Acesonic dgx-109

Your comments, questions, or opinions on any karaoke related hardware.
Unlimited MP3+G Downloads
alfalfa4381

Acesonic dgx-109

Post by alfalfa4381 »

Does anyone have any experience with Acesonic equipment? Do you think it is good stuff? What do you think of this unit - it looks like you can play MP3-gs from USB hard drives, Jump drives, and, and SD cards. It also plays CDGs, DVDs, and has 5.1 surround sound. If this is a good unit I won't need a laptop, it can do it all. Here is a link to the specs:

http://www.acekaraoke.com/acesonic-dgx- ... rding.html

letitrip

Post by letitrip »

Acesonic is just like a Nady, Gemini or the countless other off-name discount brands. Look at it this way. The kit you linked to comes with the player and 2 Microphones yet costs what 2 good microphones should cost on their own (Shure SM-58 avilable for $99 almost everywhere). That should give you a hit as to quality.
Let It Rip Karaoke
DJ Tony
http://www.letitripkaraoke.com
How to Build a Home Karaoke System
Bigdog

Post by Bigdog »

Why does everyone want to go into business as cheap as possible? :shock: :?

That's what you will end up with. A Cheap business. Cheap sounding & cheap looking.

No serious singers ask other singers to go to crappy sounding karaoke to sing. :o C'mon.... We'll sound like crap..... it will be sooooo much fun. :roll:

Quality attracts quality. In the singers you attract. In the places that you will play. In the fee you can charge. In the way people talk about you.

I shop for quality not price. There are not to many items in this world that are good and cheap.
alfalfa4381

Post by alfalfa4381 »

The price wasn't what I was concerned about, I asked about quality. And, thank you for answering that question. Why is it on this board when someone asks a question to learn about this business that he/she gets lamblasted all the time? Another person posted a question recently about needing to find songs for a top ten oldies show idea he has, and you all treated him like he was an idiot. Do you not want new people to visit your board??
Since it appears to me that you think I must be a cheapskate, I will tell you that I know nothing about karaoke players such as this, so I am asking to learn. As far as sound equipment, I know it inside out and own $$$$$$ of it, and it's all high end stuff. Money is no problem, I am always willing to pay more to get quality. As you all know, electronic equipment is coming down in price, and there is great quality to be found at more reasonable prices these days. I also know that in sound equipment, sometimes buying namebrand has an elevated price attached to it. On many websites I have found many, many CDG players in this price range, and many much cheaper. Gee, this unit was one of the higher priced ones out there. Some of the Cavs are selling for $130.00, and there are many inbetween.
I have been researching hardware for months now, and participating on this board and asking questions. Bigdog, I even took your advice on a few pieces and purchased them. But, as far as players, I have come across many like Cav, and Acesonic, and others, and these names are not known in the live sound and recording studio field that I come from. So, thank you letitrip, for answering exactly as I was hoping someone would.
Now, I guess I am about to ask another stupid question - what IS a good quality manufacturer of such equipment, and can you suggest a particular model?
DanG2006

Post by DanG2006 »

There hasn't been a reliable player since they discontinued the Pioneer Twin Tray.
wiseguy
Site Admin

Post by wiseguy »

alfalfa4381 wrote:Another person posted a question recently about needing to find songs for a top ten oldies show idea he has, and you all treated him like he was an idiot.
If you're referring to the topic started by OneTon111, he asked a vague question to which I gave a vague, albeit concise, answer. He responded accusing me of being condescending and that's when he was "treated like an idiot". And I was the only one to make any derogatory remarks.

As for this thread, that's just Bigdog being Bigdog and not an attack on you personally. He simply seizes any opportunity to boast about the "professionalism" of his karaoke business.
wiseguy
Site Admin

Post by wiseguy »

DanG2006 wrote:There hasn't been a reliable player since they discontinued the Pioneer Twin Tray.
I couldn't agree more. I own two of these players. For a decade one was used several nights a week to do shows while the other was there for backup. I never needed to bring out the backup. Of course this player doesn't have the ability to play from SD cards and USB drives.
DanG2006

Post by DanG2006 »

If I could find one, I would use it for an outside player so singers can bring their discs. Of course that means I have to get a video capture device.
letitrip

Post by letitrip »

alfalfa4381, I'd say avoid CAVS' players like the Plague. Everyone I know that's ever bought one hated it, including me. Their support sucks and their repair service is a joke (again I speak from personal experience). I do agree about the pioneer deck, if you could find one of those used (the triple deck was a nice one too) that would be a great option.

