Rotation size and song lists and more

Anything that doesn't fit in another category.

Is this your main job?

Yes
50%
No
50%

Total votes: 8

LarryKaraoke

Rotation size and song lists and more

Post by LarryKaraoke »

OK, here's a question or 2...
First, a little background. The bar I KJ for is a smaller neighborhood Sports Bar and Grill but the "Grill" closes when my show starts. 75% or the clientele know each other. Very diverse crowd. Show is 5 hrs. 9 till 2 Fri. Sat. It's one of the older Karaoke venues in Edmonton.

Now to the questions...lol

1) What do you, as the Host, find to be a comfortable rotation size, how do you add in new singers and how often do you sing? And what was your largest rotation?
I like about 7 to 10. 7, if I feel like singing, 10, if I don't. Below 7, they run out of their fav songs too fast, and over 10, they don't get to sing all their fav songs. Also, over 10, I don't get to play with the audience as much as I and They like as I'm busy on the comp updating lists. A new singer is added 1 or 2 songs after I get their song request. Really impresses them and unless 10 or so new singers walk in at the same time, others don't mind. If a bunch come in at the same time, I add them 2 at a time to the list and the current singer see that they are still getting to sing, so again, don't mind too much. . My largest CLUB rotation was 32 singers for about 4 hrs. My largest rotation was about 75 at an out door small town community event, with 75% being younger teens. And they all waited..lol That was my all time fav show..

2) Do you allow saved song lists for regulars, how do you deal with it, like it? hate it?
I never liked it and hate it more and more, but the owner likes it too much to change.
We have regulars that we keep song lists for. These songs are reserved for them and pretty much only them. ( not my doing, bar owner policy.) If a new singer comes in, we ask the reg if it's OK for a new singer to sing that song. MOST are OK, but if a reg sais no, the NEW singer is told it's already spoken for. If another reg or semi reg asks, they are told right off the bat that it's spoken for. I personally don't like this, and have had to work hard at smoothing the waters. And, some of them have the same song in their lists. These are from before I started. Some come one day then not the next so THAT song got put also on THAT persons list.. See where this is going. I love this bar and the patrons, but there are some VERY **** singers when it comes to THEIR songs..

3) What is your MOST hated song...? lol
For me, Picture by KR & SC. EVERY girl that thinks she can sing asks me to sing it with them. I didn't mind the song, (don't like Kid R ) but it has become the BANE of my Karaoke Show..lol

4) Why and/or how did you get into this business....?

I use to sing in bars and lounges. I WAS probably the Original Leisure Suite Larry Lounge Singer..lol
I have to take a lot of drugs for pain and it affected my ability to remember the words, so had to quit singing. Many years passed, and along came Karaoke and I was able to sing again. So as soon as I could afford it. I was off and singing again. I hate drunks, but I love singing and hosting.

OK, your turn...lol

Larry the Karaoke Guy
Copy Catz Karaoke
99th St. Rosies' Bar and Grill
Edmonton, AB

DanG2006

Re: Rotation size and song lists and more

Post by DanG2006 »

LarryKaraoke wrote:OK, here's a question or 2...
First, a little background. The bar I KJ for is a smaller neighborhood Sports Bar and Grill but the "Grill" closes when my show starts. 75% or the clientele know each other. Very diverse crowd. Show is 5 hrs. 9 till 2 Fri. Sat. It's one of the older Karaoke venues in Edmonton.

