To Sing or Not To Sing

Anything that doesn't fit in another category.
How to Build a Home Karaoke System
Heidi

To Sing or Not To Sing

Post by Heidi »

How do you handle drunk customers?

I have found that it's a bad idea to try and argue.

wiseguy
Site Admin

Post by wiseguy »

I agree completely Heidi. You should never argue with a drunk person. The way I handle the situation depends on their disposition. If they are really drunk, but are not abusive, and really want to sing, I will usually let them use a cheap wired mic that I keep connected for just this purpose (don't want them dropping an expensive mic). If they are belligerent and demanding I will ask the management to expel them. As a KJ it is not your job to control the behavior of the patrons of someone else's establishment.
paula

Post by paula »

i agree with you wiseguy i have found that you have to stand frim with a drunk and in a way with it not sounding like you are argueing with them and if that dont work i will expel them its alot cheaper to expel then replace equiment you are hired to do a job but you have to take control of that job in a professional way :)
Bigdog

Post by Bigdog »

If they are visibly drunk, how did they get that way? That means the bartender is serving too much and not paying attention. That makes it the bar owners problem and liability.

On my Wednesday job the bartenders rotate every other week. Every night the young hotty works there is more trouble than when the older one works. She had some trouble at the end of the night. I told her it's either the friends she knows, the people she attracts or she serves too much. You just can't keep serving and only thinking about your tips. The bar liability has to come into play. It can also fall on her shoulders if one of them gets in a car wreck because they are drunk. She is the last one to serve them, she's guilty and liable. And has put the bar owner's livelihood in jeapardy. For a few dollars in tips.

You should be able to make the decision about who handles your equipment. Too drunk to stand up, you're too drunk to hold my microphone. Call a cab...
Marlena

Post by Marlena »

Too drunk to read, too drunk to sing.. and I live by it.

The bar is responsible for maintaining a controlled crowd if 1 is out of hand then it is their job to fix it. I do let them know when i have a problem and they are very quick to fix it.

Marlena
Bigdog

Post by Bigdog »

What do you do if the bar owner or the bartender doesn't want to handle the problem, and Mr. Drunk is still there bothering you.
Marlena

Post by Marlena »

Then I give the bar owner/ bar tender an altimatum... he leaves or I do... right in the middle of my show... i will pack up and go... guess what? it's only happened once where i actually did.. and he next day the bar was calling me to come back and I never had another problem like it again.
Bigdog

Post by Bigdog »

I totally agree and I have used this method many times and I won't hestitate to use it again. My safety is worth more money than you are paying me.

In 5 minutes one of us will leave and one of use will stay, you pick and the clock is ticking.

Do you want the guy that's making you thousands of dollars a year or the guy that's going to cost you thousands? I really don't care what you decide.

But, It's a business decision you can't afford to screw up. :)
Alkmenes

Post by Alkmenes »

In some places I play happens a strange fact:
There's almost always a drunk guy, but is not aggressive. Ho only wants to know to play ONE or TWO songs (always the same, so it doesn't matter if he reads or not the screen, really! :lol: )

But, in any case, I wait for the "right time" to make some "noise", I don't konw how to say and so I'm trying to explain what I mean.

When I manage the event, try to form a playlist in which there are two or three songs relatively slow. And then I let "Mr. Drunk" to play one of his ones, of course the whole people will hand this as a joke, not really as a problem. But I know that is a particular condition: only ONE drunk guy, always the same person, always the same songs.. and this become a "colour" event, not so difficult to go through.

But sometimes, to hand it as a gaga could be the right way, or is it better to expel this person?
:shock:
From Italy, with a song ;)