Song book creation...

Discuss CD+G's, VCD's, song book creators, and any other karaoke related software.
How to Build a Home Karaoke System
Intentional Heartache

Song book creation...

Post by Intentional Heartache »

After much thought and research into song book creators...I think I may try and put my programming skills to good use and try creating my own freeware version of one, since I can't find one that has all the features I want.
It wouldn't be anywhere as fancy as many of those that have the tracks already entered so you just select a CD-Label and go, you would be required to enter your own songs in, but so be it...

What features would people like to see? I know the basic ones, such as being able to print report by Artist and Song. Information that initally I could see as being captured would be:

Song
Artist
Track Number
Disc Number

I also thought of including
- a listing of Songs/CD's requested
- Logos printed on each page of the reports
- Song Request forms
- Maybe a classification (ie: rock, country or some other classification system like
Christmas, Halloween, Valentines (love songs)) I know some songs are hard to classify, but it might help for example if you wanted to print out a special book for Christmas, Halloween, or something of the like.

If anyone has any suggestions/comments I'd be interested to hear them. I have other ideas for it as well, but I know people just won't read long posts so I'll leave it at that for now...

IH

wiseguy
Site Admin

Post by wiseguy »

If anyone has any suggestions/comments I'd be interested to hear them.
Sounds like a great idea to me. I would like to see a songbook program that allows for creating multiple songbooks, lets you manually enter song titles with your own numbering system, has a versatile printing system where you can add a logo image and print in your choice of fonts and font sizes, and without the bloat of a disc database that needs to be constantly updated. It would be nice if it could import the Excel database for those who have already created their books in Excel.

A customizable request form printing function would also be a good feature. One that would allow you to place your logo and contact information on the forms. I'm not too sure if the category feature is needed. I have always simply created separate songbooks for various occasions and add the pages to my books when needed.

I wish you luck with this project and please keep us informed of your progress.
Unlimited MP3+G Downloads
Intentional Heartache

Thanks for the input if you have any other ideas please keep them coming.

Sounds like we would want very similar features. Wiseguy, would you be interested in reviewing the table structures and mock layout when I get them done? I'd like to have this a "complete" program that will do everything that I think it should do, but sometimes I just don't think of everything ;)

I have a personal deadline of getting another project done by September 18, but after that I hope to get started on thi. So any further comments and suggestion please send them along.

IH
wiseguy
Site Admin

Post by wiseguy »

Wiseguy, would you be interested in reviewing the table structures and mock layout when I get them done?
Sure, I will be happy to help in any way I can. There is one feature I forgot to mention. The ability to delete duplicate songs by a chosen criteria such as "song title" or "same song title and artist". Most songbook programs only allow you to delete duplicate discs.
Intentional Heartache

That wouldn't be hard at all...Would you want them to be displayed though, if the songs are by different companies? ie: Sunfly - Heartache Tonight and Sound Choice - Heartache Tonight?
wiseguy
Site Admin

Post by wiseguy »

That wouldn't be hard at all...Would you want them to be displayed though, if the songs are by different companies? ie: Sunfly - Heartache Tonight and Sound Choice - Heartache Tonight?
Since this software requires that all entries be manually inserted it would be a good idea to have an entry for manufacturer. This way there could be search and/or delete criteria for Title - Artist - Maker. Another good feature would be to provide a way to filter and display the songs by title, artist, manufacturer, or disc number.
Intentional Heartache

I just finished reviewing some of the features that you would like added...when you say adding in your "own numbering system" , what would this look like? I generally just reference my songs by a CD number and a track listing..ie: CD 91 track 2

I other people use various methods, so this songbook should try to account for as many different scenarios as possible.
wiseguy
Site Admin

Post by wiseguy »

Typically there are two numbering systems used. The type created by most songbook software that utilize the manufacturer's disc number and track number. For example: SC8627 - 12. This is the result of using a supplied discs database.

