again. Many companies do not re-new these rights opting to spend the money on maybe a more popular song. So your statement about discs being available till the end of time is wrong. Many of them, once they are gone-they are gone forever. (Legally)

There are many songs that I am looking for and can not find because they are out of print, for good. So unless another company wants to buy the rights for that song I'm out of luck. The more popular hard to find songs/discs get bought up quickly. I am waiting for a back ordered disc right now. It's been a month already.

Your friend, at this stage of the game can try to find songs by getting custom made discs, which he can pick the songs he wants or he will have to buy some dics sets like the different "Bricks" from Sound Choice. The older Pop Hit Monthly Pop/Country discs can be found on sale very cheap.

I have also found some very old out-of-print discs on the very obscure karaoke company sites. They buy up the odds and ends. You must do a lot of searching. Look at all the karaoke company sites for their closeout discs.
wiseguy
Site Admin

Post by wiseguy »

Bigdog wrote:There are many songs that I am looking for and can not find because they are out of print, for good. So unless another company wants to buy the rights for that song I'm out of luck. The more popular hard to find songs/discs get bought up quickly. I am waiting for a back ordered disc right now. It's been a month already.
An example of hard to find karaoke discs are the original DK 1-99 series. I bought this series when (actually as) they were first released. Now it is difficult to find original replacement discs.

Fortunately, over the past 16+ years I have purchased just about every English language karaoke disc released. Some new and some from others selling off their collections. Many of them would be very hard to replace today.
Bigdog

Post by Bigdog »

DK has reworked that collection a few times with different set names so the majority of their songs are still available. They put the songs together grouped differently by style as did Pioneer on their CD+Gs.

The best advice is to buy the discs you want as soon as you see them regardless of the price because sometimes they get recalled and songs have to be replaced for legal reasons. Hence disc numbers with "R" designation beside them in KJPro. Means the disc was put out, recalled, revised and redistributed.

Pioneer did it on their laser sets also. On the release of the second updated version that had the guide vocals on them, some very popular songs were replaced with Public Domain gosple songs. That pissed a few people (KJs) that waited too long. As soon as I found out a new one was released I bought it.

Nobody likes to pay full price for discs but if you want to guarantee you get the hot songs, don't delay thinking you will get a bargin. All you will get is disappointed. It sucks, but that's business.