Now to the questions...lol

1) What do you, as the Host, find to be a comfortable rotation size, how do you add in new singers and how often do you sing? And what was your largest rotation?
I like about 7 to 10. 7, if I feel like singing, 10, if I don't. Below 7, they run out of their fav songs too fast, and over 10, they don't get to sing all their fav songs. Also, over 10, I don't get to play with the audience as much as I and They like as I'm busy on the comp updating lists. A new singer is added 1 or 2 songs after I get their song request. Really impresses them and unless 10 or so new singers walk in at the same time, others don't mind. If a bunch come in at the same time, I add them 2 at a time to the list and the current singer see that they are still getting to sing, so again, don't mind too much. . My largest CLUB rotation was 32 singers for about 4 hrs. My largest rotation was about 75 at an out door small town community event, with 75% being younger teens. And they all waited..lol That was my all time fav show..
I sing every rotaion unless I reach about 8-10 singers in the rotation, then I take me out so that my singers can sing more.
LarryKaraoke wrote: 2) Do you allow saved song lists for regulars, how do you deal with it, like it? hate it?
I never liked it and hate it more and more, but the owner likes it too much to change.
We have regulars that we keep song lists for. These songs are reserved for them and pretty much only them. ( not my doing, bar owner policy.) If a new singer comes in, we ask the reg if it's OK for a new singer to sing that song. MOST are OK, but if a reg sais no, the NEW singer is told it's already spoken for. If another reg or semi reg asks, they are told right off the bat that it's spoken for. I personally don't like this, and have had to work hard at smoothing the waters. And, some of them have the same song in their lists. These are from before I started. Some come one day then not the next so THAT song got put also on THAT persons list.. See where this is going. I love this bar and the patrons, but there are some VERY **** singers when it comes to THEIR songs..
My computer program does it for me.
LarryKaraoke wrote: 3) What is your MOST hated song...? lol
For me, Picture by KR & SC. EVERY girl that thinks she can sing asks me to sing it with them. I didn't mind the song, (don't like Kid R ) but it has become the BANE of my Karaoke Show..lol
For me it is picture as well, especially if they need someone to sing it with them.
LarryKaraoke wrote: 4) Why and/or how did you get into this business....?

I use to sing in bars and lounges. I WAS probably the Original Leisure Suite Larry Lounge Singer..lol
I have to take a lot of drugs for pain and it affected my ability to remember the words, so had to quit singing. Many years passed, and along came Karaoke and I was able to sing again. So as soon as I could afford it. I was off and singing again. I hate drunks, but I love singing and hosting.
I got started because most of the Karaoke Hosts in the area I lived in at the time played favorites or ran a dj format form of karaoke where they did sets of related music and if your song choice didn't fit in where you handed your slip in you might see someone sing their second song before you even get your first. I figured that I knew a bit about electronics that I could do the job better than they were doing.
Unlimited MP3+G Downloads
spotlightjr

Post by spotlightjr »

Hey Larry,

Nice read! I love a pretty fast paced rotation with about 15 or more singers. I have the luxury of having my wife host with me so usually while one is handling the rotation the other schmoozes with the audience. I like it most when I cant sing at all because of customers waiting. I may sing the first song of the night but after that I am on standby if needed. I usually add singers as you do sprinkling in the new with the old. It depends.
My computer program allows me to have singers history which is very kool. They walk in and I say hey soandso want me to start you with "That's life"? It lets them know I remember them and makes them feel special. As far as getting their permission for others to sing their saved songs..... NEVER!!!! If any singer requests to sing a song and its not currentky in my queue then they can sing it. Period!! Its not fair any other way.
The list is pretty extensive but if I had to name a few it would definitely be paradise by the dashboard lights, followed closely by picture. Black velvet is pretty wore out as well. I could keep going but wont
Started originally going to karaoke shows around town and after seeing what was out there decided to host them at my house. Did that (and still do on occasion)for awhile until all my friends and acquaintances starting pumping us up to do our own shows out. We had already discussed it and I loved it as a hobby anyways. So off we went and will never look back.
LarryKaraoke

Post by LarryKaraoke »

I love the idea of co-hosts. One on machine, one out front. But in smaller venues like mine, that just isn't going to happen..lol
I always sing the first song as I have to make sure of sound. This place opens at noon and the room is small so it changes soo much from empty and full and, this system resets some of the sound settings when turned off, so have to reset it up every night. I get complimented lots on sound quality, so must be doing something right...lol
wiseguy
Site Admin

Post by wiseguy »

1) Give me 10 singers with 5 or six song requests each and I'm a happy camper. Of course this very rarely ever happens. My typical rotation is 25 to 30 singers. The largest I can think of was a New Years party were I had over a hundred so there were some disappointed people that night. My goal is to do my best to make sure that every person who turns in a request gets to sing at least once. So new singers are always placed near or at the top of the rotation. The exception(s) being those that walk in within the last half hour of the show. I never place myself in the singer rotation and only sing when requested to help with a duet. Every song I sing would take one away from someone in the crowd. While some KJs think they are there to entertain the people I feel I'm there to help the people entertain themselves.