The other is a self-numbering system by disc number and track number as you described. This is the only logical approach. The only feature that I would like to see is the option to add an abbreviation of the disc maker. This would allow you to list duplicate songs (same title and artist) with a choice of disc manufacturer. For example: 274 - 11 - SC or 185 - 06 - CB. Many singers have disc brands that they prefer.
Intentional Heartache

understood.
Thanks for all your input btw. It's helping a lot.
DanG2006

Post by DanG2006 »

Intentional Heartache wrote:I just finished reviewing some of the features that you would like added...when you say adding in your "own numbering system" , what would this look like? I generally just reference my songs by a CD number and a track listing..ie: CD 91 track 2

I other people use various methods, so this songbook should try to account for as many different scenarios as possible.
How about the option to eliminate reference to manufacturer completely. As a digital Karaoke host I have no need of the disc and track numbers allowing more room for the song titles. Other than being able to know what artist the songs are when printed in a multi column format as the list of a single artist's songs move to another column or page yet have not run out of the previous column's/page's artist's song.
I.e. Elvis has a lot of songs available on karaoke that it could easily take three to four pages just for his stuff. If instead of just printing the artist's name for every track, to save ink, you could only print the artist name at the start of his songs and if the songs roll over to the next colmn or page, something like ARTIST NAME CONT. You would only need this feature for Artist listing. I would like to see these suggestions as options for those who choose to use them as I know there are people out there who might not want them.
mnementh

Post by mnementh »

A system I saw used in a Pub a good few years ago appealled to me, big time.

If you opened the book as normal, you got the song book sorted by Title. Pretty straightforward.

However, flip the book over and open it, the song book was sorted by Artist.

You would have to code the software to turn text upside down and in reverse order but would make for a versitile book.

Sandy
ZygsterZ

Post by ZygsterZ »

It would be great to have a program that can scan across a hard rive of all the songs (including zip files would be extra great) and create a CSV fie (comma separated variable) with each of the parameters as a separate variable (Title, Artist, CD title). Then we could use excel and do things like make a simplified list that eliminates duplicates. For a turnkey application, one that would create just such a list, but that can also create a list that eliminates duplicate titles. It would save a lot of paper to have a karaoke book for people that don't want to see 50 entries for Sweet Caroline.

Thanks for the generous offer of writing a program.
wiseguy
Site Admin

Post by wiseguy »

Intentional Heartache seems to have stepped off the edge of the earth. I wonder if the song book project ever went anywhere?
Sabrina59

Post by Sabrina59 »

I use Song List Creator from Latshaw Systems. It does almost everything mentioned in this thread. The cost is $79.
Generate professional song books from your MP3, MP3+G karaoke, or video files in just a few clicks! Song List Generator simply reads the music files right from your hard drive and creates a printable book of songs, sliced and diced any way you want (by Artist, Title, DiscID, multi-column, various font sizes, custom messages, custom paper and margin sizes). Exports to PDF format that you can have professionally printed or posted on your web site to download! Advanced users can export raw song data to Microsoft Excel® for further processing. If you use binders with punch holes and want to print double sided, Song List Generator can alternate the left and right margins on odd/even pages for maximum space on each page.

- Reads the files right from your hard drive. No database maintenance required! Reads either file name format or MP3 ID tag.
- Save space by adjusting font size and generating multiple columns per page
- Save space in your karaoke song books by eliminating song duplicates and displaying the different versions all on the same line
- Utilize the maximum space on your pages with adjustable margins
- For pages with binder punch holes, alternate left and right margins on odd and even page numbers for double sided printing
- Automatically correct for underscores and common capitalization problems
- Supports MP3, MP4, MP3+G, MP3+G Zip, AAC, KAR, KFN, KMA, KMF, KOK, MID, MOV, MPEG, WMA, and more.
Here is the link if any are interested: http://latshawsystems.com/ProductDetail ... rator.aspx

Within minutes (literally) of me purchasing this program, Tracerasoft came out with their Song Book Creator for $25.
Features of Song Book Creator Include:

Custom Logo Header
Custom Header and Footer
Custom Font Selection and Size
Header Grouping and Sorting
Single or Double Column Layout
Options for Bold and Italics
Database Management
Remove Duplicates
Media Type Selection
Print Preview of first page
Import from TriceraSoft product databases
Here is the link if any are interested: http://tricerasoft.com/Song_Book_Creator.html

Both of these programs have free trials. While free is always a better price, I think that the first program would fulfill all of the suggestions.
Sabrina the Cat
mnementh

Post by mnementh »

At the moment, I use either Excel and do a very simple spreadsheet type book, or I use Song List Generator by Latshaw Systems.

However, if you really want to exercise your programming skills, try this on for size.

I would really like a duplicate file finder that could "find" simply by sections of the ZIP filename, i.e. by the Disc ID, or the Artist Name and ignore the rest of the filename.

Also, a means of detecting Artist names and allowing me to "check" against names that are back to front, i.e. Stewart Rod instead of Rod Stewart

That should get the creative juices flowing, for a start. :lol: 8)

Sandy