Just getting started...recommendations?

Discuss CD+G's, VCD's, song book creators, and any other karaoke related software.
karaokebob13

Just getting started...recommendations?

Post by karaokebob13 »

Hello all,
I'm just getting starting in the karaoke business and I'm wondering what most KJ's are using out there. I looked at PCKJ, Siglos, etc. Are there any reasonable programs out there that you could recommend? Any help would be most appreciated. :roll:

Bigdog

Post by Bigdog »

You will get hundreds of suggestions on which program is best.

What do you want the program to do?

I all need is

1. Search for a song.

2. Queue the song.

3. Start the song.

4. Stop, Pause and restart.

5. Key change.

6. Keep a simple rotation.

I use Sax & Dottys for that.

If you want to manage a singer's song requests from days past & a bunch of other stuff then you may need a different program.
Unlimited MP3+G Downloads
karaokebob13

Post by karaokebob13 »

Thanks Bigdog,
Right now I'm toying around with winamp with the karaoke plugin. It seems to do all the features you've listed above. As far as I can tell, it's free. :) Is it too good to be true or shoul I look into this "JustKaraoke" program I've heard about. What I'm really wondering is, besided just doing karaoke, how do you guys out there handle the filler music (the 2-3 songs played when giving the singers a break)?
DanG2006

Post by DanG2006 »

I ran justkaraoke untill it crashed on me after switch back from winamp so I don't know how compatable it is with other audio players.
Personally, I only play filler if I only have three or four singers which is rare for me to do. I can't remember the last time I played a filler tune.
I run Compuhost which does it all. Basically works the same as Justkaraoke but with filler capability. You can run filler with winamp too if you have AutoKDJ. Just naming the songs to work with AutoKDJ is a pain.
Bigdog

Post by Bigdog »

My show is continuous so I have never used filler or dance sets.
Sabrina59

Post by Sabrina59 »

I use JustKaraoke ... if I want some filler music while waiting for a singer to get the mic, etc., I just throw on a karaoke song that has the vocal track.
Sabrina the Cat
letitrip

Post by letitrip »

karaokebob13 wrote:Thanks Bigdog,
Right now I'm toying around with winamp with the karaoke plugin. It seems to do all the features you've listed above. As far as I can tell, it's free. :) Is it too good to be true or shoul I look into this "JustKaraoke" program I've heard about. What I'm really wondering is, besided just doing karaoke, how do you guys out there handle the filler music (the 2-3 songs played when giving the singers a break)?
I use the AutoKDJ plugin for WinAmp and I love it. It's not too good to be true, it is free and does all of what is mentioned above and more. It does keep a history of the songs each singer performs. My guests love that feature. The only downfall at all is that your songs have to have a specific naming convention (disc id - artist - title) but I haven't had any problems with that. It's a pretty cool little deal and the price is right.
Let It Rip Karaoke
DJ Tony
http://www.letitripkaraoke.com
Bigdog

Post by Bigdog »

how do you guys out there handle the filler music (the 2-3 songs played when giving the singers a break)?

Why do KJs feel the singers need to take a break?

Every singer I have ever had at any of my shows has never said we need a break because we don't want to sing. That's what karaoke is all about singers....singing.