2) I will NEVER reserve any song for any singer. It has been, and always will be, first come first serve. Knowing this, my regular singers show up early and turn in their song lists before anyone else has a chance to.

3) My most hated song is difficult to decide. There are so many vying for first place in this category. Let's just start by saying anything by Patsy Cline or Elvis. And if I never hear the song "Nobody" by Sylvia again it will be too soon.

4) I first got into this business some 16 years ago because of the unfair singer rotation that happened at every karaoke show I attended. I made my singers a promise right from the start and this is printed on the intro page of every song book "You will never see the same person sing twice before your next turn". I have yet to break that promise.
DanG2006

Post by DanG2006 »

Wiseguy, I would love to go to one of your shows as that is how I run mine as well.
letitrip

Post by letitrip »

1. My best shows are when I have about 15-20 singers each putting in a couple requests. It's a good pace and keeps things fresh without having to hear the same people sing over and over again. These are usually the shows where i have the most people dancing and the whole place just gets buzzin'. Like wiseguy, I always put new singers at or near the top (autoKDJ does this for me). The only time I put myself in the rotation is if it's slow

2. No I don't ever reserve songs. First come first serve is the only way it works.

3. My most hated song is Dixie Chicks "Goodbye Earl". Not even because I don't like the song but because it's always requested by a group of drunk women who, because they're drunk and singing in a group, end up yelling the entire song instead of singing it.

4. I got into this business after years of going to Karaoke where I realized that most KJ's fit into one of three categories: Category A - The Drinker - This is the KJ that drinks all show long and by midway through the night he's drunk and being a jerk. Playing favorites, singing over other singers, insulting people, etc. Category B - Boring KJ - These are the guys who just sit there on their stool calling one name after the next and maybe making a token attempt to get people to applaud for singers. No energy, no better than a jukebox. Category C - The Clueless Deaf - these are the guys who spent some money on a rig and think that it's no different than using their home stereo. They don't ask for help from professionals and you usually leave their shows with a bad headache.

I knew there had to be a better way, so I combined my knowledge of pro audio and some friends of mine from the pro audio world along with my knowledge and my original business partner's abilities for working a crowd with the goal of creating the most kick butt professional Karaoke around. He and I have since parted ways, each running our own businesses with the same goals in mind (I think I can speak for him on that).
Let It Rip Karaoke
DJ Tony
http://www.letitripkaraoke.com
Bigdog

Post by Bigdog »

With all the newer songs getting longer, the number of singers per hour keeps getting smaller. It seems that a rotation longer than an hour and people start getting mad. To keep people from being mad a smaller rotation is better. Might not be good for the bar but good for the singers and me. Usually the smaller the number of singers means a smaller number of listeners too. I would rather have a full house. It looks better for my reputation.

Reserving favorite songs for every singer.. :shock: ..soon all the songs will be reserved and everyone new won't even have to show up because there will be no songs to sing.

Best crowd killing idea I ever heard.... :roll: Chaulk up another for stupid bar owners. If I were the KJ I would have to mention that this is hurting my reputation and if I have to do it, you can kill your crowd with a different KJ. I won't work for jerk bar owners.

No bar owner is going to do anything to hurt my reputation when I do nothing to hurt theirs. No bar owner tells me how to run my rotation or any other part of my show. PERIOD

The word is out about that show and I guarantee the crowd size is being hurt by it. Primadonna karaoke... :? What's next??? Singer rotation reservations???? Sorry I'm full for this week try next week... :lol:

I knew karaoke was something I could make money doing after I became a junkie 4-5 nights a week. Borrowed $20,000 16 years ago and started my business. Been going steady ever since. I went to many karaoke shows before I started to see the good and bad. Took all the good things and put them together. My competition seems to be using all the bad things.
Sabrina59

Post by Sabrina59 »

1. I like a rotation of 10 - 15 singers. People are there to sing, not necessarily to listen to others sing. A smaller rotation allows them to get more singing in. Our show is in a local deli so we wouldn't even have room for a huge rotation, and that is fine. The largest we had was 26 singers, the place was packed. New singers go in at the end of the rotation. Hubby and I both sing until we get to 10, then I take myself out.

