Music Volume Complaint

How would you handle these situations?
Unlimited MP3+G Downloads
wiseguy
Site Admin

Music Volume Complaint

Post by wiseguy »

You have a younger crowd with plenty of singers and you are playing the music rather loud. Everyone seems to be having a great time with the exception of an older couple that keep complaining that you need to turn the music down. What would you do?

kjgreg

Post by kjgreg »

I rely on the owner or bartenders to monitor the volume. If they feel that I am getting a little loud than thay will let me know to adjust it down. One of the first nights we opperated at our current bar we had a older couple complain. I found this out a few days latter. If the majority of the bar is alright with the volume than live with it or leave.
Full House Entertainment

Post by Full House Entertainment »

We ran into this once, years ago... It was actually the bar owner in his 80's or 90's and he sat right in front of the speakers! I told him that there were no complaints from the crowd and suggested he move to another table farther from the speakers. He kept complaining and I gave him two options: 1) He could move further from the speakers or.. 2) We could pack up and leave, we would not compromise the entertainment of the guests for one complaint when the person complaining was right in front of the speakers!! He stayed where he was and next week reserved a table further from the speakers....

Susie :)
You do it in the shower,
You do it in the car,
Come do it with us,
And be a star.....

Karaoke with Full House Entertainment
karyoker

Post by karyoker »

We have one venue where it is a small bar The bar itself is u shaped and seperates one side from the other.. Over the bar is the thing hanging down from the ceiling in the same shape of the bar.. It is like a cabinet style and acts like a sound baffle... On that side of the bar the volume is less spl by a bunch.... It wouldnt take much to build the same thing and put regular insulation on it...
Full House Entertainment

Post by Full House Entertainment »

karyoker,

It sounds like you are describing one of the bars we do on Saturday night... The tables and karaoke are on one side of the bar and two pool tables on the other. We have one speaker that points across the bar but the other one is stopped by the hanging down thing... It works really well at that bar.

Susie :)
You do it in the shower,
You do it in the car,
Come do it with us,
And be a star.....

Karaoke with Full House Entertainment
Bigdog

Post by Bigdog »

Tell them it won't be too loud in their livingroom. :lol:
Sheera

Post by Sheera »

We had this happen to us. The bar owner wants older, milder, quieter venue but that just ain't our crowd. She kept complaining it was too loud, so I bought a tshirt and wear it in there occasionally that says "If my music is too loud, your too old!" She doesn't complain anymore. :D
Bigdog

Post by Bigdog »

Someone old always wants to sit right in front of the speakers and complain about the noise all night. They never sit in the back of the bar.

Move, trust me it gets quieter in the back of the bar.

Singers need it loud. Nobody can whisper a song and sound any good. There is nothing wrong with an older mellow crowd. But you need to cash register to be making a loud noise too. If the singers can't hear themselves good enough they will go somewhere where they can. Ask her if that works better?

2 weeks ago some nonsinger came up and tell me, they can't hear it very well in the back of the bar. I told her if I turn it up any louder the front windows will blow out and everyone will be back there.
Sheera

Post by Sheera »

Yep, she sure likes the money we bring in with the younger set. They drink hard, sing hard and then they're gone, but they sure spend some money before they go! I'm supposed to be one those "older" folks, but hey I'm a ToyRUs Kid. I ain't ever gonna grow up. I like to sing and have fun, occasionally knock back a brew and I like to watch other people sing and have fun too. I think the younger crowd keeps me young by keeping me up to date on the music they listen to and what they've got going on. I don't like everything they listen to and sometimes I just won't play or get what they ask for it if it's too vulgar or if I think it's just too over the top, but for the most part I like kickin it with them on the weekends and they apparently dig what I'm doing too so it all works out. Everybody's happy and we're making some money doin' it. How sweet can life get? :D
mwadeson

Post by mwadeson »

i had a bar with two owners. the owner who was there most of the time would want us to keep it mellow until 10:00-10:30 then turn it up. She would leave we would turn it up the bartenders would tell us to turn it up more then the other bar owner would come in and tell us it is too loud so we would turn it down the the patrons would complain that we cant keep the volume the same level so finally i pulled both owners and the head bartender aside and said i will adjust the volume to the crowd and no one else or i will leave nothing was said for months and then one night both owners were there and started in with me on the volume again one wants it down one wants it up. i looked at them and anounced last song at 10:35 and have never been back. They have called multiple times and i have told them double my normal price and still have decided no it is not worth my reputation. What was once the biggest karaoke bars around no longer has karaoke because no one will play for them.
Sheera

Post by Sheera »

Yep, I know of a local VFW going through the same woes right now. They've been through 3 karaoke people in a year and are looking for somebody new now. They offered me a job and I turned it down flat. Told 'em they'd throw me out after about 15 minutes. 8)
The lady that's doing it now is new at it and is ready to pull her hair out. I told her the best thing she could do is to gather up all the Indians and tell 'em they gotta elect ONE Chief for her to deal with because right now they got a whole lotta Chiefs and about 2 Indians in the entire place!