New system info Vocopro or RSQ HELP!!!!!

Your comments, questions, or opinions on any karaoke related hardware.
Unlimited MP3+G Downloads
Mandm4you

New system info Vocopro or RSQ HELP!!!!!

Post by Mandm4you »

Hi I am looking to get a good karaoke system. One of the systems with the player, speakers and amp built into one case. I can spend around $500 dollars. I am totally new to karaoke and have been looking around on the internet. It seems that there are a few of big names out there, Vocopro, RSQ, Audio2000, ETC. What does everyone think about these manufacturers? What similar systems does anyone recomend? I am looking at the RSQ Echo Plus or Vocopro Colt type systems. Any info would be fantastic, not to mention any info for a beginning karaoke system buyer. Thanks alot.............Mickey

wiseguy
Site Admin

Post by wiseguy »

I'm guessing that you want this system to use at home and/or take with you to parties. From feedback I've received the VocoPro Colt seems to be the preferred portable unit for your price range. I've had a chance to try it out and found it to be easy to operate and adequate for small rooms.

If you don't need the system to be portable, and you already have a good home stereo system, you might want to consider adding a karaoke player as a system component. Add a couple mics and you're ready to go.

For more detailed information on home karaoke systems see my page at http://www.karaoke-tutor.com/karaoke-at-home/index.html

Rick
Mandm4you

Post by Mandm4you »

I am definitely looking to have a system that is totally portable. I have a big family and we have a lot of parties. We rent a space for many of them. I figure it will be fun and it can also be used as sound system on many other occasions. What do you hear about the vocopro Idol? I see there are separate components in the one box, the player and amplifier. Would it be smarter to spend more to get the separate componets? Perhaps in the future I would need to update the player?
wiseguy
Site Admin

Post by wiseguy »

The VocoPro Colt and the Idol are basically big "boom boxes". These types of systems are fine for smaller rooms. Their big disadvantage is in the speaker placement. The speakers are "fixed" in the unit which doesn't allow for maximum coverage of larger rooms. It sounds to me like you may be better off with a component system. This consists of an amp, a player, and separate speakers. An example can be seen at http://www.acekaraoke.com/hvcpks0390.html. This system is easily portable although it does require setting up each time you use it. Not a big deal after you do it a couple times. The big advantage here is the ability to space the speakers which gives much better room coverage, better sound quality, and less chance of microphone feedback. You can also easily upgrade this type of setup if needed by adding a bigger amp and/or larger speakers.
kjgreg

Post by kjgreg »

I would agree with wiseguy and build a component system. Gives you more versatility and a better system all around. I would stay away from Vocopro if possible. Rsq puts out great players.
wiseguy
Site Admin

Post by wiseguy »

There was a time when I would readily agree with the VocoPro opinion but they have improved their products immensely over the past couple years. I have never owned an RSQ machine but a few KJ's in my area have experienced mechanical problems with these players. Anyway, I would not trade my Pioneer dual tray player for any other. I put that thing through all kinds of abuse and it just keeps on playing like it was new.
kjgreg

Post by kjgreg »

I do have a older vocopro mixer so my expierence is with it. Almost every kj I speek to say to stay away from them.
Eat, Sleep, Sing Karaoke, Fight Fire = Eat, Sleep, Fight Fire, Sleep, Sing Karaoke
Mandm4you

Post by Mandm4you »

I like the versatility of a component system, but it is the portability issue I am worried about. I do not really want to have to carry in speaker stands, cords, etc, and make multiple trips out the van, then spend the time to set it all up. I think that I am willing to sacrifice some things for the sake of portability and ease of set up. Also, this is my first system, I should be able to add extra speakers later on. I may just want too much. I guess the perfect system would be one that had a portable case with removable speakers and a rack system on top that could handle all the components I need but not be too cumbersome. Ok how about features like multiplex and vocal cancel, some of the players list these and some don't. How important are they? ........thanks Mickey
wiseguy
Site Admin

Post by wiseguy »

It sounds to me like you're set on getting an all-in-one unit. It might just work out alright for your purposes. There are several features found on various karaoke players. Some are very useful and some are virtually useless. Here are a few examples.

Vocal Cancel (usually referred to as a vocal reducer) - This feature is supposed to reduce the lead vocals on a regular audio CD. Effective on very few CD's and always drastically degrades the sound quality. You don't need this feature.

Multiplex - Some karaoke discs are "multiplex" which means that they include lead vocal tracks of each song along with separate karaoke tracks. The vocal tracks are there to help you learn to sing the song correctly. The multiplex feature on karaoke players is an outdated concept that serves no purpose with modern karaoke discs. You don't need this feature.

Digital Key Control - Used to change the key of the song being played to suit the singer's voice range. This is a very important feature that you will definitely want.

Single Play - Simply allows you to set the player to stop at the end of each song. Remarkably some players don't have this feature. Make sure that the one you buy does.