2. Prior to going to the computer, we did keep lists for our regulars; now the software does that for us. When they come in I just pick a song for them. Sometimes they bring me a list of songs they want to do, other times I just pick for them all night. I absolutely would never reserve a song for someone.

3. I can't think of a most hated song. My biggest issue is that some of the regulars only have a few songs that they do. It gets boring listening to them do the same songs every week.

4. Hubby and I fell into this job. The deli owner sponsors my step-sons motocross racing. Hubby was talking to her one day and she said she was going to have karaoke. We kept checking back with her and eventually she said the person who was going to do it flaked and asked him if we could do the show. We started out as one of bigdog's worst nightmares ... just our home unit and about 4,000 songs. (Luv ya, bigdog :wink: ) We now have about 10,000 songs and have professional equipment. Hubby is a cabinet maker so he built a custom cabinet for everything to fit in. Now everything sounds and looks pretty good, if I do say so myself!

I've only had one issue with KJ's in this area. For the most part, they are all very fair in their rotation and have great personalities.
mnementh

Post by mnementh »

Don't know about you guys venues but what really bugs me is that the early end of the night, nobody wants to sing, 'cause they haven't had enough "Dutch" courage and by the night's end they're all pi**ed and think they're Pavarotti.

My problem is that most of my "regulars" are One Hit Wonders, so a good sized rotation is my preference.

Like the guys above, I usually do a "middle of the road" number at the start to make sure the gear is set up correctly and then set about entertaining the crowd.

I sometimes throw in a "wee" competition question from time to time, for a drink to the winner. I have to be devious with this as everyone seems to have WAP phones, these days and just Google for the answer :( I usually pick an obscure song or band name, like "What's the full title of IN THE YEAR 2525 by Zegar & Evans"? That stumps 'em, good and proper.

Anybody here know the answer, by the way? You're on the honour system, so no checking lists, discs or Googling for it.

Most unfavourite song by a long way is Coward of the County :roll:

Apart from the fact that I detest Country music in general, the host of a karaoke I used to go to used to do "Coward" as his finishing tune every single night. I was going bananas after a while.

I even offered money for anyone that would get me a karaoke version where the Gatlin' Boys kick the living cr*p out of the hero :mrgreen:

I also believe in the "First come, first served" policy. Nobody has the sole rights to ANY song.

Sandy
LarryKaraoke

Post by LarryKaraoke »

Well, I convinced the owner to axe the reserved lists. Some are not happy about it, but they seem to be accepting it.

Another pet peeve of mine, is not having up to date books. I have about 15K extra songs on the hard drive that are not in the book yet. So I announce that, and end up spending so much time looking up songs for customers. Owner IS planning to to get new books this or next week. Yeah right. lol

And a new thing. I am going to start broadcasting the Shows live on internet radio soon. Was going to go with video, but a few customers don't like that idea,m so will just do audio for now..
Sabrina59

Post by Sabrina59 »

Congrats on getting rid of the reserved list!!

In my opinion a current book is a must. You shouldn't have to be looking up songs for the singers. I'd be tempted to not announce it at all.
Sabrina the Cat
Bigdog

Post by Bigdog »

Bar owners are the last people on earth to take advice from as far as running a karaoke show. Most of them can't run their bars right.

I want the bar to make the most money it can. I'm doing everything in my power to help them do this. Stupid ideas from bar owners, I don't need.

My song books are listed by artist. I have a book by song title.

Most of the time people don't know the name of the artist or the real song title. We end up playing name that tune to figure out the song they want.

I don't have a problem searchin songs for people.
LarryKaraoke

Post by LarryKaraoke »

I don't mind searching for songs for singers that truly need the help. But the ones who know the song and/or artist take up more time than needed, so I end up not helping to " entertain " or having to rush the others. Hopefully it will be done in the next cpl weeks.

:roll:
Sabrina59

Post by Sabrina59 »

I agree ... if a person really needs help to find a song I have no problem helping them. I like the ones that come up with a few of the words to the song and we have to figure out what it is; challenges are a good thing.

You shouldn't have to rush the other singers or not be able to "entertain" because the books aren't current. Sounds like you're getting the bar owner whipped into shape. :D Congrats!