CDGs

Discuss CD+G's, VCD's, song book creators, and any other karaoke related software.
How to Build a Home Karaoke System
Babs

CDGs

Post by Babs »

I would like to buy a new complete set of CDGs.
I prefer Sound Choice
My thought was just to order all of them through their website, but when I looked at their packages I was a bit confused.
They have a foundation set which has 30 discs. In my mind that is barely anything.
So obviously I need to buy more than that.
I don't want to buy the wrong thing and end up with a bunch of duplicate songs.
What do you suggest I do?

wiseguy
Site Admin

Post by wiseguy »

Avoiding duplicate songs is the hardest part of buying karaoke discs. It is impossible to completely eliminate duplicates but you can keep them to a minimum by doing your homework and a little savvy shopping.

Though most professional KJ's would agree that Sound Choice discs are probably the best around it doesn't mean that some of the other brands are not just as good. I personally prefer DK, Top Hits Monthly, and StarDisc. The Sound Choice foundation sets contain many popular song titles, but they are expensive, and if you ever need to replace one of the discs in a set, you will pay the premium price of a new disc.

My suggestion for building a CDG collection would be to acquire the original DK Karaoke 1 thru 99 set. They are very high quality and contain many of the old standards that are frequently requested. Of the over 1,000 discs in my collection the DK's are by far the most played. These are out of print but can still be found with a little searching.

Next I would acquire the catalogs from Chartbusters, Sunfly, StarDisc, and Top Hits Monthly. I would compare their package deals and single discs to build up a collection of newer music while trying to avoid a lot of duplicate songs. Keep in mind the type of establishments and events that you will be performing at. There's no sense in buying a lot of hard rock or hip hop music if you will basically be targeting older crowds and/or country music crowds.

You will find links to the major karaoke CDG manufacturers on my Karaoke Disc Information page.
Babs

Post by Babs »

Wise guy is this the starter set you are referring to? Does the price sound right to you?

Karaoke CDG Ultimate Starter Set DK MILLENIUM 115 Discs
OVER 1700 SONGS-NO REPEATS retail over 1500.00

$1,299.00
wiseguy
Site Admin

Post by wiseguy »

Wise guy is this the starter set you are referring to? Does the price sound right to you?

Karaoke CDG Ultimate Starter Set DK MILLENNIUM 115 Discs
OVER 1700 SONGS-NO REPEATS retail over 1500.00
No, the Millennium series is the second generation of DK discs. I was referring to the original DK that were a total of 99 discs. This site http://www.karaokewow.com/CDGSoftware/dkkaraoke.html has them although it appears that they don't have all the discs in the series.