As for other quality brands, NuMark is actually one of the more popular among DJ's and KJ's. They make pretty good and reliable decks with nice features. I don't know about their support. Vocopro also makes some pretty feature rich decks, I don't know about their reliability but their support is great.

If you really want to go top of the line and money isn't a concern, then look at the Pioneer MEP-7000 series players. They're outstanding quality, very versatile but you'll also pay a serious premium to go that route. Most of the other players are in the $300-600 range, the MEP-7000 will run you around 2k.

Hope that helps.
Let It Rip Karaoke
DJ Tony
http://www.letitripkaraoke.com
alfalfa4381

Post by alfalfa4381 »

Thank you all, I have learned a lot from this thread. I originally was headed down the PC path, and will probably stay there now. THis Acesonic unit sounded like it would have been a better solution. Now I think I will continue along the PC path and get a hardware player just for when the serious karaoke singers bring their own CDGs with them.
So far I have all the sound equipment I need, two laptops, a VGA-CATV converter, and a RF modulator, and it is all working great. I only have bought about 300 songs so far, and I gotta say the ripping process sucks, but I am getting there. I will be glad when the CDG distributors get smart and start offering DVD data disks with MP3-g files in zip format. Downloading them one at a time is no fun. I want to be able to leagally buy hundreds of songs with one purchase, already in MP3-g format! Will it ever happen do you think?
Bigdog

Post by Bigdog »

As far as the boasting goes....I have seen many, many, many so called KJs waste all their money on crap systems that couldn't stand up to their competition. They ended up being unemployed real fast. Take my advice or leave it...but if you want to make money, it takes money.

As far as players go. I won't waste another nickel on a disc player ever again. ANYONES (I probably have at least 20 of them in my garage.) Discs are going by the way side. Computers and hard drives are the future. It may take some time and money to get set up, but once it's done, it's done. I use a PLEXTOR external USB DVD drive to play other peoples discs.

16 years ago the Pioneer Laser players were $1000 each. At todays prices what would they be????
Bigdog

Post by Bigdog »

The MEP-7000 looks real nice and I would consider using it, only if I had 2 of them hooked up in my system.

If any part of that combined unit needs repaired it all goes to the shop and now what do you play with? :wink:

There is no back up.

Then again you still have to man-handle discs. I will never go back to using discs. Too much hassle. Maintaining discs in top quality is very time consuming. The slightest scratch ruins them. Once they go out of production they cannot be replaced. Discs are just too delicate. And from my experience players are made to use in your house, not made to take the abuse of nightly professional work.
alfalfa4381

Post by alfalfa4381 »

Good advice Bigdog, I almost got lured in by the "looker", but now I see the error of my ways! I still think I need a player just for those singers who bring their own discs, don't you? Do you ever have singers bring their own discs?
djBe

Post by djBe »

i'm in the process of shopping for a hard disc player.

Looking at the Ubest DA-268 with on-board No-PC-neccessary disc capturing. Please, any feedback on this model appreciated! Not as versatile as PC-based but you can make a simple KJ promo screen for no-singer times. and i have to tell you all - I hate the way laptop hosting looks. It's just not appealing to me. I like my computer in my office on my desk! But CDGs all over the place are apain in the butt, too. And eventually they allget scratched. but if you go to hard drive hosting, how do you ensure your bad tracks (karaoke confetti, etc) aren't uploaded brfinging your problems to the next level with you?
Regarding CAVs players, I have had probems with them, too...but I have two good ones in my rig plus an acesonic and there are instances when one brand will play and other will not, and where one CAVs will play and the other not.
Visit my page on FB....Karaoke Karolina. Check out my store/studio/art gallery AXXTACY GUITARS & GEAR M-F 2PM-7PM, 5285 Main, Shallotte, NC. 910-795-9083