Building a new music collection

Anything that doesn't fit in another category.
Unlimited MP3+G Downloads
letitrip

Post by letitrip »

I work with a band, so in general I have a very serious problem with people who steal music (and yes file sharing MP3's is STEALING music). You wouldn't walk into a store and take a CD off the shelf and walk out with it, would you? So why is it ok for you to do the same thing but only in the digital realm.

Now I will say this. I think the Karaoke manufacturers attempt to exploit the copyright laws well beyond their intent. If you ask SoundChoice, Charbutster or the others they'll all tell you it's illegal to make backup copies of your discs. I disagree with this completely and I don't believe it would stand up in court. I also think the manufacturers to take advantage of the limited number of choices available and as you said, they pile a disc full of worthless songs along with one or two big hits and then charge you more than a typical CD from the orgininal artist would cost.

Now that said, welcome to a free market society my friends. Supply and demand, they have the supply and as long as there's demand for what they're selling, they'll keep selling it the way it is. This doesn't make it right to go out and steal music. These manufacturers have to pay musicians to record the tracks, pay a mechanical license to the copyright holder of the original song, they pay manufacturing costs for the creation of the physical media and they have to pay royalties as well.

So no, contrary to your claim, I don't follow the rules because I'm afraid of getting caught, I follow the rules because it is what is right. I wouldn't want someone stealing my original works (whether they be music, photographs, software, whatever) so I certainly wouldn't do that to someone else. And the argument that these guys already have a lot of money so what does it hurt, doesn't hold any moral or logical ground either.

Finally, for the record, I do strongly disagree with the tactics the RIAA has used to go after offenders (especially targeting individuals and young children) and I think they have done much to bring this on themselves (the long refusal to go digital or offer individual tracks for sale). However, that still does not make it right or even OK to steal.

Let It Rip Karaoke
DJ Tony
http://www.letitripkaraoke.com
DanG2006

Post by DanG2006 »

Never got a wrong song anywhere. but I guess I was lucky.
Marlena

Post by Marlena »

If i had to start over, what would i do?

Not Buy ANY Panorama Discs especially the THR or THRB Discs. (I have an entire year of them that i have never used). I wouldn't have bought that stupid Susan tedeschi disc and paid such a stupid price for it $70.00 CDN. I would have stayed away from LG and BS discs all together and as much as you all might disagree with me. I would have purchased every Madacy disc out there... very cheap and great quality. I really miss my one disc with "how you remind me & Get the party started" on it. (broke in a bar incident, haven't been able to find it anywhere, still have the broken copy in a ziplock baggie just in case I do find one, lol). Love the MM club packs, but with Madacy you get all the top hits and really no crap so wouldn't need them anymore. fill with SC or Pop Hits discs. BCY also like. the odd PARTY TYME disc as well for their funky remixes of stuff. (i'm all about the remixes & techno versions). My system would have also seen probably a few more Sunfly, and LOVE pioneer discs! NO chartbuster, NO Sweet georgia Brown NO all Hits discs. (i've long ago removed SGB and AH discs, from my collection, they now collect dust in my basement cold room lol)

I'd have focused more on artists then song titles... all those one hit wonders no one remembers anymore seem like a real waste of money to me now.
DanG2006

Post by DanG2006 »

For country, Chartbuster is hard to beat. Also I happen to use some all hits songs. One singer likes the All Hits version of Never Say Goodbye over Sound Choice for some reason. Oh and I like the All HIts version of Lights over Sound Choice's version as well.